Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY BOOTING FROM SD CARDS

Boot from SD installer thread
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19639

I am developing a DEB to install KDE on boot from SD devices. The DEB will download KDE and install it. It also has a md5sum check and will redownload from where it left off. Also if you lose connectivity durring install process, you can just reconnect and it will start right where it left off.

The downside is, it will just sit there forever running if it loses connectivity. I awoke last night to see my router has crashed. I fixed my internet connection, reconnected my wifi and it finished cleanly.

NOTE, this works with my Boot from SD DEB, but 2GB is the minimum to install. and it comes very close to running out of space. Once complete on the 2GB card, there is about 340MB free. If nothing else is installed. Its really tight on the 2GB card because the installer downloads the KDE install files to the same partition it installs them too. YOU MUST HAVE About 1.35GB FREE to start the KDE install process. It will remove the KDE tarballs after the install completes.

Additionally removing the deb, will remove the remaining install files and leave KDE install in tact.

Monitor Install Progress
once the install process is started, it will download KDE and install it. You can view the progress of this in xterm

ls -l /root/kde-installer

or

open web-browser and go to

/root/kde-installer

(refreshing will allow you to see the KDE358 300MB file incrementing.)

If you notice its less than 300MB and its not incrementing, verify your internet connection is still working. Once it gets to 308MB it will start the un-tar process, and remove itself when it completes successfully. It will then start the SUPv2 download in the same way.

It could take a couple of hours to complete. Mine seemed to run a little over an hour, but I did not actually time it. Also internet connection speed will vary install times.

INSTALL PROCESS

1) READ ABOVE

2) DID YOU READ ABOVE (Many people just dont read things before installing things. Well especially if its from me, You should read and ask any questions prior to install.

3) Got to http://penguinbait.com

4) Right Click on "KDE INSTALLER" (save target as)

5) Save the file somewhere

6) open application manager and using the menu, select "install from file" , select the file you just saved

7) Sit back and wait it may be a while!!!!

8) When the application manager finishes the install cleanly, you may remove the package. A failing install may be re-ran, but if you remove it first, your download will start all over again.

Well, thoughts, screams, whining????
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-05-01 at 17:48.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
i think i know the answer, but if i install this and later decide i won't use it enough to warrant 1.3GB of space, will uninstalling remove kde and free up 1.3Gb of space?

Originally Posted by geoffstewart View Post
i think i know the answer, but if i install this and later decide i won't use it enough to warrant 1.3GB of space, will uninstalling remove kde and free up 1.3Gb of space?
NO, it will NOT remove KDE. It will only uninstall the installer.

Once KDE is installed its in there, you can delete everything on the SD card and re-clone from flash to remove
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Well, thoughts, screams, whining????
Thanks, actually, are in order before I do any of the above. I really do appreciate your work on this and have been waiting for this release, so I tried right right away. After READING, of course

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
You can view the progress of this...

If you notice its less than 300MB and its not incrementing, verify your internet connection is still working.
So far it it is still downloading. I used both methods to check, thanks.

It could take a couple of hours to complete. Mine seemed to run a little over an hour, but I did not actually time it. Also internet connection speed will vary install times.
At first it didn't seem to be incrementing, but you did counsel patience, and, by golly, it does seem to be trickling in! I have 2.5 hours before I have to leave, so I hope it'll be done by then.

Again, my thanks for continuing to improve the functionality of my tablet. I encourage others who feel the same to find and use the 'donate' link on your site!

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Thanks, actually, are in order before I do any of the above. I really do appreciate your work on this and have been waiting for this release, so I tried right right away. After READING, of course

So far it it is still downloading. I used both methods to check, thanks.

At first it didn't seem to be incrementing, but you did counsel patience, and, by golly, it does seem to be trickling in! I have 2.5 hours before I have to leave, so I hope it'll be done by then.

Again, my thanks for continuing to improve the functionality of my tablet. I encourage others who feel the same to find and use the 'donate' link on your site!

Cheers!
The really cool things, is if it does not finish before you leave. You could disconnect from the internet leaving the installer running. go somewhere else, reconnect to the network and the download/install will start where it left off.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Thanks, PB. I'll likely need this feature, as it hasn't budged now in about 20 minutes. It is still sitting on 46288KB. My connection is still working, tho.

Does it matter which card one uses....my removable card is 4 gb, so thats the one I would rather use. Would that be ok? Or do you have to use the internal card,,,I have the Nokia N800.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nitesky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nitesky View Post
Does it matter which card one uses....my removable card is 4 gb, so thats the one I would rather use. Would that be ok? Or do you have to use the internal card,,,I have the Nokia N800.
Just boot to wherever you want to install it to. Then just install it.

SD port does not matter

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Thanks, PB. I'll likely need this feature, as it hasn't budged now in about 20 minutes. It is still sitting on 46288KB. My connection is still working, tho.
Well one of the main reasons for developing this process is that tablethacker.com is hosted at siteground and the completely SUCK.

So many peoples downloads will fail before completing. This will test the md5sum and if its not done the download will resume again.

The only issue is md5sum can take about a minute to verify the file. If it is not the right size, and it appears to have stopped, check again in 5 minutes, see if it is running again...

Thanks PB for all you do for us. This is my first-ever post. I have been running it for 20 mins and am at 34725557.
Edit: Running for 60 mins and at 88555520, so a little slower but, as you counsel, I am being patient.

Last edited by yodainva; 2008-04-30 at 21:16.

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35