Notices

Originally Posted by SpandexBob View Post
Sorry to hear that its not useable for you. Which version of witter were you using?
Latest version on devel, installed it this morning (0.3.8-14).

I'll try it again when I get home - slow response could be due to my mobile internet connection actually. But might be worth checking if someone else has the closed but still in background issue.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Nagercoil, India
hello
i like witter app but before few days witter crashes on start and here is the xterminal output. please check it and comment on it.
Code:
 $ run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py
gestures enabled
tweet with location disabled
no service setting
clear search results on new search disabled
unknown option
No stored ids from last run
No more users to load
Establishing api for Twitter using oauth
Connection working ok
Connection working ok
failed to read timeline file
/opt/witter/ui/gtkWitter.py:78: GtkWarning: gtk_container_child_set_property: assertion `child->parent == GTK_WIDGET (container)' failed
  self.builder.add_from_file("/usr/share/witter/witter.ui")
UI elements loaded from file
signals connected to buttons
Loading Theme Icons
pixbufs loaded for default theme
defining ui buttons
define portrait keyboard objects
define general window
adding button to panned area
time to show the window
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/witter/witter.py", line 1233, in <module>
    app = Witter()
  File "/opt/witter/witter.py", line 180, in __init__
    self.ui.load_theme_icons()
  File "/opt/witter/ui/gtkWitter.py", line 571, in load_theme_icons
    self.tweetpixbuf = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file("/opt/witter/icons/" + self.theme + "/tweet.png")
glib.GError: Failed to open file '/opt/witter/icons/Ayro/tweet.png': No such file or directory

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Lagos, Nigeria.
i just want to say a big thank you to #dwould. v searched for a fair twitter client for a long time. #witter seems to be doing real good. m using version 0.3.7.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by binu_ji View Post
hello
i like witter app but before few days witter crashes on start and here is the xterminal output. please check it and comment on it.
Code:
 $ run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py
gestures enabled
tweet with location disabled
no service setting
clear search results on new search disabled
unknown option
No more users to load
Connection working ok
Connection working ok
/opt/witter/ui/gtkWitter.py:78: GtkWarning: gtk_container_child_set_property: assertion `child->parent == GTK_WIDGET (container)' failed
  self.builder.add_from_file("/usr/share/witter/witter.ui")
UI elements loaded from file
signals connected to buttons
Loading Theme Icons
pixbufs loaded for default theme
defining ui buttons
define portrait keyboard objects
define general window
adding button to panned area
time to show the window
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/witter/witter.py", line 1233, in <module>
    app = Witter()
  File "/opt/witter/witter.py", line 180, in __init__
    self.ui.load_theme_icons()
  File "/opt/witter/ui/gtkWitter.py", line 571, in load_theme_icons
    self.tweetpixbuf = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file("/opt/witter/icons/" + self.theme + "/tweet.png")
glib.GError: Failed to open file '/opt/witter/icons/Ayro/tweet.png': No such file or directory
Looks like the theme directories are broken best bet for trying a quick fix would be to uninstall and reinstall.

I'll look into the problem when I get a chance. I've got a new version in extras-devel with some bug fixes coming, got to tidy it up this week and I should have it into testing soon.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by SpandexBob View Post
Looks like the theme directories are broken best bet for trying a quick fix would be to uninstall and reinstall.

I'll look into the problem when I get a chance. I've got a new version in extras-devel with some bug fixes coming, got to tidy it up this week and I should have it into testing soon.
Sorry to be that late here but wanted to say that I had the same problem. The workaround is easy: Removing the witter.conf file will help. As user configuration is not deleted, reinstalling will lead to nowhere.
Editing witter.conf and manually entering another theme than Ayro is probably also working but I did not try this.

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
I just wanted to say that it's really nice to see members of the community having picked up the challenge of continuing to develop witter. Although I jumped ship to android, and have had no real time for app development, I do sometimes miss working on it. I'll have to get my wife to download the latest version (she has the n900 now) and see how it's coming along.
I just happened to check the download stats and saw that it's now been downloaded >250k times.

Thanks again for keeping the project alive.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
Latest version on devel, installed it this morning (0.3.8-14).

I'll try it again when I get home - slow response could be due to my mobile internet connection actually. But might be worth checking if someone else has the closed but still in background issue.
Yes, I've seen it bring up a banner for new tweets loaded when the app had been quit ages ago - went to the app-switcher screen immediately after I saw the banner and witter definitely wasn't there. Never used to do that, and I've only seen it once, just a week ago or so from the latest (0.3.8-17) version. Going to upgrade to -18 now.

Thanks very much SpandexBob for your work on this, its fixed a few bugs!

A couple more I've seen recently - the window stack handling seems to be a little worse than the last version Daniel released, sometimes it gets confused and needs multiple 'back' clicks; the newer windows perhaps aren't tidying up the stack properly or something happens in between them appearing and being closed which confuses them.

Also when you use multiple accounts, if you switch a different account to be active when you're looking at one account's tweet page (whichever tab you're in), it doesn't update the home screen with the main stats on for the new account, and I'm not sure if it updates the tweets for the new account either.

I should probably file these on garage... (but bet I won't).

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by jgbreezer View Post
Yes, I've seen it bring up a banner for new tweets loaded when the app had been quit ages ago
Yeah I've seen this it seems to be related to the threading. Witter tries to close all the threads on close but getting tweets is a slow process so it can get stuck still working away on that thread. Once the process is finished the thread closes but you still get the banner.

A couple more I've seen recently - the window stack handling seems to be a little worse than the last version Daniel released, sometimes it gets confused and needs multiple 'back' clicks; the newer windows perhaps aren't tidying up the stack properly or something happens in between them appearing and being closed which confuses them.
I've seen this issue as well, I don't think the windows are being cleaned up properly. I'm working on a reliable way to recreate this issue so that I can properly debug it.

Also when you use multiple accounts, if you switch a different account to be active when you're looking at one account's tweet page (whichever tab you're in), it doesn't update the home screen with the main stats on for the new account, and I'm not sure if it updates the tweets for the new account either.
I don't use multiple accounts so thanks for bringing this up, I'll look into it.

I should probably file these on garage... (but bet I won't).
It would be great if you could but I've seen them here so no problem.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I can no longer "uncheck" the location box. Since I spend most of my time listening to podcasts over bluetooth, adding the GPS radios gives me ~ 3 hours of battery :-( When I try to uncheck, the box highlights blue, but stays checked and seems to lock up.

I recently re-installed Witter after deleting the .witter files. Did I miss one? Is there another way to fix this?

Thanks

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I uninstalled Witter;
" rm -r ./witter* "
re-installed witter

No Joy - still cannot uncheck "location"

Originally Posted by RWFarley View Post
I can no longer "uncheck" the location box. Since I spend most of my time listening to podcasts over bluetooth, adding the GPS radios gives me ~ 3 hours of battery :-( When I try to uncheck, the box highlights blue, but stays checked and seems to lock up.

I recently re-installed Witter after deleting the .witter files. Did I miss one? Is there another way to fix this?

Thanks

Tags
python, twitter