Notices

Poll: How should I deal with right-click in the game?
Poll Options
How should I deal with right-click in the game?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hey Folks,

As requested by forum user pokey in this thread, I have ported the game Einstein to Maemo, and I would consider it beta quality as of now. I haven't actually learned how to play the game yet, so while I do, and after, I can use everyone's feedback.
You can currently install the game from the Debian Package here: http://www.sfu.ca/~jgm3/files/maemo/...eta1_armel.deb
I will see about getting it into Extras when I feel it is ready for general consumption.
The modified (GPL'd) source can be found here: http://www.sfu.ca/~jgm3/files/maemo/...8292009.tar.gz
The modified resource sources will be uploaded shortly, and can be found at the same address.

For some reason, the README isn't accessible at the moment, so I'll quote it here:
README for Einstein-n8x0
Last Update: August 29, 2009
(If you installed this package before August 29, 2009, you don't have the latest version. Future versions will have proper version bump)

**This software is beta-quality, as far as the Maemo version and my related edits go. Please contact me on the forum thread URL below for questions about this package. The original developer of Einstein cannot help you with my code, because they don't yet have a copy - and they'll probably be annoyed if you ask them.

Notes:
- Forum thread for discussion: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=317795 - Please report bugs/suggestions there
- This port should be functional, but the code needs some cleaning up and probably some more #ifdefing to make things happyful
- Hold F6 (N8x0 hardware Fullscreen button) to right-click. This is provisional, as it makes the game unplayable for lefties (sorry!). If you have a better idea of how to do this, which will work on at least the N800 and N810 (bonus points for a more universal solution), and won't adversely affect gameplay (or my grades, in getting it implemented :P), please let me know in the forum thread.
- The above note will make it into the in-game help dialog; I don't feel like doing that tonight, so tough.
New features/fixes in the Beta:
- Right-click works. Now you can actually play the game

Known Issues:
- Software does not actually check if you are already holding down the Fullscreen button when you start the game. (I don't know why anyone would, but it will break things, and that's not good; I just didn't feel like fixing it tonight, but it'll be taken care of in short order)
- I've disabled the fullscreen toggle for the Maemo build, because it's pointless, and it also crashes the program. I'm looking into this, but if in the mean time, you manually change the option in the config file, it's your own darn fault.

Please let me know what you think of this, and any issues you experience.
Cheers,

Last edited by jaem; 2009-08-29 at 10:15. Reason: bootstrapping the forum link

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I hadn't tried Einstein before seeing this forum thread. Tried it on the desktop version, looks fun. Thought I'd also install the NIT version as well.
I don't know if its possible, but a zoom function would be nice. Trying to choose what character shows up in each box requires some delicate clicking. One wrong move or slightly uncalibrated screen can end the game. Or, instead of zoom, if the size of the game area was increased and the size of the hint area was reduced it would work better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
I hadn't tried Einstein before seeing this forum thread.
To be honest, I hadn't tried it until I finished compiling the beta :P It's an interesting game

Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
Or, instead of zoom, if the size of the game area was increased and the size of the hint area was reduced it would work better.
That's a good idea. The UI could use some work anyway, and it's not making optimal use of the screen area at the moment. I'll fiddle with that a bit later. Thanks!

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ New Hampshire, USA
It works great! Changing the size of the playing field would be the only possible improvement, but I never really thought that was possible. Thank you very much for all of your work. Considering that the right click issue never even occurred to me at the time of my first post, I feel I've gotten more than what I payed for. Please consider our contract satisfied.

I don't know what you thought of the tile set I sent you, but if you liked it, and want any further work (modification, resizing, etc...) on it, just say the word.

thank you again.
pokey

By the way, for anyone who hasn't or doesn't want to follow the old thread:

Right click is done by holding down the fullscreen button while tapping with the stylus.

Hey folks,
Things are a bit crazy for me right now, what with university coming up in a few days. Once things settle down a bit, I'll be back to work on Einstein, and I'll post here/blog about it some more. Some things are still up in the air a bit, though. I'm in communication with the original developer of Einstein, and we'll be working to make this better.

Cheers,

Hey jaem, have you had a chance to play the game yet? What do you think of it, or is all of the fun in code?

@pokey: I played it at 4am after finishing the beta build. Heh... So I kept getting halfway through and doing something stupid. It's definitely an interesting game, and challenging enough to keep me interested for a while. I'd actually never heard of it before, so thanks for introducing me to it. The code is interesting as well, though.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ GA, USA
I was wondering if anyone was still developing or willing to continue development and port it to the n900?

Tags
einstein