Hi,

I got a Nokia N9 with pr1.3. Last night I experienced something strange. I had put the phone down for some minutes when I heard sounds coming from it. It sounded like some generic "sorry, cannot place this call" pre-recorded thing. I picked the phone up but there was no call going on. When I checked the call logs I noticed an outgoing call minutes earlier. The call was to a number I do not have in my contacts and it lasted for 16 seconds.
When I checked open apps I noticed there was some map app active with, at least what I think was, my gps location showing. I did not start this app.

I immediately turned the phone off and have not turned it on since.

What do you think about this? Was the phone hacked or am I just being paranoid?
When I first got the phone I registered the "track & protect"-thing. Could it be related to this?

Im thinking about connecting the phone to the computer backing up my contacts and then flashing the device. Do you think it's necessary?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Wow this would be amazing! Has our beloved N9 garned such popularity that there are attempts to hack it?

Jokes aside, I've never heard of this scenario from anyone yet...Maybe search the number that was being called on google and see if its a known scam call? You said you got a Nokia N9 with pr1.3; AFAIK that's not how its usually sold new so did you get it second-hand? If so, its always advisable to do a clean full flash before using it...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Wow this would be amazing! Has our beloved N9 garned such popularity that there are attempts to hack it?

Jokes aside, I've never heard of this scenario from anyone yet...Maybe search the number that was being called on google and see if its a known scam call? You said you got a Nokia N9 with pr1.3; AFAIK that's not how its usually sold new so did you get it second-hand? If so, its always advisable to do a clean full flash before using it...
I know, right?

I did a quick search for the number but didn't come up with anything. I'll boot up real quick and try it again later.
Sorry for being unclear - I bought it new before pr1.1 was realeased and have OTA upgraded it. I have not flashed it before.

Last edited by Chuxie; 2012-09-20 at 09:44. Reason: punctuation

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Maybe you can also share the number here then as well as the "map app" that was showing your location...

Maybe you can also share the number here then as well as the "map app" that was showing your location...
I had the same call-hack on my phone few month a go, that in about five minuts time, four calls has ben made from my phone and riping of 0.50c€ or 1€ and i have the nambers on my call-loog...but this numbers are not part of my contact list and don't know of what country they are from...when ones i saw it's call active and unknown number to me, i rejected call activity instantly on red buton and i saw the maps app was launched...than i sweep down it...i only know that on that particular day i installed "waazap" app...then after it happen that calls, i uninstalled waazup...and forgot it...newer used again...i could post numbers in here if it's alowed..but anyway it was hack for sure!:-(

Last edited by An9; 2012-09-20 at 10:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to An9 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ France 55
nobodies had sounds coming from the speaker ?
Sometimes i ear the sound of the data coming on my phone, you know that mobile phone sound you can ear when you make a call near speakers.

Originally Posted by Chuxie View Post
Hi,

I got a Nokia N9 with pr1.3. Last night I experienced something strange. I had put the phone down for some minutes when I heard sounds coming from it. It sounded like some generic "sorry, cannot place this call" pre-recorded thing. I picked the phone up but there was no call going on. When I checked the call logs I noticed an outgoing call minutes earlier. The call was to a number I do not have in my contacts and it lasted for 16 seconds.
When I checked open apps I noticed there was some map app active with, at least what I think was, my gps location showing. I did not start this app.

I immediately turned the phone off and have not turned it on since.

What do you think about this? Was the phone hacked or am I just being paranoid?
When I first got the phone I registered the "track & protect"-thing. Could it be related to this?

Im thinking about connecting the phone to the computer backing up my contacts and then flashing the device. Do you think it's necessary?
Where have you bought your N9?

one of the possibilities might be that this is some kind of tracking app, that allows the owner to track its device when it gets stolen.

I have an app like this on my Macbook (Sends me an email with a picture from the webcam + the name of the network to wich it is connected when i send a command to it.)

In my car I have installed a box with sim card and GPS that can do the following things:

- Send me the gps coördinates through mail or sms
- Warn me when the car starts moving between certain times
- Call me, and let me hear what's going on in the car

This might be something similar, so if you have bought a used N9, I would start worrying that it might have been stolen or something like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to edbanger For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by edbanger View Post

one of the possibilities might be that this is some kind of tracking app, that allows the owner to track its device when it gets stolen.

I have an app like this on my Macbook (Sends me an email with a picture from the webcam + the name of the network to wich it is connected when i send a command to it.)

In my car I have installed a box with sim card and GPS that can do the following things:

This might be something similar, so if you have bought a used N9, I would start worrying that it might have been stolen or something like that.
I don't use any of this...not even maps...yes it might be tracking kind off...but is activating our phones calls to international numbers to steal our credits€€$$...i think the waazup app was programed to activate and steal our credits on the phone.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich or Luxembourg
I don't believe that it's caused by wazapp, hundreds of people are using it and don't have this problem. Wazapp is also programmed by guys of the community, with free accessible code, so if someone puts evil code in it, it would be noticed by others.

however, it's really strange and scary behaviour of your phones!

The Following User Says Thank You to Scharel For This Useful Post:
Looked up the number again. It belongs to some sort of restaurant. When I looked it up I realize that when I checked last night their webpage was open in the browser! I have never heard of it before and I sure did not open it in my browser.

I don't want to share the number right now in case they're not involved in this :P Anyway it does not seem to be a known scam number.

I had no apps running when I put the phone away.
I can't figure out what app was showing my location(if it was). I have not used any of the builtin maps too much...
I was kind of spooked out so I just turned off the device as fast as I could :/

Originally Posted by An9 View Post
I had the same call-hack on my phone few month a go, that in about five minuts time, four calls has ben made from my phone and riping of 0.50c€ or 1€ and i have the nambers on my call-loog...but this numbers are not part of my contact list and don't know of what country they are from...when ones i saw it's call active and unknown number to me, i rejected call activity instantly on red buton and i saw the maps app was launched...than i sweep down it...i only know that on that particular day i installed "waazap" app...then after it happen that calls, i uninstalled waazup...and forgot it...newer used again...i could post numbers in here if it's alowed..but anyway it was hack for sure!:-(
Sorry to hear about it
I never had waazap installed on my device. Do you use track and protect?

Originally Posted by edbanger View Post

I bought my N9 new from a reliable store in december 2011. Im thinking that maybe the tracking app I use, the one that I got installed with the device, has gone haywire.