Poll: Shoot at me for loving my N900
Poll Options
Shoot at me for loving my N900

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ copenhagen, Denmark
This is for the newcomer or those hearing about other phones.
I write this in support for the developers of the N900 and Maemo, and in support of all those who own an N900.

1) Why N900 ? Other phones are more cool (or so they say)
Well, other phones might be cool, but N900 is among the very best - hardware wise, and also software wise. Cool factor is varying according to those you hang out with, I guess. N900 is for über-tweekers and freedom fighters alike - 99% is open source and you may even get directly in touch with the guys making the stuff - how cool is that ? I claim that it gives all users of N900 an edge

2) What to do with the N900 ?
Whatever you like - I personally use it for almost anything, I can think of - camera, video streaming(recording), remote control for my stereo (actually a pc hooked up with an amplifier and an infra red receiver). I use the GPS in my car for navigation and listen to songs on my (outdated) car stereo via the fm-transmitter. I work part-time as surveyor -and I use the GPS recording facilities when I don't have the need or the time to bring out the heavier high-precision GPS (Leica). I use various tools to keep track of my appointments and planning projects, and I have all my contacts there -email,skype, etc. Yes, I make phone calls, too. When I go to bed, I like to listen to music, so I connect to my stereo and stream some music from my collection or I download a movie and watch it before falling asleep. I could mention so much more - to me it is the swiss army knife of phones. And yes, it all works - even though I sometime had to tweek it into submission ;-)

3) Why Maemo ?
Because it is open source and it is a full OS. You can even use the knowledge you gain when using it in other similar OSes. Most of the apps are free, and you can get by paying for very little.
It is time-consuming in the beginning to tweek and configure Maemo, but after a while you feel that there seldom is a problem you can't solve (especially thanks to the great forums and contributers). So you get smarter, not just addicted to some company's vision of what you need a phone for, and what they can make you pay for. Donating, when possible is a better way (IMHO)

4) What will be the next "N900" ?
Possibly something like it, only better, but it is highly debated. I think a lot of people, who have been so pleasantly surprised of the N900 are dreading the future. I hope the guys at Nokia will continue believing that an open source phone such as N900 is the way to go, but who knows ? Maybe some other company will take over, where Nokia left, at least I am confident that it is by far the better way.

I hope that the readers of this - my rant/uninhibited opinion about the N900/Maemo will forgive me for being so over-joyous over my phone, but I hope I will never go back to some closed-source, over-hyped, semi-intelligent phone. Thank you for N900 :-)

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to groucho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
I write this in support for the developers of the N900 and Maemo, and in support of all those who own an N900.

Well, other phones might be cool, but N900 is among the very best - hardware wise, and also software wise. Cool factor is varying according to those you hang out with, I guess. N900 is for über-tweekers and freedom fighters alike - 99% is open source and you may even get directly in touch with the guys making the stuff - how cool is that ? I claim that it gives all users of N900 an edge

2) What to do with the N900 ?
Whatever you like - I personally use it for almost anything, I can think of - camera, video streaming(recording), remote control for my stereo (actually a pc hooked up with an amplifier and an infra red receiver). I use the GPS in my car for navigation and listen to songs on my (outdated) car stereo via the fm-transmitter. I work part-time as surveyor -and I use the GPS recording facilities when I don't have the need or the time to bring out the heavier high-precision GPS (Leica). I use various tools to keep track of my appointments and planning projects, and I have all my contacts there -email,skype, etc. Yes, I make phone calls, too. When I go to bed, I like to listen to music, so I connect to my stereo and stream some music from my collection or I download a movie and watch it before falling asleep. I could mention so much more - to me it is the swiss army knife of phones. And yes, it all works - even though I sometime had to tweek it into submission ;-)

3) Why Maemo ?
Because it is open source and it is a full OS. You can even use the knowledge you gain when using it in other similar OSes. Most of the apps are free, and you can get by paying for very little.
It is time-consuming in the beginning to tweek and configure Maemo, but after a while you feel that there seldom is a problem you can't solve (especially thanks to the great forums and contributers). So you get smarter, not just addicted to some company's vision of what you need a phone for, and what they can make you pay for. Donating, when possible is a better way (IMHO)

4) What will be the next "N900" ?
Possibly something like it, only better, but it is highly debated. I think a lot of people, who have been so pleasantly surprised of the N900 are dreading the future. I hope the guys at Nokia will continue believing that an open source phone such as N900 is the way to go, but who knows ? Maybe some other company will take over, where Nokia left, at least I am confident that it is by far the better way.

I hope that the readers of this - my rant/uninhibited opinion about the N900/Maemo will forgive me for being so over-joyous over my phone, but I hope I will never go back to some closed-source, over-hyped, semi-intelligent phone. Thank you for N900
:-)
How is it best hardware wise, when there are dual core phones on the market? :-/

All nice and dandy but it will soon wear off... Once upon a time we all were new like you and enjoyed the n900. Bottom line n900 is OLD now and its just about dead. Nokia created a nice hardware but because of lack of support and the release of the so called meego n900 is practically DEAD!.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cenwesi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post

Heard the same when the Zaurus was a one and only Linux Open sourced PDA and OpenZaurus was the ompletely open community ROM which could make the Zaurus live forever.

Ask all the old Zaurus guys (including me) wow well thier free 100% open sourced Zaurus and Open Zaurus ROM's and the community are doing once Sharp withdrew their commercial support.

Without a commercial base and market - nothing will thrive - except as an experimental project maybe.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Hi anwar, I didn't write "the best" - I wrote among the best. The OS is however - in my humble opinion - the best on the market at the moment. (And now I will be flamed by Android lovers :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to groucho For This Useful Post:
Hi cenwesi,
nobody knows the future. I have high hopes. I guess it is a question of personality :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to groucho For This Useful Post:
Did you fall out of a time machine ? 'Cause you sound SO 2010.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Hi nilchak,
I get your point, and I dread the same thing. But I think the user base is too big to be ignored - there is room for a follow-up. The only question is whether it will be Nokia (hopefully) or somebody else. After all, by supporting a device such as N900 we contribute to the process of making hardware and software less proprietary. If not Linux and similar had been supported, software and hardware would have been much more controlled by a few companies. How the present would have looked without the open source movement is indeed hard to know, but I think it would have been duller and more polished - we don't all want to drive standard cars or cars at all, for that matter. Freedom of choice is important - and freedom of choice is not just the choice between brands.

The Following User Says Thank You to groucho For This Useful Post:
Hi Frappacino, maybe I did and maybe I am and so what ? If you have news, then share them with me, please

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Well, it's a great list of what our N900s can do, but as a non-techy, non-Linux savvy user, I do feel that some of the capabilities of this phone are saved only for those amazingly talented code programmers who know what they're doing in X-terminal (which just scares me). I know I'm not alone in being excluded from all those juicy apps/advanced options that need a Masters degree in Linux code, and I wish there was an easy way to get much more out of my N900.

Maybe someone could offer to accept other people's N900s in the mail for programming and tweaking? I know I'd be willing to pay for that! MuhammedAG, you listening? But a HUGE thanks to those guys who have released those easy-to-install tweaks and apps, that improve the out-of-the-box N900 so greatly. You guys deserve Nokia's thanks as well as ours!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post: