Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
I'Ve Already tried google ****, and i found "Nothing" so plz help me here, when i connect usb cable to phone, the dialogue appears "m storage or pc" and when i select any, nothing happens. what this problem could be? i have very imp data on this phn. plz help me

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I am assuming you have not made a backup with backupmenu that you could revert to. Installing backupmenu and creating a backup archive is a good thing to go while your phone is still working correctly, even now I would suggest you try to install it and then reboot with the slider open, choose USB connect in from the backupmenu menu, if your port is not broken it will allow you to access your partitions even if you don't have a backup archive. Be careful though you will be able to mount yout WHOLE flash disk including root, not just MyDocs and SD card.

If you cant get USB mass storage working even with backupmenu you can still install ssh onto your phone and then use a program like filezilla to access your files via wifi SCP. It is just slower than a USB cable.

Last edited by biketool; 2013-08-18 at 10:35.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
when i connect usb cable to phone, the dialogue appears "m storage or pc" and when i select any, nothing happens.
Does it still charge via usb? If it does that suggests it might be ok. If you have usbmode instaled, try switching between modes while connected to see if that gets it going.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Have you tried to reboot the n900?

...otherwise there are plenty of possibilities to share files from the 900.
ssh was mentioned, but there is also possible to use windows filesharing (samba) and even to run a ftp or webserver on the 900 and exchange files that way.
personally i have used samba for ages, and i also guess that is faster than usb. but i havent used usb since i found samba either.

Last edited by electroaudio; 2013-08-18 at 12:34.

As well as what had been suggested above, here are some other simple diags to try and report back on...

When where you last able to successfully enter mass storage/pc suite mode and what were you doing at the time? (copying photos, updating software, etc...)

What was the last thing you installed or attempted to install? (Has anything failed to install since you last successfully connected the device)

Have you tried using another (Nokia preferably) USB cable?

Have you tried connecting the N900 to another USB port on the PC itself and does the n900 show as an external drive even still?

What happens if you plug the n900 to another PC?

Thanks

Edit: There is nothing strange about your USB problem is there. As originally suspected you have a failed installation... http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...;postcount=195

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2013-08-18 at 13:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Edit: There is nothing strange about your USB problem is there. As originally suspected you have a failed installation... http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...;postcount=195
Nice catch!

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Reboot - Was'nt Helpful
Programmes - Iam Sorry I cnt remember what application i was playing with
dmesg - I dnt have any idea abt that dmesg, what that mean etc
No Problem With cable or Pc thats confirmed,
Few days back i had transferred some mp3 files frm pc to phone, thats it.

Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
Reboot - Was'nt Helpful
Programmes - Iam Sorry I cnt remember what application i was playing with
dmesg - I dnt have any idea abt that dmesg, what that mean etc
Ok bud, the appliction that you tried to intsall was called USBhost mode. This should update your usb drivers, however your installation appears to have failed according to your post...
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...;postcount=195

This appears to be the cause of your problems, there is nothing strange here, it is not difficult to put 2+2 together. You have knocked out your USB drivers by trying to update them with experimental software that is in Extras-Devel. (There is a reason why packages have to go through testing phases.)

If you have created a recent backup then try and restore your n900 using backup menu.

If you have no backups, then go back to that thread, read it thoroughly and retrace your steps again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
when i connect to pc via mass storage it shows usb device not recognized

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
reflash ! Much easier then retracing the steps .