Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Cool. Time to buy more

Oh, I heard another funny thing while reading through Tomi's blog. Unfortunately, it can't be right.

One who was at the stakeholder's meeting, said Elop had said that the 8 mill N9's that were sold had... How did he phrase it...

I was in shareholder meeting and what left me puzzled was Elop answer to money spent on MeeGo. He said Nokia will use learnings from MeeGo in Lumia line and that 8 million N9 shipped so far will be able to help covering the costs.
Alas, it's not right. Nobody else who were there heard any such thing, but I do wish it'd be true :B

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
This is a little off topic but since it came up; I have never undertood the concept of patents. When I was starting out as a researcher at university all those years ago we had somebody come in and talk about IP and patents. What he essentially told me is that you cannot patent an idea but you can patent a method. Trouble is that most of the things I've seen patented are ideas and often the method itself is an idea anyway.
It goes further than that... It's not the method that counts as much as the claims presented. You can fill a patent that would state in the Claims part something as vague as 'Cleans your butt with lateral hand movement' describing the method how you clean your butt with their toilet paper, and then you can get sued if you sell a bidet that utilizes the same 'technique' and get sued for infringing on their toilet paper patent. Of course, this is a bit pushing it, but that's how today's patent system works - if something you do appears in the claims of another patent, you can get sued easily, and even if you can prove that yours is a completely different method you would still need millions of dollars just to fight it at court which many small companies / individuals just cannot afford. It's legalized bullying!

Here is a nice testimonial from a guy that managed to fight them off: http://youtu.be/E_lb3D7Ay-M , sadly - on each such testimonial, there are 100s of testimonials of business collapsing due to inability to fight them. If you have the time, seek for the documentary 'Patent Absurdity', they show quite colorful ways on how patent trolls and troll-like companies operate. And why you have to become a patent troll yourself if you want to survive. Sad world...

Anyway, back to the topic, let's talk Nokia stock... Probably closing the week at a shy bit over $3 on NYSE, and 2.4€ dead on ETR... What stock?! They are now almost twice as much valuable sold in parts than their market value, a hostile takeover is quite possible, although I think the potential buyers will wait for Elop to sell out everything non IP related with his obvious gambling habits to fuel his delusion... The moment he lays his eyes on the IP and start selling it en masse somebody will take them over. Probably Microsoft, if they are willing to risk investigation that would surely ensue in that scenario.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ saint lucia
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Oh, I heard another funny thing while reading through Tomi's blog. Unfortunately, it can't be right.

One who was at the stakeholder's meeting, said Elop had said that the 8 mill N9's that were sold had... How did he phrase it...

Alas, it's not right. Nobody else who were there heard any such thing, but I do wish it'd be true :B
You're right, doesn't make any sense, could be false information. If 8 million N9s were sold, how did they make such a huge loss, and why didn't he release these figures. That news would have been welcomed by investors. Unless he prefers to please Microsoft instead helping the market share rise from the pits

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Seriously many people is pissed about Nokias strategy.

But right now I think this is REALLY bad.

Hell the stock dropping must stop now!

it has gone down 2/3 since February 2011.

Seriously how long will this mess continue!?

We already knows, Nokia will not change strategy in case of WP.

So if this mess continues. It will only hurt next billion and QT. And that is not good for us who prefer QT and still hopes on "meltemi"

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

So if this mess continues. It will only hurt next billion and QT. And that is not good for us who prefer QT and still hopes on "meltemi"
Learn Java, Dalvik and Android. Qt and Nokia do not have any future.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ir.miringila View Post
one hundred percent agree with you.... the day will come when you have to pay a royalty just to paint your car green!
Depending on HOW you intend to paint your car green, you already legally can't do so without paying a royalty. Just by example: if you negatively charge the body of the car while painting it with positively charged paint particles, you're already violating several patents.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Cool. Time to buy more
I'm clearly unqualified to dispense investment advice the way you are but I get the impression that, at this rate, it's ALWAYS time to buy but never a good idea. heheh

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Seriously many people is pissed about Nokias strategy.

But right now I think this is REALLY bad.

Hell the stock dropping must stop now!

it has gone down 2/3 since February 2011.

Seriously how long will this mess continue!?

Seriously. Even just improving customer service and putting kiosks in malls with people selling devices (they don't necessarily need a whole store!) would make a HUGE difference in how they're approaching customers and getting out there. In my opinion, Elop is either clinically stupid, a mole for Microsoft or both--and I think both are just as likely.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Learn Java, Dalvik and Android. Qt and Nokia do not have any future.
Nokia - debatable. Qt - certainly has a bright future and not much Nokia even as owner of Trolltech can do about it. It doesn't have any future on mobile devices, tho... that prospect was taken behind the barn and shot in the head by yours truly Mr. Elop.

Granted, there are still hopes of its resurgence, but I wouldn't hold them high. Even if Nokia does another 180 turn, it will be hard to entice all the lost talent in the past year due to their fling with Microsoft... And Nokia hardly has some weight left after this intentional starvation to throw behind Qt on mobile and push it properly...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
... that prospect was taken behind the barn and shot in the head by yours truly Mr. Elop.
That's a confusing sentence. Did YOU yourself kill it? (yours truly) Or, did Mr. Elop kill it?

"Yours truly" is usually used to refer to yourself as the speaker who's just said something.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-05-04 at 19:18.

I'd like to point out that before Nokia had even sniffed at Qt/Trolltech, Qt were doing just fine. It was an active part of the Linux community, and I attended an development seminar where Trolltech demonstrated how amazingly easy it was to code Qt.

Qt should have the potential to do just fine without Nokia. The question is, however, if they get the chance to stand on their own feet again.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen