Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Following the discussion that got started in this thread I wondered whether there is a 'walk-thru' of how to file a bug?

It would be really handy if someone who is familiar with bugzilla could create something, preferably with screen shots to enable ordinary bears to submit bugs. Right now, that's one of the most scary bits of the whole site. Or is there already something I am missing?

Anyone up for this?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
You can't go wrong with reading https://bugs.maemo.org/page.cgi?id=bug-writing.html once before submitting your first bug. Other than that, filling in the details requested and using common sense should be enough.

And don't worry if you get some things wrong, that's what the bugsquad is for :-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Thank you. That's a start!

Not that I have a bug yet. Or a device to find one in. But I'd hate to find myself with a bug and not know how to file it.

Or worse, I'd hate n900 to go down as buggy and unstable because the majority of users don't know how to file a bug.

Windoze etc does it all for you (if you want it to). I'm not particularly in favour of automated bug filing, but I can see advantages if it means the dev gets more useful information.

And I LOVE the idea of there being a bug-squad!

I thought there was already an easier-to-use alternative to Bugzilla? Certainly remember reading about it but I can't remember its name.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Andre also posted some tips in the interview I conducted with him last year.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I thought there was already an easier-to-use alternative to Bugzilla? Certainly remember reading about it but I can't remember its name.
Brainstorm? That is for ideas, not bugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Could it be the guided form? I don't think it's quite ready yet, but it's being worked on.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Brainstorm? That is for ideas, not bugs.
Well, Bugzilla sure as heck isn't suitable for ordinary users to report bugs with. It wasn't designed for that at all. It's great for people who know what they're doing but it's terrible for anyone else.

No matter how good the tutorials or walkthroughs are, most everyday users will never go to the trouble of using a site like Bugzilla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Well, Bugzilla sure as heck isn't suitable for ordinary users to report bugs with. It wasn't designed for that at all. It's great for people who know what they're doing but it's terrible for anyone else.

No matter how good the tutorials or walkthroughs are, most everyday users will never go to the trouble of using a site like Bugzilla.
I agree with this statement, but I'm not sure of the underlying implication.

Are you saying that you don't want ordinary users filing bugs? Or that a simpler system which enabled ordinary users would be useful?

I realise that bug-filing is a serious process: files need to be concise, accurate and above all informative. And I realise there's understandable anxiety about what sort of filing might happen if it were easier (God help us if bug-filing went the way of shipping threads!)

But I think involving ordinary users in the process might head off a lot of grumbling about bugs and fixes. And might introduce a whole lot more people to this element of Open Community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Are you saying that you don't want ordinary users filing bugs?
All users (who's "ordinary" anyway?) are definitely welcome. It's really not that complicated, just describe the problem and be specific: "I do A, B and C expecting X to happen but I get Y instead" good, "Make foo better, oh and by the way baz sucks" bad. If for whatever reason the triagers can't reproduce the problem and need more information we'll ask for it.

If anyone is feeling a bit intimidated, do browse existing bug reports to get a feel of the general flow.

But I think involving ordinary users in the process might head off a lot of grumbling about bugs and fixes. And might introduce a whole lot more people to this element of Open Community.
Indeed. I think the main "problem" is not that bugzilla is complicated but that most people have never experienced this level of feedback and interaction with a vendor/community before.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: