Active Topics

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
start and stop
That's nothing to do with the terminal "app". Those are external commands that may or may not make sense with the N9.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Those are external commands that may or may not make sense with the N9.
They're useful shell commands - it doesn't make sense, in my opinion, to say that they might not make sense to have on a computer - and I insist on the term computer here because that's what good modern phones are, in any sense of the word, and if we start thinking of them as such things would be a lot better. It's not like the N9 is so pressed for space that the upstart package of which initctl is a part couldn't be included.

Now, that said - I'm not disagreeing that it probably didn't make sense in the minds of the developers of the N9 at Nokia to include it, but that's another discussion.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-11-23 at 19:20. Reason: typo: forgot a word

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
I'm confused. The small menu icon in the upper right corner of the xterm screen only pops up a menu enabling a new shell window and the toggle between arrows and shell keys. Where do you find clipboard options?
It is below the semi-visible menu icon.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Just realized that PR 1.1 does not add copy and paste to the X-Term, but instead an updated X-terminal application that just became available today, after PR 1.1, adds this feature.

I don't see this yet since I haven't yet updated my X-terminal.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Just realized that PR 1.1 does not add copy and paste to the X-Term, but instead an updated X-terminal application that just became available today, after PR 1.1, adds this feature.

I don't see this yet since I haven't yet updated my X-terminal.
Yeah, you need to accept this Terminal update.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Interesting -- I've never used the "start" and "stop" commands before. I'm used to the (probably more archaic) "bg", "fg", and "ctrl-z" triplet. These job control commands are designed specifically for use with terminals; each terminal has a list of processes associated with it, with at most one designated as the "foreground" process (and, therefore, able to receive input from and send output to the terminal itself). If a process is currently running in the foreground of the terminal, you "suspend" it by hitting control-Z; it should then stop running (giving control of the terminal screen back to the terminal application). To bring the process back to the foreground, you'd use "fg", and the process will begin running again. If you want the process to keep running, but don't want to hand control of the terminal screen to it, you'd use "bg" instead, which starts it running again but in the background.

If you suspend or background multiple processes, you'll eventually end up having to choose which one you want to fg or bg. This is done by giving an argument, "fg %X", where X is the job number for the process. The command "jobs" gives you the current process list with job numbers.

Finally, running a program with the "&" tag at the end starts it off running in the background of the terminal rather than in the foreground, so that kinda ties in to all this as well.

Anyway, the whole "fg" and "bg" job control set should be available on just about any Unix system. I think it's even a Posix standard...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
They're useful shell commands - it doesn't make sense, in my opinion, to say that they might not make sense to have on a computer - and I insist on the term computer here because that's what good modern phones are, in any sense of the word, and if we start thinking of them as such things would be a lot better. It's not like the N9 is so pressed for space that the upstart package of which initctl is a part couldn't be included.

Now, that said - I'm not disagreeing that it probably didn't make sense in the minds of the developers of the N9 at Nokia to include it, but that's another discussion.
Hmm.. never heard of "start" and "stop" in the context of shell job control (we have the key shortcuts as well as bg, fg, jobs, etc.)

In N900 /sbin/start and /sbin/stop are symlinks to initctl, which is UPSTART. I have no idea if the N9 has upstart or init or systemd or who-knows-what.

Hence my "it may or may not make sense on the N9".

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
start and stop
Start and Stop works fine on the N9.. you just need to /sbin/start or /sbin/stop.. Just which they'd put restart there too.. but anyway no problem with those two

What is a bit irritating with update is that keyboard commands does not work.. like ctrl+c and ctrl+v.. also selecting with the arrow keys are not supported.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
In N900 /sbin/start and /sbin/stop are symlinks to initctl, which is UPSTART. I have no idea if the N9 has upstart or init or systemd or who-knows-what.
Oh, right! Yeah, that really has nothing to do with terminals. I've really never played with the bootup sequence on my n900...