I have a question about tty , I tried to setup debian on my n900 using debootstrap (following instructions on https://elektranox.org/n900/installation/manual.html), i want a basic console login ,not X , so i left nodm disabled, rebooting into the debian install , it boots but the screen freezes at "Booting" , i know it booted because connectiong it to my desktop , i can ssh into it , please note that if X is started (typing startx from desktop), the display works and graphical desktop is displayed , what i really need it to get console login , I read that this problem is related to tty being disabled at kernel level , before messing with the kernel , is there any workaround ? other possible causes ? thanks alot

The Following User Says Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ New Jersey, USA
I was also hoping to get a console-only debian installation on the N900. So far no luck. It doesn't look like anyone has really put a lot of effort into getting this to work - I guess there's a limited amount of people interested in a command line only interface for a phone.

Linux console is disabled in maemo stock kernel, if you wanna boot into console, you need to recompile maemo kernel and enable console.

I'm trying to boot into X in this debian, but OTOH having problems with the N900 rebooting once in it, due to watchdog resetting the device.

When you booted it, albeit without console output, and ssh'd in, did it stay on without rebooting?

How did you set-up watchdog, so it wouldn't reboot? I'm not having success using the tarball and instructions at elextravox's site...