Notices

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by BGK View Post
And another proposal:

I know there were discussions about the position icons, but couldn't be the center circle be used to show the sat signal quality (see attachment)?

green: sat fix ok
yellow: poor sats / sats lost for < x (30?) seconds
red: no sat fix / sat fix lost for > x (30?) seconds

So, we could see the sat quality at a glance, which is interesting e.g. while driving through tunnels or in other situations with poor gps reception.
How about showing the accuracy circle we already have while not navigating, also below the navigation position marker?
Waze is showing a grey circle even below their already beautifully readable position marker arrow to make it a tad more visible. In waze the circle becomes blue when there is no sat-fix.
In Pure Maps the the circle width could show the accuracy and thus would even be informative and not just there for style reasons.
Maybe also some color change from orange/red = no sat-fix to grey or greenish if the accuracy reached certain level?
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Are you sure? Diging around in Laufhelden, I didn't find any occurrence of Keepalive. It seems to be done otherwise (maybe by dbus requests?). But as stated before, I'm new to all of this, yet trying to learn and understand (which is rather challenging as there are many new things to be understood )...
there should be some mechanism preventing a phone to get to sleep while navigating. Using keepalive, in my understanding, is a standard approach for SFOS.

Re enabling: its possible to switch the policy towards - start navigation and I'll be blabbing till you stop me. Currently, I can switch off the screen and blabbing will stop. If the users think that new policy is better, no need for settings then.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
How about showing the accuracy circle we already have while not navigating, also below the navigation position marker?
Waze is showing a grey circle even below their already beautifully readable position marker arrow to make it a tad more visible. In waze the circle becomes blue when there is no sat-fix.
In Pure Maps the the circle width could show the accuracy and thus would even be informative and not just there for style reasons.
Maybe also some color change from orange/red = no sat-fix to grey or greenish if the accuracy reached certain level?
I am not sure I follow - we have uncertainty marker below the position marker whether its in navigation or normal mode. Although, maybe some additional marking indicating when the signal is lost or we are at very low resolution level. I will have to look into what is possible (blinking, colors, ...).

PS: Issue added https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/234

Last edited by rinigus; 2019-03-26 at 15:58.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
I am not sure I follow - we have uncertainty marker below the position marker whether its in navigation or normal mode. Although, maybe some additional marking indicating when the signal is lost or we are at very low resolution level. I will have to look into what is possible (blinking, colors, ...).

PS: Issue added https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/234
My fault. i never saw that the "uncertainty marker" is there all the time...
When there is a good signal it is just smaller than the position marker and i never zoomed in enough to see it

So what i was actually asking above is to give the uncertainty circle a minimum size larger than the position marker so it is visible all the time and gives an additional contrast between map and position marker.

If the uncertainty is greater than the minimum circle size, extend the radius and fade it into red until signal is lost.
Does that make more sense?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
there should be some mechanism preventing a phone to get to sleep while navigating.
I didn't find any hints on sleep states in SFOS and if apps stop while sleeping, yet (anyone else?). I supposed, they don't and therefore thought, it would be enough to implement the nav voice / stop/start mediaplayer thing the way Jens does.

BTW: In the meantime I found out, that Jens does start/resume the media players sound via dbus.

Re enabling: its possible to switch the policy towards - start navigation and I'll be blabbing till you stop me. Currently, I can switch off the screen and blabbing will stop. If the users think that new policy is better, no need for settings then.
Well, my preference would be "babble till I stop you", but I also could live with another switch in settings -> navigation (ev. named "voice navigation even when display off" beneath "voice navigation"?) to turn this on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BGK For This Useful Post:
@rinigus: Sometimes, after using PM without any troubles, closing it (completely) and trying to start it again (after minutes or hours), it doesn't come up.

Only the tile on the "SFOS-desktop" comes up with the rotating circle in it and disappears again after a few seconds (about 5-10, I guess - no qml full screen page visible).

In this state, the only way to get PM working again, was to reboot the device.

Are there other ways to "reanimate" PM in this state and which options are there to check what's happening when this behaviour occurs?

The Following User Says Thank You to BGK For This Useful Post:
Is it really required to show the position marker when there is no gps fix? If I open the application to explore the map or check places or for whatever reason, my current position is indicated as last known position. And if I click center on current position, the map even gets centered there, while it is not actually my current position. I think position marker should be greyed out or made transparent or not even shown and center on current position should not work unless there is a valid position fix.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
My fault. i never saw that the "uncertainty marker" is there all the time...
When there is a good signal it is just smaller than the position marker and i never zoomed in enough to see it
If there's no uncertainty, there's no uncertainty...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BGK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lal View Post
Is it really required to show the position marker when there is no gps fix? If I open the application to explore the map or check places or for whatever reason, my current position is indicated as last known position. And if I click center on current position, the map even gets centered there, while it is not actually my current position. I think position marker should be greyed out or made transparent or not even shown and center on current position should not work unless there is a valid position fix.
Well, in my opinion it would be more convenient to see, if the position marker is the actual location or at the last known one. My proposed colors are just one possibility for such an indication (mosen and rinigus proposed others).

At the moment, the position marker is shown the way it is - even when GPS is turned off in SFOS' settings. The proposed marker could remind you, that it's turned off, also (color/state x = gps off, color/state y = old position, color/state z = actual position).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BGK For This Useful Post:
If there's no uncertainty, there's no uncertainty...
yeah.

The benefit of an always visible uncertainty circle is kind of small, admitted.
You could see slight changes when the circle is bumping in size or see when the signal is about to get lost by the circle getting bigger. Question is how important is that info.

But the main thing i am interested is readability and waze shows that a circle below the position-marker can give a little help to contrast from the map and route. So the low hanging fruit in Pure Maps is just to define a minimum size to the already exisiting uncertanty circle imho.
Fully aware that it is technically incorrect then because the accuracy is actually better than the circle size.
Question is if that degree of accuracy is desirable to be shown correctly or as in my case accuracy better than the size of the position-marker itself is not even recognized as such info

Originally Posted by lal View Post
Is it really required to show the position marker when there is no gps fix?
At the moment, the position marker is shown the way it is - even when GPS is turned off in SFOS' settings. The proposed marker could remind you, that it's turned off, also (color/state x = gps off, color/state y = old position, color/state z = actual position).
In case of signal loss it is indeed a good idea to recolor the position marker. Maybe even red.
My gibrish was all around signal indication while navigating.

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-26 at 18:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post: