Active Topics

Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
I did not ask for any promises or release dates. I'm simply asking if those features are in the agenda or not. It's not a classified nuclear bomb. You make it sound as though it's unheard of. Here is an example:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
An open source free software platform isn't a commercial product, is it?

I'm just trying to help you understand why your questions won't get an answer in a ".org" forum.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
10. Will there be regularly scheduled (ie monthly) firmware updates?
Nokia does not announce any specific dates for their software updates.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Maybe it's time that they start doing it.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
This isn't just a problem with Nokia and I'm sure people are getting just plain tired of it.

Before I owned the N900 I was nothing short of a mac fanboy. I owned the iphone, upgraded to the 3G and had a macbook pro. In the end, Apple lost me not just because their products were overpriced - but because I could never plan around anything they were to release or update.

Now it sounds like I've fallen for another company that works in the same manner of secrecy where they think surprise announcements will win them credit.

Nokia - if you are lurking around here, realise you have made a device that is open source and have a community that loves to create, test, fix and learn with you. You don't need to be secretive and even if your afraid of not being able to meet a due date - if you tell us what your doing and even how we can help on a daily/weekly/monthly basis you will win soooo much more support and really let Maemo grow.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
I really don't understand what you hope to accomplish. No one would be able to speak in an official capacity on any of those points, from any company, on any product, in an open forum.

Seriously. There just is no way it would happen. It's never happened.
You can't be serious. Tons of companies have these people called community representatives. Their job is to convey information from end users to developers/management and vice versa.

As Corso85 said this is not a classified nuclear bomb. It is not unreasonable for customers to ask simple questions on issues that detract from the quality of the device (pretty significantly in my opinion).

And no, the end user shouldn't have to dig through bugzilla / irc / mailing lists / dog-slow-garage server in order to get information about these issues.

I thank you all for your kind replies. I "almost" have all my questions answered.

It seems MMS will be 3rd party. atleast for now. I'm fine with that.

However, no word on Portrait Mode.

I understand the possibility of a global portrait mode is not strong for Maemo 5. it seems to be a Maemo 6 planned feature.

And we cannot claim we didn't see this coming. The N900 Logo IS PRINTED on the phone in Landscape after all.

HOWEVER, and again I plead with the devs. how about a compromise?

We just need the following things to be Portrait. That's all. at-least for me.
1. Menu for launching stuff (and if possible the file manager)
2. SMS/Conversations
3. Email
4. On-Screen Portrait Keyboard (uKeyboard mod? I can help just tell me what to do)
5. Browser
6. Media Player (If video is too tough, then just music will do. Yes I know there is Pennuci for audio, but the built in player is better)

Just give me those 6. And I'll be happy along with many others.

The Desktop, icons, widgets can remain Landscape. I don't mind.

Using the Braek glitch, many of those work just fine in Portrait. so we're like almost there.

Last edited by Corso85; 2010-01-08 at 17:09.