Notices

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
hi, estel
since a week a go, BNF on my device simply doesn't work, when i click it from desktop.

and if i try from terminal it shown bellow :

i had try to reinstal using "apt-get install --reinstall bnf" but it doesn't fix it.
any clue..?
Thank In Advance.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by supergaban View Post
hi, estel
since a week a go, BNF on my device simply doesn't work, when i click it from desktop.
Taking a flying guess, I believe your battery needs calibration. It can become "uncalibrated" and I remember bnf ceasing to give info when that happened to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
To be precise, it's not BNF ceasing t work per se, but bq27x00_battery kernel module (courtesy of Pali) ceasing to give proper info for one important parameter, making calculations fail. Mentalist suggested work around to at least determine if that happen and then throw some useful error.

If you're unsure, you can just "modprobe -r bq27x00_battery" as root, and try again with BNF. Without bq27x00_battery, BNF fall-back to raw i2c read (aka does, in user-space, exactly the same reading from chip that bq27x00_battery module does in kernel side), which doesn't fail.

There are exactly 0 reasons why bq27x00_battery stops giving full info when battery is not calibrated - its job is to report values from chip to sysnodes, not "censor" them, basing on module's own judgment if info is still useful. Hoever, Pali decided otherwise and can be quite stubborn on some things - I tried to convince him few times, to no avail, so I just ceased doing so.

For people interested in technical details - when battery is uncalibrated, value reported as max capacity resets to default 2048. Thus, if you see 2048 mAh (or something around it), you can be quite sure that you just need to re-calibrate. Hoever, Pali decided that giving default value is wrong, and sysnode entry giving that info just gets read error, if battery is uncalibrated (instead of, obediently, report what chip says, no matter if it's wrong or good). I don't see how error'ing read is better than giving default data, but we're stuck with it, unless someone forks that module (or kernel-power, making, for example, kernel-powernn_bq27x00_battery-fixed, for every release).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
To be precise, it's not BNF ceasing t work per se, but bq27x00_battery kernel module (courtesy of Pali) ceasing to give proper info for one important parameter, making calculations fail. Mentalist suggested work around to at least determine if that happen and then throw some useful error.

If you're unsure, you can just "modprobe -r bq27x00_battery" as root, and try again with BNF. Without bq27x00_battery, BNF fall-back to raw i2c read (aka does, in user-space, exactly the same reading from chip that bq27x00_battery module does in kernel side), which doesn't fail.

There are exactly 0 reasons why bq27x00_battery stops giving full info when battery is not calibrated - its job is to report values from chip to sysnodes, not "censor" them, basing on module's own judgment if info is still useful. Hoever, Pali decided otherwise and can be quite stubborn on some things - I tried to convince him few times, to no avail, so I just ceased doing so.

For people interested in technical details - when battery is uncalibrated, value reported as max capacity resets to default 2048. Thus, if you see 2048 mAh (or something around it), you can be quite sure that you just need to re-calibrate. Hoever, Pali decided that giving default value is wrong, and sysnode entry giving that info just gets read error, if battery is uncalibrated (instead of, obediently, report what chip says, no matter if it's wrong or good). I don't see how error'ing read is better than giving default data, but we're stuck with it, unless someone forks that module (or kernel-power, making, for example, kernel-powernn_bq27x00_battery-fixed, for every release).

/Estel
Thank you Estelle, i'm not sure if i understand all your explanation. since english is not my native language, and google translator seem give me terrible translating . ...But i had been try "modprobe -r bq27x00 battery" and it bring bnf work again. then i can draw conclusion the problem was from power kernel side.

I've use compatible battery for 2 and half or less months. at first calibrating it show 1596 mAH and now it show only 1557 mAH. is it normal.? i mean it is callibration matter or my battery capacity quickly decrease..?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
at first calibrating it show 1596 mAH and now it show only 1557 mAH. is it normal.? i mean it is callibration matter or my battery capacity quickly decrease..?
Quite normal and the exactly values determined can vary slightly and battery capacity does decline. For now, I would not worry.

Was it a polarcell made battery, as around 1550 mAH is good capacity?

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Quite normal and the exactly values determined can vary slightly and battery capacity does decline. For now, I would not worry.

Was it a polarcell made battery, as around 1550 mAH is good capacity?
oh, ok if it normal
i'm not using polarcell but "flashpower", i'm sure this is not international brand, because it hard to find any information related to this battery on the website. the company must be import unbranded battery from chinese, than they print their own brand on it. spesification was great "double power, double IC, 2800mAH , but real capacity is only 1596 mAH.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
....spesification was great "double power, double IC, 2800mAH , but real capacity is only 1596 mAH.
Such "lies" are common but usually the capacity comes in REALLY low 1100, or some such. If calibrated correctly, your battery has the max that can be packed into a battery of that size.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Such "lies" are common but usually the capacity comes in REALLY low 1100, or some such. If calibrated correctly, your battery has the max that can be packed into a battery of that size.
Agree, i have one, with same spesification double power..blah..blah, with only show 1150mAH. branded "gold.." battery., then i never use it again

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
Hey guys. I'd love to use BNF to have its output written in a battery log. Is there a way to display the output values in the terminal or an output file?

Edit:
Just realized that the bq27200.sh that's included in the battery calibration tutorial could be used for this purpose. It produces a lot of information. It can be run periodically and its output written to a log.

Last edited by sebar; 2015-12-17 at 10:53. Reason: epiphany?

Hi everyone, need a little help here with battery calibration, i just upgraded to v53 kernel and lost info on the battery.
So I tried step-by-step calibration guide but I ran into a problem.
I copied bq27200.sh to usr/bin and chmod +x it, than copied i2cget to ./ but all I got was "need i2cget", tried "which i2cget" but got no response. So I red trough bunch of posts and tried copying i2cget to the same folder with bq27200 and also chmod +x it and when I run the script i now get
"Reading valuesError: could not set address to 0+55: device or resource bussy"
I also installed bnf, but I got a blur when running from desktop (meaning I need sudo rights for desktop), bu also when I run it from terminal I get "No data available" meaning battery needs calibration, but no matter what I do I fail. What is it that I do wrong? tnx

Tags
battery, bnf script, bq27200, bq27x00, charging