Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
For a University student I'd suggest you buy a good laptop first. As good as you can afford. Possibly also buy an external keyboard and mouse. Check if you're living in halls for that first year that you can't connect it to a TV monitor in your room. Then you have a kind of desktop setup.

Ignore tablets. I've got 4 (iPad, 2 Androids and a Windows Tablet* as of this week) and they're all a massive compromise for any kind of work that involves typing, even with external keyboards.

Tablets are for lying on the sofa surfing, watching video and casual gaming.

* Microsoft UK were selling the HP Stream 7 for under £50 this week and I couldn't resist adding it to my website development testing stable. Might even use it for a server status display under my desktop monitor.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
As an university student (computer science and information technology) I have done very well with my Thinkpad T60, pen and paper. Couple people from my class use tablet to read course materials (powerpoint and pdf). I have myself ordered Jolla tablet and hopefully it helps with my studies.

Good luck with your choice and with your studies.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Regarding laptops and Lenovo. I have x240 for work and x230 for home. And there are no real advantades of x240 vs x230. X230 is good device and it is 50% cheaper than x240.

For tablet I have been considering Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10 inch version. Reason is, that this device supports several users and fingerprint authentication. Good for family usage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
A little note: beware of the horrendous touchpads on the 2014 model year ThinkPads:

Lenovo admits new trackpad was a mistake, IDF 14

The 2015 model year should be hopefully fine again and the 2012 & 2013 still usually have the old design.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
As an university student (computer science and information technology) I have done very well with my Thinkpad T60, pen and paper. Couple people from my class use tablet to read course materials (powerpoint and pdf). I have myself ordered Jolla tablet and hopefully it helps with my studies.

Good luck with your choice and with your studies.
+1 for Thinkpad T60, it is legendary for robustness and costs next to nothing as secondhand device!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Barcelona - Spain
If you will have a decent laptop anyway maybe there are not any reasons to buy a tablet.

But in case you want something like a mix, an ultrabook / tablet you can check devices like the Vaio Duo 11 / 13, Vaio Tap 11 or Surface Pro. I have the Duo 11 and can't be happier with it. It was exactly what I was looking for. Sony has sold Vaio division so stores have deals on these devices.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
For me, one thing a tablet has a decisive advantage over a bog standard laptop is (as you've already noted) the reading of PDFs, and also other ebooks, comics and similar stuff in portrait mode. Sure you can do that on a laptop too if you don't mind holding it clumsily and awkwardly in portrait orientation.

I recently got an Asus TX201 Trio - it's a 3-in-1 thing - the "keyboard" is a full x86 system which you can use independently by connecting to an hdmi/displayport monitor, the "screen" is an intel-based android tablet, you can connect the screen to the keyboard to use it as a laptop. When in laptop mode you use a dedicated button to switch display between "PC" and android. During the day I use it for work in laptop mode, at night I detach the screen and use it as a tablet for reading comics or watching videos to unwind.

As others have said for serious work you definitely don't want to be using a "tablet" OS. Eg on my desktop firefox I have 2 windows with a combined total of well over 100 tabs opened - try doing that on a tablet.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
[*]They tend to be pricey when compared to a similar spec desktop.
The same goes for tablets.
Imagine the price of a tablet that could keep up with your desktop! I'm almost certain it doesn't even exist.

[*]They're quite noisy.
Business laptops usually have user-controllable fans and under light workloads these fans don't even need to run.
If you have a fancy slim laptop on the other hand that might be different because good cooling systems usually don't mix well with slim devices.

[*]They produce a lot of heat.
They produce the same amount of heat that goes in as electricity. So it's only a question of efficient components.

[*]They tend to be big and heavy making them a pain in the arse to carry around.
I own a 12" subnotebook for almost 8 years now. It weighs 2kg. Weight has never been an issue for me. Size on the other hand is.

[*]There's not a lot of choice if you're looking to avoid one bundled with Windows.
True. But in this case the situation is not as bad as it might seem.
For myself and some friends I bought several laptops (Dell and Lenovo) from professional refurbishers during the last years. On all of them the Windows was optional.
All these devices were in excellent condition or any unforseen problems were easily resolved. I think this is a good alternative for anyone who doesn't need the latest hardware.

I've been considering buying a Chromebook to replace my Touchpad, not to use ChromeOS (I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole)
Then why would you buy a Chromebook?
I don't see how this situation differs from a Windows-bundled device.
The big disadvantage Chromebooks tend to have hardwarewise is their lack of mass storage. You can find similar "real laptops" that don't have this problem (if you care).

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But, like me, you may find with a surprise that "Microsoft Tax" is often actually negative.
Does that matter? In my view the problem is not in the price but in the freedom of choice.
There's no logical reason why I should buy a device that's bundled with any OS.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Does that matter? In my view the problem is not in the price but in the freedom of choice.
There's no logical reason why I should buy a device that's bundled with any OS.
Oh yes, there is. Buying the same laptop for £499 with Windows or for £799 without Windows is a no-brainer. Replacing Windows with something else does not affect my freedom of choice.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Oh yes, there is. Buying the same laptop for £499 with Windows or for £799 without Windows is a no-brainer.
Of course. The solution is to simply not buy it at all.
If the increase in price obviously exceeds the cost of the work that is required to ship a device without Windows instead of with it, there's clearly something wrong.
And nobody will convince me that the work that is required to swap an HDD with a Windows image for an empty one is worth £300.

Replacing Windows with something else does not affect my freedom of choice.
It does.
Buying a device with Windows while in fact you don't want it generates a false impression on the demand for Windows.
That false demand is a good argument why computers don't need to be open. If everybody wants Windows anyway, then why care about hardware that runs on FLOSS in the first place?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: