Hey could anyone make a video showing the browsing and software download experience on EDGE? I'll by using the N900 on AT&T and would like to see if it is worse, better or equal to how it is on the iphone.

its not too bad, but its noticeable compared with any other phone that can access ATT's 3G network, given EDGE is about 1/2 or more times slower in download speeds than 3G.

Originally Posted by Ayle View Post
Hey could anyone make a video showing the browsing and software download experience on EDGE? I'll by using the N900 on AT&T and would like to see if it is worse, better or equal to how it is on the iphone.
I use 2,5 in lots of places - its fine as you can expect from 2.5 browsing. the iphone as a rule does not render the actual full webpage so you cannot expect it to be the same apples to apples comparison.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I use 2,5 in lots of places - its fine as you can expect from 2.5 browsing. the iphone as a rule does not render the actual full webpage so you cannot expect it to be the same apples to apples comparison.
Edge is better than expected. I just wish the N900 had better reception in low signal areas where I live. I am not the only one. There are two more N900 owners in my area suffering the same signal issue compared to their Crackberries. One of them, buying the N900 on my recommendation back in October.

Funny thing is that the Tmo staff in a few of the stores near where I live are heavy geeks and have been trying to get the N900 as well.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-06 at 17:33.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
That is the reason why I'm asking because on the iPhone Safari would just completely lock up if you tried to scroll while the page was not fully loaded and it would either resume working later or you'd get a crash back to springboard...

EDGE on the n900 is totally tolerable. I've been downloading packages ("apps") and browsing sites. AJAX heavy sites like Facebook suck on EDGE though. It might be noted that I was using it practically under a tower at the time, so that was helping.

Made a very blurry video with my n82. Hope you like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8HXAHYZw-Q

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cd0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I just wish the N900 had better reception in low signal areas where I live. I am not the only one. There are two more N900 owners in my area suffering the same signal issue compared to their Crackberries
I'm having the opposite experience. The cellphone radio seems very good, maybe better than any other phone I've had including a G1 and Razr. And the N900 is much better than the G1 at geting and holding a 3G signal. T-Mobile's 3G suddenly has better coverage than I thought.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by cd0 View Post
EDGE on the n900 is totally tolerable. I've been downloading packages ("apps") and browsing sites. AJAX heavy sites like Facebook suck on EDGE though. It might be noted that I was using it practically under a tower at the time, so that was helping.
For Facebook a quicker (and cleaner) alternative is lite.facebook.com. It works well with the smaller screen and is much simpler code-wise then the full blown site. The advantage of lite vs. the mobile version or iPhone/Touch versions of Facebook is that lite is full content.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
It's better than I expected, and it definitely loads the whole page still.