Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
So a new version of MoNav just appeared in devel recently - is this one supposed to work for routing now, or do we still need to stay on the testing version to keep offline routing?

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
In short: Please wait for Marble 1.1.1 which will appear around 2011-05-15 in extras-devel/extras-testing.

Longer answer: The new monav-routing-daemon version is based on the recent release 0.3 of monav. Fortunately it is able to read the "old" format of maps, but still requires a bit conversion work on the client side. I made the necessary changes in Marble's git master and will backport them to the 1.1.1 release which is planned for the end of the week. Marble 1.1.1 will work with both monav-routing-daemon 0.2-release (extras) and 0.3-release (extras-devel, soon -testing).

I'll also generate new monav offline maps using the 0.3 release in the next weeks. They'll include data for offline address search, a feature that will be available in Marble 1.2 and later (around July). You can upgrade the maps directly in Marble once they're there. I'll announce that here once done.

Update: It would be nice to get more votes for the two Marble 1.1.0 packages in extras-testing. Ideally we'd get them into extras before i push Marble 1.1.1 to extras-testing. Thanks

Last edited by earthwings; 2011-05-10 at 20:26.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Please, maybe I am not clever enough, but I cannot discover how to have a map different from the openstreet. I have Marble 1.01.
Thank you

@Patroclo: Did you install the Marble Maps package yet? The Marble - Virtual Globe package only contains the OpenStreetMap theme and many other themes are in the Marble Maps package. Once that is installed, open the Map View dialog in Marble's application menu and click on a different map theme to load it. I'm creating a tutorial page on map themes currently. It will show screenshots for these steps when I'm done.

@All: I just pushed Marble 1.1.1 to extras-devel. It contains a couple of minor fixes and improvements as well as the support for monav-0.3 I mentioned above. I'd like to promote it to extras-testing, but that'd mean that all the votes for Marble 1.1.0 for extras promotion would be useless. So if anyone who tested Marble 1.1.0 can give it a vote that'd be great. I just need one more vote for 1.1.0 to be able to promote it to extras. Afterwards I'll promote 1.1.1 to extras-testing. Thanks

Update: Got enough votes, thanks!

Last edited by earthwings; 2011-05-15 at 11:42.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
Just tested Marble for the first time. It's is so awesome ! Thanks for your work.
Waiting for the POI to be added now

Compared to other openstreetmap renderers, Marble's maps look blurry and "chunky". It looks like the tiles are being rescaled.

Fortunately, I found this bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199259

which includes a fix.

Is there a timeline for getting this fix into a release for the N900?

P.S. Thank you, Marble is amazing, the best cartography app I've used.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Looks great and I hope to have a fully useable sat nav system with this.
One question whilst I am playing with it, how do I search for an address. I don't mean for navigation or routing, but just type in an address and show it on the map?
Also, does it support POIs?

Thanks in advance.

@Vlad_on_the_road: Great to hear you like Marble

@tkatchev: Marble 1.2 will show OpenStreetMap themes sharp. I'll release a first beta in the next days (not in extras-devel, but still with a one-click installer for those interested to test it). Marble 1.2.0 will be released at the end of July. If the beta versions show little bugs, I'll push a release candidate to extras-devel some time before that.

@mmarks: In Marble 1.2 you can use the "Go To..." dialog for that. In earlier versions you have to use the routing dialog for it (note: after searching you can close the routing dialog and all results are shown on the map). Support for points of interests will come with Marble 1.2 as well, see http://userbase.kde.org/Marble/Search and http://nienhueser.de/blog/?p=321

@all: Thanks for the quick votes for Marble 1.1.1 to get it into extras

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Many thanks for your response, I shall look forward to testing the 1.2 release.
From what I've seen so far it looks very good, haven't tried voice navigation yet - I'll try that on the way home tonight.

I downloaded the Ireland maps over wifi, does that mean that it won't require a data connection when driving now?

Calculating routes in Ireland works fully offline then. Losely speaking, the offline routing maps contain the street network for a country needed for route calculation. They do not contain the map images used to display the map. These depend on the map theme you're using (Map View dialog). You can download them in advance however with the "Download Region" dialog. See http://userbase.kde.org/Marble/Maemo/OfflineRouting for details.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:

Tags
marble, nokia n900