Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
1337INT13H, you frickin' nitwit. I would bet my car that you are one of these people "I LOTST ALL DA STUF ON MA FONE AN I CARNT GET IT BAK!!11"

"lma, you simply do not need a MicroSD card slot"

Why you telliing the next man what he does and does not need? I want a MicroSD Slot for the same reasons illustrated above. Booting NITDroid etc.

I also use it to put sensitive files on and stuff that I don't want to lose if the eMMC were to suddenly crash or I couldn't get the device to boot, beyond repair.

Torrenting? Sometimes Transmssion (great program!) on the N900 will crash, or if I run out of Battery sending the file system into a Read only state. I'd sooner it did it to MicroSD than the eMMC so I only Torrent to the MicroSD.

Future proof? Sometime in the future there gonna are be cards bigger than 64GB. Try sticking one of those in your straight jacketed N9. Same happened with the N95 8GB when they removed the card slot. I ended up staying with my original older N95 and by the time I had finished using it I had a 16GB card in it. Twice the size.

I'm sure others here have loads more reasons personal to them of why they want a MicroSD card slot.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-06-24 at 22:37.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Anything greater than 32GB is SDXC, not SDHC. I would have thought the N900 could support SDXC however the N800 has been shown not to, so that's a bit more uncertain.

The point is, the N9 may not have supported cards greater than 32GB regardless.

Originally Posted by keflex View Post
Anything greater than 32GB is SDXC, not SDHC. I would have thought the N900 could support SDXC however the N800 has been shown not to, so that's a bit more uncertain.

The point is, the N9 may not have supported cards greater than 32GB regardless.
I thought SDHC and SDXC are compatible (except in speed). Physically they are the same cards and should work in the same slot.
The OS just has to support the new filesystem.

In my opinion the N9 is missing
- an upgrade path (i've resigned to this)
- glove support (no stylus, will be a biting pain, starting October)
- spare battery support
- pressure levels (i used them on the N900, but not a lot)
- a symbiotic relationship with a Qt-based OS which developers believe have a future (it used to have that)
- screen estate during typing (yes, you know what I mean)

Lack of glove/stylus support means I would as a matter of fact answer fewer phone calls and use it less than the N900. It's a real difference for me, living in this climate. I'm already on a capacitive screen now, and it's a step down.

Lack of spare battery support will be a pain when I'm on national guard exercises and can't easily charge the phone.

Last edited by volt; 2011-06-25 at 12:41.

missing : KEYBOARD ! That beautiful screen ... and my hands always covering 30% of it.Shame on you Elop ...N950 was consumer device before you came up right ?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by 1337INT13H View Post
lma, you simply do not need a MicroSD card slot.
I'd say you, 1337INT13H, don't understand why we need one.

It's about using data that comes from other sd-based devices, not about the storage capacity as such. I have no use for 64GB mass storage. I do need a way to get all my photos from my digital camera to the phone so that i can upload and share them. Or I want the videos from my friends phone on mine. Plus, of course, I want to boot MeeGo on my phone. How do you do this without an SD card? Share a video via bluetooth? Erase your N9 to try a new operating system?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
"In your opinion, what is N9 (MeeGo / Harmattan) missing?"

A UK launch date and price tag.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'd say you, 1337INT13H, don't understand why we need one.

It's about using data that comes from other sd-based devices, not about the storage capacity as such. I have no use for 64GB mass storage. I do need a way to get all my photos from my digital camera to the phone so that i can upload and share them. Or I want the videos from my friends phone on mine. Plus, of course, I want to boot MeeGo on my phone. How do you do this without an SD card? Share a video via bluetooth? Erase your N9 to try a new operating system?
This is true for ebook readers too. Which is my main use of the sd card slot, It's the only way I can transfer my pdf files over, or get new books from the internet on to it when I'm out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
No matter how good the battery and device power conservation, after a year or two it won't hold much charge and will need replacing.
My N800, N810, and N900 each made it approximately ten months before their original batteries degraded to a point where I had to purchase a replacement. Replacement Nokia batteries then also lasted approximately ten months. Cheaper knockoffs, such as those from Japod, last only around six months, but they're several times less expensive.

I dearly hope the N9 turns out to be surprisingly easy to open afterall.

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
its missing a usb port like n900.. atleast after i get my hands on it..
and to be serious, it could have used a better processor
i dunno.. whenever nokia comes up with a device, the processor is only powerful enough to run it at stock.. not after customizations..
like n900.. 600mhz processor.. and guess what? its still lags..
and oh, a bigger battery..
i can bet it wont last any longer then n900..
nuff said..

Tags
impending doom