Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post
beggars belief...

Personally I think we should all instead report Nokia to the trading standards for conning all of us to part with our money in the promise that they would be offering free OVI navigation on the N900 for life and then failing to deliver an usable service, while sneakily stealing money from all of us who need sat nav in the n900, and have gone out and spend money on the Sygic sat nav software for the N900 which Nokia ironically also owns the maps.

I would love to see the trading standards or the EU fine Nokia big time and make them have to pay each customer back for what they have stolen with this scam...

Source please!
Where did Nokia said specifically that N900 will get free voice turn by turn navigation? I've never heard about this yet. All I have heard was the Symbian devices. Nothing heard with regards to the N900 at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
did it . . i guess we need more people :-)

where is the petition to get rid of whiners?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ UK, Manchester
this civil war is not helpfull!

This phone needs the same maps app as the n97 porting to n900!

NOKIA's current strategy re symbian and maemo/meego is risky to say the least!

i understand you dont turn off a huge customer base before you have the product to transition them to the new world! i guess thats the purpose of Qt but a port of the maps app is over due!

the problem is i can gaurentee that NOKI has diverted it limited resource to a new and better maps based on Qt which will be available for symbian and meego and maemo!

so basically the port is not gonna happen! the Qt will?

Google is taking it's maps and navigation products in a very impressive direction on android!

the really bold and obvious move to me is to open source some or all of the current maps app and encourage plugins to enhance the core app!

lets face it who will by syngic once a new free verison is available!

on the other hand i would be happy to part with cash for a much needed and sexy plugin!

just a thought

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dubai, UAE
Signed hope it works !

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
The N900 was released way before Ovi Maps was turned into a free product. You always had to pay for a license in the 2 years I have been using it. The fact that now you don't for certain Symbian phones is a bonus that users seem to be taking for granted now.
Nokia promised free maps and routing and they gave us free maps and routing.

Buy Sygic if you want turn by turn or get a cheap Symbian phone that has it bundled for free.
When I got mine that OVI deal was already official, otherwise i would not have replaced my n95 so quickly.

The fact is that they are misleading customers and making money by selling the only product that is usable out there on the N900.

Don't take me wrong I think the n900 phone is just brilliant, much better then the n95 was, but without many of the applications which i'm so used to use, sat nav, java, opera, coreplayer and many others just reminds how crap it was when windows vista 64bit first came out and there were no signed drivers for a lot of the legacy hardware...

The Following User Says Thank You to windows7 For This Useful Post:
Nokia NAVTEQ profits can be seen here:
http://investors.nokia.com/phoenix.z...rterlyearnings

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
Having Sygic to provide a voice-guided turn-by-turn satnav application for N900 is great. But nobody would argue that having OviMaps for N900 upgraded to have voice guidance for free (a la Symbian phones) wouldn't be better.
Personally, I'd rather have a free version from Nokia than have to buy one from Sygic, especially since there is no US version available yet.

Oh crap... how many times this conversation has been repeated with absolutely nothing new in it?

I don't really see how Nokia is misleading customers on N900. Originally it was marketed as an early adopter device. Very powerful early adopter device. When I ordered mine, there was no mention about free Ovi Maps and I knew that it doesn't have navigation feature packed. When they came up with turning Ovi Maps navigation to free of charge service, I was thinking about selling the device, but decided that other features, apps etc. balance pros and cons so that there is not really any point in selling the device. Thinking about cons of Symbian S60 and weighting them against only one feature, it would be just insane to switch over. I have N97 Mini as my work phone and would NEVER change my N900 for it. Only reason I don't use N900 at work is that I'm stuck with Lotus Notes (yep... for some reason it is still used...) which is not supported on Maemo.

If Nokia didn't release Ovi Maps for free, we would not be repeating this row of complains over and over again. We would happily buy the software from Sygic and honestly, I recommend that option if you are in dire need for navigation. It's good for the platform that people buy good software, because that is the only way software developers will get interested in Maemo/MeeGo platform. This is just one realities we all have to accept - Maemo is different from Symbian S60, it has different set of features, different set of software/apps and different roadmap for development.

I believe that eventually Ovi Maps with full feature set will come for N900 also, but i wouldn't hold my breath waiting. There really would be no point putting much effort to current Ovi Maps for Maemo since it will be dying breed anyway. Future is with Qt and it will take some time to get everything rolling with it. Afterall, milestone for such version is set for Harmattan. Meanwhile, Sygic can have the market and I gladly accept it, for reasons I already mentioned.

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2010-03-26 at 21:39.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post
beggars belief...

Personally I think we should all instead report Nokia to the trading standards for conning all of us to part with our money in the promise that they would be offering free OVI navigation on the N900 for life and then failing to deliver an usable service, while sneakily stealing money from all of us who need sat nav in the n900, and have gone out and spend money on the Sygic sat nav software for the N900 which Nokia ironically also owns the maps.

I would love to see the trading standards or the EU fine Nokia big time and make them have to pay each customer back for what they have stolen with this scam...
Originally Posted by deskya View Post
ok sorry i didn't mean exactly ovi 3 but good a free navigation software as the lowest price nokia, it's not possible to spend more than 500 euro to have a product without complete support as all the other Nokia's apparatus! Everyone who buy a Nokia do it for his trust in this company; after all don't forget all the news about the n900's future are not fair! The petition is a symbol. thank you at all guys
Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post
this civil war is not helpfull!

This phone needs the same maps app as the n97 porting to n900!

NOKIA's current strategy re symbian and maemo/meego is risky to say the least!

i understand you dont turn off a huge customer base before you have the product to transition them to the new world! i guess thats the purpose of Qt but a port of the maps app is over due!

the problem is i can gaurentee that NOKI has diverted it limited resource to a new and better maps based on Qt which will be available for symbian and meego and maemo!

so basically the port is not gonna happen! the Qt will?

Google is taking it's maps and navigation products in a very impressive direction on android!

the really bold and obvious move to me is to open source some or all of the current maps app and encourage plugins to enhance the core app!

lets face it who will by syngic once a new free verison is available!

on the other hand i would be happy to part with cash for a much needed and sexy plugin!

just a thought
There were no promises for Ovi Maps "3" (which is frankly stupid to say as that is version 3 of Ovi maps for S60 NOT MAEMO). If any of you have any verifiable sources go ahead and dispute that statement.
Anyway, unless you signed a legally binding contract with Nokia that they would offer you "Ovi Maps 3" the threats of having them reported for misleading you are ludicrous. These constant assertions of being mislead are getting really, really tiresome.

Last edited by skalogre; 2010-03-26 at 22:02.