Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Martin, may I bring your attention to this and the following post. It started off with cross-linking modRana and Poor Maps tile caches, so that they coukd share each other's tiles.

It appears that the MapQuest file type was wrong but all I had to do was edit map_config.conf, find the MapQuest section and change 'png' to 'jpg'. I love it when things are so easy

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Hi,
Any news about Harmattan ?

The Following User Says Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I'm getting a "failed to load routing data" message when attempting to route via point to point, here to point, or address to address.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Hi,
nothing?! :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Hi,
See post 1656 and 1665 of this thread. Short version,MartinK is not actively working on harmattan as it lacks some old stuff (gtk as opposed to only qt) so can't use the N900 code and lacks new stuff (qt5, qml 2) so can't use the sailfish code. Since this makes the N9 neither fish nor fowl, Martin isn't actively working on it. Three options were given, rip out the software guts of the N9 and replace them with something newer, rip out te software guts and replace them with something older or rewrite modrana mostly from scratch to use what the N9 has. Martin stated he doesn't particularly care which option is taken, as long as he doesn't have to do the heavy lifting of replacing qt with a newer version or adding gtk. He has also stated he will not rewrite modrana to use qt4 although he will gladly welcome patches from someone who does so.

Last edited by jcharpak; 2014-12-26 at 18:26. Reason: (begin whine) linking to specific posts is hard (end whine)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
He has also stated he will not rewrite modrana to use qt4 although he will gladly welcome patches from someone who does so.
And that's exactly why I'm asking if something happened ;-) - I'm not a coder so I can only keep hoping someone with better skills want's modrana on the N9 as well ...

Sorry for bothering ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Martin, may I bring your attention to this and the following post. It started off with cross-linking modRana and Poor Maps tile caches, so that they coukd share each other's tiles.

It appears that the MapQuest file type was wrong but all I had to do was edit map_config.conf, find the MapQuest section and change 'png' to 'jpg'. I love it when things are so easy
I've already committed the modRana "compatibility fix" to the repository and it should be part of the next release.

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
I'm getting a "failed to load routing data" message when attempting to route via point to point, here to point, or address to address.
Weird, seems to be working fine for me with both online & offline routing.

Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
See post 1656 and 1665 of this thread. Short version,MartinK is not actively working on harmattan as it lacks some old stuff (gtk as opposed to only qt) so can't use the N900 code and lacks new stuff (qt5, qml 2) so can't use the sailfish code. Since this makes the N9 neither fish nor fowl, Martin isn't actively working on it. Three options were given, rip out the software guts of the N9 and replace them with something newer, rip out te software guts and replace them with something older or rewrite modrana mostly from scratch to use what the N9 has. Martin stated he doesn't particularly care which option is taken, as long as he doesn't have to do the heavy lifting of replacing qt with a newer version or adding gtk. He has also stated he will not rewrite modrana to use qt4 although he will gladly welcome patches from someone who does so.
Thanks for the summarization - spot on! As Harmattan seems to still remain very very dead, the "try to run GTK from the old packages & run the GTK GUI with it" alternative seems to be the only viable alternative. Unfortunately I haven't really got to look on that yet and can't really say when I'll get to it considering all the other modRana work & general being busy. Of course anyone willing to help with this would be very welcome!

And that's exactly why I'm asking if something happened ;-) - I'm not a coder so I can only keep hoping someone with better skills want's modrana on the N9 as well ...

Sorry for bothering ...
It's fine.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
modRana 0.50.x has been released!

New modRana release is finally here with various highlights!

Automatic tile refresh for dynamic layers
ModRana now automatically redownloads tiles for dynamic tile layers (such as traffic, weather, etc.) if the cached tile is older than a given per-layer threshold. So often updated map layers should now up to date.

Network mode setting in Qt 5 GUI
It is now possible to switch between full and minimal (don't download map tiles automatically) in Options->Network in the Qt 5 GUI.

Thanks a lot to Fredric Ferner for contributing these two improvements!

Android support
ModRana now also finally works on Android. Thanks a lot to Thomas Perl for helping me to get my Android PyOtherside expeiriments to a usable shape and thus making modRana on Android possible!

Also I'm really glad that "modRana alumni" who left the Maemo world for Android might be able to enjoy modRana yet again!

ModRana is using the Qt 5 GUI on Android and should generally provide the same features as when running on Sailfish OS or on desktop with the Qt 5 GUI.

So go ahead and grab the latest modRana Android APK and report any issues!

Changelog

Code:
* Fri Jan 02 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.50.4
 * the actual Python 2.5 compatibility fixes
* Thu Jan 01 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.50.3
 * Python 2.5 compatibility fixes
* Thu Jan 01 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.50.2
 * first official modRana release for Android! :)
 * make theme parsing more robust
 * fix window sizing regression on Sailfish OS
* Wed Dec 31 2014 Martin Kolman - 0.50.1
 * layer timeout support (Frederic Ferner)
  * dynamic map layers (traffic, weather, etc.) now automatically load new tiles once the oled ones time out
  * not yet handles staring at the same part of map for hours
  * you need to move the map a bit so that the tiles are requested again & refetched
 * support for setting network usage mode in Qt 5 GUI (Frederic Ferner)
  * max - unlimited network usage
  * minimal - no automatic tile download
 * Thanks a lot to Frederic for these nice two patches! :)
 * fix text sizing on icon grid
 * fix compass rose display with qrc (Android)
  * it still does not rotate on Android some reason :)
* Sat Nov 01 2014 Martin Kolman - 0.49.12
 - add missing qt5-qtsensors dependency on Fedora
* Sat Nov 01 2014 Martin Kolman - 0.49.11
 - fix Qt 5 GUI icon & naim in desktop file on Fedora
* Sat Nov 01 2014 Martin Kolman - 0.49.10
 - add the qt5-qtquickcontrols dependency on Fedora
* Sat Nov 01 2014 Martin Kolman - 0.49.9
 - fix the modrana-gtk startup script on Fedora
* Fri Oct 31 2014 Martin Kolman - 0.49.8
 - exclude Monav binaries from the Fedora package

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

Automatic tile refresh for dynamic layers
This is one of the features I've been waiting for. Thanks so much for incorporating it!

And of course, thank you for continuing to actively develop and support modRana after all of these years!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
What about renaming modrana stable to LTS ;

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps