I would be very interested in this feature as well, if only on GSM/3G. Battery life takes a huge hit when I remain connected to the network, likely due to the radio constantly searching for signal.

Hi

I noticed that leaving my GPRS (2G EDGE, no 3G) connection on all the time drains the battery faster than when it is always off. For the widgets such as the weather application, it will only update every 4 hours when there is an active internet connection. Is there a way to set the phone to auto connect to gprs when a widget/app requests it and then automatically disconnect after transfer is complete?

This would significantly improve my battery life instead of leaving gprs connected all day when it is not in use.

Last edited by woodyear99; 2010-01-07 at 14:22.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
As far as I know.. There's no such thing.. I might be wrong though! :/

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
This does not seem to be a usecase - and for sure our battery life would improve a lot or we had to click less - Nokia had in mind with this communication/facebook/youtube/flash enabled device.
But now being in the hands of real world users taking care about connection costs/battery life they might re-thing - hopefully...

Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Hi

I noticed that leaving my gprs connection on all the time drains the battery faster than when it is off. For the widgets such as the weather application, it will only update every 4 hours when there is an active internet connection. Is there a way to set the phone to auto connect to gprs when a widget/app requests it and then automatically disconnect after transfer is complete?

This would significantly improve my battery life instead of leaving gprs connected all day when it is not in use.

Go to settings, internet connections, choose "always ask", then save.

To manually connect to the web, you can either tap on the web "globe icon", any bookmark site,etc. It will prompt you to connect to internet or GPRS.

To connect or disconnect just tap the top screen icons (battery or 3g/2G network icon). A drop down menu will appear. Info about battery, profile, clock.alarm, internet connections, bluetooth, usb. Tap the internet connection and will give you options/selections. from there you can connect or disconnect from internet.

I wish I could show you screen shots but don't know how to do screen shots.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bugslife For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bugslife View Post
Ctrl + Shift + P
To take a scr shot, the image file is saved in /home/user/MyDocs/.images/Screenshots/

/Wheatbisc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wheatbisc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bugslife View Post
Go to settings, internet connections, choose "always ask", then save.

To manually connect to the web, you can either tap on the web "globe icon", any bookmark site,etc. It will prompt you to connect to internet or GPRS.

To connect or disconnect just tap the top screen icons (battery or 3g/2G network icon). A drop down menu will appear. Info about battery, profile, clock.alarm, internet connections, bluetooth, usb. Tap the internet connection and will give you options/selections. from there you can connect or disconnect from internet.

I do not want to manually connect to the internet, I want it to automatically connect when widgets/apps request data at their intervals, once data transfers have been done I want it to disconnect the gprs connection. That would improve battery life since I noticed that just leaving the gprs connection running all day drains the battery faster even when not in use.

Last edited by woodyear99; 2010-01-07 at 12:49.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
As stated many times before putting the Phone settings to GSM (2G) really is good for the battery and is good enough for calling/im.

It would be great to have an easy way to switch between 2G/3G.
so you can activate 3G when needed.

Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
I do not want to manually connect to the internet, I want it to automatically connect when widgets/apps request data at their intervals, once data transfers have been done I want it to disconnect the gprs connection. That would improve battery life since I noticed that just leaving the gprs connection running all day drains the battery faster even when not in use.
Er thats how UMTS 3g works. It turns off the tranciever and receiver power needs when in active. The technical terms are Discontounius Transmission and reception DTX/DRX. It has some intelligence on what the turn off vs turn on times are also,especially important when making voice calls or there is a delay in traffic, you dont want the link to drop cause the system turned of the power.

heres a good overview.

http://www.csee.umkc.edu/csee-semina...377,6,Overview

I find that my wifi consumes more power when I am out and about if I leave it on autoscan as its alwas hunting for wifi connections.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
I should have specified, I do not have 3G only 2G edge service. Phone is set to 2g only, does not seem to automatically disconnect after weather updates etc. I can confirm that leaving my 2G EDGE connected all day reduces battery life even when not in use.

Last edited by woodyear99; 2010-01-07 at 14:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to woodyear99 For This Useful Post:

Tags
automatic, connect, connect automatically, connect on activity, connect on demand, connect on use, data, data connection, disconnect, disconnect automatically, disconnect when idle, fremantle, gprs, internet, maemo, maemo 5, n900, on demand, on use