Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Will OVI API's be available for use in Mer? That is; is it concievable that an N800/810 could run Nokia maps, etc.
What's is an "Ovi" API? Surely Nokia Maps for Fremantle is using Qt, Hildon, Gtk+, whatever like any other app on Maemo. Is there some "libovi" of which I'm unaware?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
What's is an "Ovi" API?
Ask Nokia:

Originally Posted by Nokia World 09 Developer Experience Agenda
13:30 - Integration with Ovi Services: Enhance Your Application with Ovi APIs

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-08-22 at 16:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Ask Nokia:
Presumably these are to do with the service side (e.g. friends, sharing etc.) rather than something like Nokia Maps (one of the original examples).

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Is there anything left in ovi.com that's worth having and API? Nokia abandoned "share" (and cut back its functionality), "sync" still doesn't work, the store might not benefit from an API probably.... what does it leave us with? Maps. A maps API would indeed be cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Is there anything left in ovi.com that's worth having and API? Nokia abandoned "share" (and cut back its functionality), "sync" still doesn't work, the store might not benefit from an API probably.... what does it leave us with? Maps. A maps API would indeed be cool.
I saw Nokia jobs listed recently for people to work on the Share service... maybe not dead yet?

And sync is working for my E71x, but I get the feeling that's not universal. The thing bugging me now is that my Ovi contacts are unavailable for Ovi mail...

Anyway... even with a device-resident Maps client, some aspects would sure be service-based...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Since everyone is hijacking the thread, I may as well, just to say that Mer is my main hope for the future and I plan to use it as my only environment on one of the tablets I have -- as soon as I can get it to work decently.

The "hijackings" I see (including mine) revolved around APIs/services...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Who asked ya? < obligatory smiley used after a sH**y comment.

That's my hope as well geneven.
From what I think I now understand ; Mer is conceived to be Fremantle code that can run on N8**'s and other devices.

I never thought Nokia provided the resources to support the NIT's in anything more than a limited release in the past. Now that Maemo is supposedly front and center, will it have anywhere near the amount of resources that Nokia directed to other devices in the past.

As symbiancentric apps, abilities (widgets, woohoo!), and services are developed to run in Fremantle, I kind o' hoped Mer would be the bridge to our older devices.

BTW, what the heck are all them Nokia executives like the VP of Touch and Feel (or whatever) now going to do with their time; develop and support Maemo projects?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Texrat:

You probably forgot to look at page 1 of the comments. Here is one that specifically mentioned hijackings. Perhaps you can explain what it had to do with APIs/services:

"sorry to hijack the thread, but I've read extensively about Mer, but don't understand completely, which is what has always scared me about Linux. I understand it that Mer is REPLACEMENT for Maemo/Diablo, but is this true for Freemantle as well? What I mean is is Mer an upgrade or downgrade from Freemantle, or just a quasi Freemantle for legacy devices?"

Here's a couple more from Page 1:

"I'm a little confused about Mer. Wondering the same things. Is it an extension of Maemo or just an alternative? What are the pros and cons?"

"Mer is the next OS for the n800 and n810 tablets. The OS used for n900 will not be compatible with older tablets thus a community effort (sponsored by Nokia partially I think) the next (unofficial?) OS."

Last edited by geneven; 2009-08-23 at 00:33.

My deepest apologies for thinking those were somewhat within scope.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: