Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
as an old linux user and both using gnome(since beta 0.20 upto 2.14) and now KDE I dont get why people is so damn affraid testing something new? even if meegoCE "is not ready" its the way to go instead of sitting here and hope for stuff that never will happen.
As a long-time Linux user I'm sick of beta sh*t all the time, it always seems like when something is mature and complete it is time to drop it for the incomplete new shiny thing.

Nokia aren't going to let us have the source for any of the closed components, I doubt this community could raise any amount of money that would interest them, and even it were possible would it be worth it? I want some up to date hardware to go with my up to date OS. I do want to keep my N900 going until someone makes a worthy successor, but until then I think the best route is going the way the CSSU guys are going.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Everyone STOP because this is only talk talk talk as usual and nothing is found out.

SOMEONE email Nokia and ask the question pointing them to this thread and see what reaction you get !.

Mulitple emails untill an answer has been recieved and THEN talk about this not untill.

Chances are it will be a distinct NO so all this talk is pointless untill the answer is there.

Untill then go with the CSSU.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
You're talking about different they's than me. I commented on the origins of this thread where community members throws a few dollars on the table and expects to be able to buy all of Maemo.
In that case, I suspect the problem then is that there would not be enough money raised by this small group to entice a company like Nokia (especially under current circumstances) to release their tight grip on ANY asset (even just specific info on interfaces so that you could write api's or drivers from scratch) much less a whole application.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I thought MeeGo was just EOL'ed. While it is newer, why is that any better? Wouldn't Maemo be more complete feature wise than MeeGo 1.3 CE?
Where do you get that info from? N9xx Community edition(Handset meego) still alive and has daily builds! Read my post again.

What intel is doing with tabletversion/netbook of Meego efforts is totally irrelevant to what we talking about here.

Namely Nokias handsets N9xx and making it alive for some years more.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-09-29 at 18:08.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
still think the easiest option would be to pull Meego apart to see how closed source components were implemented, then start from scratch. sounds like a lot but would simplify the task of having to work round on going issues with out of date/closed source apps. would also free project from nokia and make it available for other devices.
"Writing from scratch"

Well thats EXACTLY what Meego 1.3 CE N9xx is about. there is no closed apps in MeegoCE.

closed parts is Batterycharging, GFX and modem (if I remember correct) but there IS community people outside Nokia who has access to this stuff so not that big issues bugs are fixed and drivers are improved this is NOT the case of Maemo5. and open apps is starting to be backported from Harmattan to CE. And funny is Qml is already faster/smother on MeegoCE than Maemo5. Not sure exaclty why but one reason could be because MeegoCE is using hardfp in GCC.

But hey its up to you, people can sit here fight about Maemo5 and dream about Nokia "open up the drivers/apps" or help improve Meego CE for N9xx I prefer the later for several reasons...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-09-29 at 18:23.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
And funny is Qml is already faster/smother on MeegoCE than Maemo5. Not sure exaclty why but one reason could be because MeegoCE is using hardfp in GCC.
There's going to be a whole lot of reasons for that. hardfp will be a (minor) contributor, there's also a much newer toolchain in MeeGo, a much newer kernel & base libraries, newer 3D drivers, Qt 4.8, ...

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
As Mike said.. we should focus on Meego also.. i has the potential to replace maemo5..is we all work together..i have been testing daily builds since June..and i have to say..its wonderful to see the improvement ..and with Meego 1.3 CE.. performance is quite good.. !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arora.rohan For This Useful Post:
my reason for suggesting a move not centered around meego was based on the fact that the project is transitioning to tizen. Are the current community devs happy with this change? Will the HTML5 focus lose developers? What will happen with QT/QML? Lots of questions whose answers will not be known for some time yet.

Meego, as it currently stands, as several have pointed out, is probably the best way forward at the moment. It is more up to date, better drivers etc etc. My suggestion was purely about in the long term. Unfortunately I wasn't around when Mer was, so I don't know the full story there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
my reason for suggesting a move not centered around meego was based on the fact that the project is transitioning to tizen. Are the current community devs happy with this change? Will the HTML5 focus lose developers? What will happen with QT/QML? Lots of questions whose answers will not be known for some time yet.

Meego, as it currently stands, as several have pointed out, is probably the best way forward at the moment. It is more up to date, better drivers etc etc. My suggestion was purely about in the long term. Unfortunately I wasn't around when Mer was, so I don't know the full story there.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer

May want to read up a bit so you're prepared to give better suggestions based on the history of failures that this community has already suffered.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
http://blog.rburchell.com/2011/09/be...en-source.html is worth a read. </shameless plug>

Tags
buysomethinelse, winding down