Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Update:

New video with sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVr3qjWbUU

The video says all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeERqY9vFw

(To create rotate.py on the N900, download Leafpad, copy and paste the script in, and save as rotate.py )

Please note: Forcing the N900 to rotate can cause stability issues that lead to a reboot. Please be careful when using this script.

This is in no way a day-to-day usable keyboard, it's only a proof of concept.

Also, I claim no ownership of either discovery, just the result of putting the two together.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-06-03 at 02:18.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Very nice! I don't usually use the virtual keyboard (or the N900 in Portrait mode) but still a lot of people have been asking for this.

Maybe with some adjustments to the graphics this can be adjusted to display bigger buttons on the needed parts.

Is it even possible to work on the Nokia already included keyboard and change it somehow or is it a closed component ? Even the graphics...?

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
this is old, right?

edit: no, I see now........

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-06-01 at 03:46.

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
this is old, right?
Video is dated May 31, 2010

Originally Posted by God_Lx View Post
Very nice! I don't usually use the virtual keyboard (or the N900 in Portrait mode) but still a lot of people have been asking for this.

Maybe with some adjustments to the graphics this can be adjusted to display bigger buttons on the needed parts.

Is it even possible to work on the Nokia already included keyboard and change it somehow or is it a closed component ? Even the graphics...?
It's themable, obviously, but as for resizing, I don't know. There's been talk of resizing buttons on Diablo with ukeyboard, but that topic seems to have died, and i can't find it. (Will update if I can.)

f2thak, rotate.py's quite old, yes, but the only other place I've seen the portrait keyboard hack is in MohammadAG's PR1.2 SDK thread. (The topic is also now dead, and the keyboard image since removed.)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

nosa101, Yes, I just made it today.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
so if nokia never makes a portrait vkb, we will have one anyway!

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
so if nokia never makes a portrait vkb, we will have one anyway!
Sort of, and not really... but, essentially, yes!

Tried it and seems ok with me! A little bit more and i'll get used to it. Good thing I have a past experience with an eseries device with small qwerty keyboard. And also good thing this good old n900 isn't a capacitive screen else this would be impossible to use. Also isn' this python script a battery hog? Cause if i would regularly use this then this script should open 18hours a day.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Sort of, and not really... but, essentially, yes!
very nice one question will it be possible to run this script on startup? and how much battery will it consume?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Could something like matchbox-keyboard, ukeyboard, xkbd or xvkbd from the N800 be used for any advantage and have a Portrait Keyboard (skinning the keyboard to look good should be the easy part I believe) or it's just easier to try and resize the elements and rotate like the method found ?