Notices

Hey, ### NOOB ALERT ###

I've tried to get a USB keyboard working but to no avail. I have installed h-e-n, and extkbd, but nothing happens when I set it up. The keyboard light does come on, so I know it is powered. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
And what is expected to happen? If you are unable to type in xterm even with wrong keys mapping then you should ask in some of hen threads.

@xxxxts Dude I have the very same problem as you!

I have a uk Apple Bluetooth Keyboard.
They say the Apple bt keyboard cames in two versions: one older, with 4 batteries, and a more reliable firmware. The newer, 3 batteries, is a little harder to make work. Maybe you and I have the newer, while freemangordon has the older one?

Some info about my n900: I reflashed a little time ago, I have kernel power, and an overclocked system (tp 850, rock solid). I didn't have any other bluetooth stuff installed.
When pairing I have to type the numbers entering them while pressing "fn" on the bt apple keyboard, followed by a return.
I tried pairing and re-pairing with no success. I have the same log output as xxxxts.

Thanks,
g

EDIT: also see this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41845 - the first posts say:
The problem with the Apple wireless keyboard is that although it pairs fine, it is not being registered as an input device (hildon-im-xkbtool --list won't show it in its output).

I'm investigating...

Last edited by G_Gus; 2010-12-02 at 20:01.

actually mine is with 2 batteries

Anyway, you are right, your keyboards for some reason are not registered as input devices. Maybe you should ask titan to fix the problem if it is in kernel.

Last edited by freemangordon; 2010-12-02 at 20:18.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
freemangordon: Thanks for this package. Sorry I was so unresponsive when you first e-mailed me. It was right during the MeeGo Conference and I was quite busy.

In order to get this package and bt-hid-scripts to coexist, I had to uninstall bt-hid-scripts and then reinstall it. For some reason, the package manager looks at the old version of my package and sees the conflicting xkb files, rather than installing the new version first...

qole: No problem, all are happy now .

Re incompatibilities - I would recommend you to withdraw azerty1's evdev driver from extras, as there are several reports that it breaks kinetic scrolling in microb. There is another one, bugfree looking, see it here: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...12-0mouse+0m5/ . And I have plans to add portrait mode support for it too, so mouse to be usable where phone is rotated.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
First, freemangordon, thanks VERY much for doing this and congratulations for getting so far!
I'm using the iGo Stowaway Ultra-slim and have gotten very far with your instructions. Haven't disconnected and tried re-connecting yet, but have something to report: After a little struggle with choosing keyboards (ended up with original default 105 int'l) and US for language, everything I mean EVERYTHING worked, even the oddest Fn key requirements on the iGo, but after a few minutes, the Enter key stopped working. Hitting Enter now pops up the on-screen keyboard on the n900. Hitting it again pops it down, no new-line for either stroke. I've found Ctl-Enter puts the newline AND pops up the on-screen keyboard.
On closing the iGo, disconnecting from the n900 dashboard, and re-opening, the iGo started functioning automagically (yay!!) but exactly the same way with Enter: Only Ctl-Enter works, but it also pops up the on-screen keyboard.
I hope this info helps you in your development. At this point it's marvelous this works so well, but w/o a good Enter key, it's not quite ready for me. By the way, I'm using the latest OS upgrade, plus the custom kernel for power users.

Oh, man, for the first time in 15 minutes continuous use between searching this thread, after a sleep and wake up, the Enter key now works correctly. Hmmm.

Tried disconnecting and could no re-connect right away, but after closing/re-opening the keyboard and disconnecting again, it came back. Still working on a reliable full cycle, but had to let you know the Enter key problem is sporadic at worst. Maybe it never comes back!

It's back, and survives keyboard closings and re-opening. I've not been able to reconnect after disconnecting w/o closing and re-opening the keyboard, which is really ok. But the Enter key is malfunctioning as described above.

Keep internal keyboard open, this should help

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, keyboard