Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
2007 indeed!
This phone would've held Nokia at the top. Just needed a different button layout. N95 design with touchscreen, 640x480 resolution, thin as today's devices, 12mp plus xenon flash, if it ever got released Nokia would have been at the top.

Nokia N87l

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Nvys isn't far off the mark, although a bit extreme.

the daily mail is very solidly middle class little england and is against anything that is not mum, dad 2 kids and a dog. single parents (unless they work) immigrants, people on benefit, all routinelly get attacked.

I cannot stand the paper, but have a read though the online stuff and check out some of the comments.
The online version of the Daily Mail is notorious for being far more liberal/mainstream than the print version.

Typical online headline: "Celebs out and about: looking good in expensive clothes!"

Typical print headline: "Gay gypsy asylum seekers are giving house prices AIDS - and YOUR TAXES are paying for it"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
lol get realistic no one else can make a replace it. Its not only a software issue.

Even if android fanboys disagree, Nokia is doing very good hw. Even if it doesnt have latest tripplecore cpu the buildquality of theyr phones often is better than crap androids. N900 is an exception probadly becaus is not build in finland instead its build in a taiwan like many androids...

so whom can take over N9? I hope youj dont mean LG because of theyr plans to support Meego :O
I don't think Nokia is going down. But historically they have made a series of mistakes partially leading to their existing position. Even when they understood the success of the iPhone and Android, they still made that half arsed E7 (EDoF instead of autofocus, Too low res screen, too small battery). They just don't get these simple things. EDoF is a perfect technology for low and mid range, but the lack of macro makes it unsuited for high end and the E-series in particular. Why is this so difficult to understand for Nokia? My point is that seen in a historical perspective there is nothing that suggests their current endeavour with Microsoft is not yet another mistake.

As said by people somewhere else on TMO, Nokia should've went Maemo on their phones way back in 2005.
I disagree, turning Maemo into a phone OS was what killed it. It simply wasn't designed for that.

If the flagship phones had the specs the 770 had way back, it would've flown off the shelves.
Pretty much everything mid-to-high end they produced around that time was built around the same OMAP-1710 as the 770.

After the iPhone 2G, I wonder why Nokia didn't panic and make the damn Internet Tablet Phone instead of waiting until 2009
That is exactly what they did. They scrapped Elephanta and completely changed direction, only it took them 2 years + to get something release-able together and at the end the job was only half-done. Apparently nobody reads Brooks anymore :-/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
their current endeavour with Microsoft is yet another mistake.
If you had shortened down your speech just a little, you would be more correct. We'll see, though... too soon to tell, but it seems far more likely to be the case that this is yet another failure for Elop, Microsoft and Nokia.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-07-11 at 20:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If you had shortened down your speech just a little, you would be more correct. We'll see, though... too soon to tell, but it seems far more likely to be the case that this is yet another failure for Elop, Microsoft and Nokia.
The more he types, the more his blind faith in Elop is gonna create a backlash that I haven't seen since people used to heap praise upon Carly Fiorina.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
2007 indeed!
hybrid n810/N95 .jpg
I always wonder what would have happened if they had pushed maemo down to a mobile touch phone and up to a 6 inch tablet and 10 inch netbook form factor in a quick and agile manner. With Nokia's distribution and production scale we would be looking at a 100% different mobile and arguably desktop/laptop ecosystem right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I think this is the same article online... same author as well.
Originally Posted by failurehappening View Post
Here's a link to an article in the Daily Mail - Nokia: The end of the line? "The mobile phone market is slipping out of its hands, but is Nokia getting the message?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...-end-line.html

Not sure if it's the same article

EDIT: Doh - too slow
Oh poo, I didn't even think to look on the Internets for it. Damn you Internets.

Cheers gents.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
The more he types, the more his blind faith in Elop is gonna create a backlash that I haven't seen since people used to heap praise upon Carly Fiorina.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think he'll act like a lightning arrester of some sort. All the negativity (and nonsense) are just focused on him that when the sh*t hits the fan, he'll be the one taking all the crap.

I commend him for all his services. We need him.

Illustration 1.1: Lightning arrester at work.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, goodbye nokia, mantis boy, n9 rox, success: sold 7