Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Ok guys, I kinda lied....

The Mozilla team has released something called Geode. What is this? Its a plugin for Firefox and eventually Fennec that uses SkyHook Loki to find your location! Both these programs run on the tablet!

Problem: You need a active (WiFi?) internet connection. It only works in the browser.

Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but I am testing it right now...

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Ok, its does not work on Linux yet. Looks like there is no skyhook "DLL" or binary for Linux. So it does not work on the tablet. BUT, they say alpha versions of Fennec will have it, and as Fennec only runs on the tablets, it will come eventually!

*Yes, I know DLLs are Windows stuff, I don't know the corresponding Linux term (a library or something?)

Oh, and it works SCARY good on my windows computer. In less than a second, it found my EXACT position. It was as accurate as any consumer GPS. Maybe in more dense areas, it will be worse, but...

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
This would be a sweet add on for the tablets, especially if the information can be fed into the GPS for a faster fix on the N810. I usually don't have a problem getting a quick fix, but I've heard the horror stories.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
A DLL is a dynamically linked library, and Linux has this too. The libraries are in /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, ~/lib, and so on although there are also static compiled binaries; there don't use a dynamic library.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Has Nokia made any rumblings that they're going to use Skyhook with Maemo for location based services? I noticed they're already making use of the services for symbian http://www.skyhookwireless.com/press/mapsbooster.php

If Nokia is smart, they'd partner completely with Skyhook and integrate skyhook into Maemo just as Apple & Google have done for their OS's.

Tags
firefox, gps, location, skyhook, wifi