Active Topics

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Well I was wrong. It's less than 10%. I paid €235 for an i7 2600 over two years ago. Now you get an 2600K or Xeon-version of the same CPU for that price. In fact, the only thing in this (then new) pc that's significantly slower compared to current versions is the Radeon 6850 GPU.

There's something else too: I've no clue why I would want a twice as fast PC right now. I don't game often, and many other intensive tasks are better handled by GPGPU's anyway these days. There's little which would benefit from the extra speed.

I wonder if we're getting to the same point on mobile: cpu's simply being fast enough for everything the software throws at them. They are even powerful enough for a decent desktop. So, to get back on topic, I think Jolla is doing a clever thing by using a fast enough CPU, and instead focus on something new.

Now that we know the hardware connection for The Other Half, there are many types of "other halves" that can be created. FM Transmitter, TV Receiver, Keyboard, LED/LCD, etc. I can't wait to see what APIs will be available to link TOH to the Jolla phone.

Many might be disappointed they waited until this long to reveal this but if they hadn't some other device manufacturer with more money and more engineers could get together and implement the same thing, get it to market sooner and then Jolla would look like the copycats.

For those who don't mind thick phones I can see multipurpose TOH that will be able to do amazing things.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
who knows what? I didn't see anything new

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
In the Finnish version of the specs it indicates that it will be using I2C interface.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
i think the finnish page said something about that...l2C

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
LED/LCD, etc.
Surely you don't mean a display "Other Half"?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Surely you don't mean a display "Other Half"?
Yes, I am thinking about an e-ink type display on the OH.

The bandwidth of i2c is pretty neat even for some decent framerate for an animated grayscale image, not to mention the obvious uses for a static image that you can load up there without it ever consuming even uW of power to maintain

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
So, you're referring to the latest/greatest eInk display tech I assume...*
You think it has sufficient bandwidth & other attributes to accommodate such tech?

*not some second grade offering

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So, you're referring to the latest/greatest eInk display tech I assume...*
You think it has sufficient bandwidth & other attributes to accommodate such tech?

*not some second grade offering
Please elaborate what you have on mind?
What do you consider first grade and what second grade?

jalyst, do the math.
3Mb will be enough bandwidth for even some descent frame-rate.... Which would defeat the purpose of low power screen anyway

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo