Notices

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
Originally Posted by skanky View Post

2) This may get round (1), but is there a way to download the tiles (OSM Mapnik, preferably) on a computer (Linux, but I can get to Windows if necessary)? I have seen the perl script to import them to sqlite, so I know what to do once I've got them.

3) What are the downsides of using the "external" SD card to store the tiles? Not an issue in My Docs at the moment, but if I have a lot of offline tiles stored, I may want to shift them to save space in the future.

Again, many thanks for the application.
You can run Modrana on the linux computer as well, and download the maps there and then transfer them to the N900.

The problem with saving to extrernal SD is with storing them as individual tiles, which is not efficient for small files on the filesystem (FAT) and takes up a lot of extra space ( quickly adding up to 20 GB if you have lots of tiles stored)..

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yeah, their projection seems to slightly differ from the standard web-mercator currently supported in modRana (and used by OSM, Google & co). But as the the map is quite low-resolution, I see fixing this as lower priority.
True, these maps are more of a fun addition, adds some bragging rights (look at what MY phone can do like the historic, moon and mars maps in Marble)

Nice combination ! Can I add this image to the modRana screenshot gallery ?
Yes, I forgot Maemo.org automatically resizes them, I´ll upload a full resolution one.

Cloudmade Tourist + Google public transport overlay (50%)

Stamen watercolor + Google weather overlay (100%)

MapQuest EU + Opensignal (50%)

I plan to add a layer setting to the map configuration file, that would set for how long will the map tiles be considered valid before being redownloaded (and maybe even reload currently displayed tiles ?). Something like:
Code:
max_age=2 # in hours
And a setting in Options to turn this behavior on/off.

Also, any ideas how I should set it for the different layers (eq. how often are they updated ?)?
A option for setting these in map layers (per mode state list setting, this button doesnt do anything yet?)) would be nice, maybe only for weather and traffic ?, Once every few hours for things like weather. For traffic more often. I thinmk at least once every time modrana runs (with network connection).

As a workaround until this is implemented, you can just delete the folder before starting modRana (and if storing to tiles, maybe even periodically delete it while modRana is running ).
This works fine, I already noticed the weather icons not being updated and deleted the maps.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
You can run Modrana on the linux computer as well, and download the maps there and then transfer them to the N900.
Yes, I've since seen that and am considering it as a possibility, thanks.

Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
The problem with saving to extrernal SD is with storing them as individual tiles, which is not efficient for small files on the filesystem (FAT) and takes up a lot of extra space ( quickly adding up to 20 GB if you have lots of tiles stored)..
So the sqlite db has to be in My Docs? No big deal at the moment, was more thinking about the future if/when that starts to get full.

Incidentally, after reading through the downloading tiles issues, it looks like I'll be scaling back my offline stored stuff, and just updating if I plan to leave my covered area. I'm currently downloading some from Mapquest and hope to have a reasonable local coverage soon.

I hadn't realised that it was an issue.

Thanks everyone for the help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
Yes, I've since seen that and am considering it as a possibility, thanks.

So the sqlite db has to be in My Docs? No big deal at the moment, was more thinking about the future if/when that starts to get full.

Incidentally, after reading through the downloading tiles issues, it looks like I'll be scaling back my offline stored stuff, and just updating if I plan to leave my covered area. I'm currently downloading some from Mapquest and hope to have a reasonable local coverage soon.

I hadn't realised that it was an issue.

Thanks everyone for the help.
No, the database can be anywhere. I had some 22 GB in use for the maps for a few cities, freed up most of it when I reloaded them as sqlite. I downloaded them as seperate tiles for use with other nav programs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
i am at work, and would not check...for n900(running with 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo7.2+thumb0 CSSU), is the version v0.39.9 the latest? I did not see anything about update last night.
I can't see an update notification either (in HAM or FAM). I've tried "apt-get install modrana" but it says modrana is already updated. I currently have 0.36.6 installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by chill View Post
I can't see an update notification either (in HAM or FAM). I've tried "apt-get install modrana" but it says modrana is already updated. I currently have 0.36.6 installed.
That would be because that is the latest version available in extras:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...ree/m/modrana/

Newer versions than 0.3.36 are in extras-devel:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...ree/m/modrana/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Right, I tried to use the Perl import script on a set of tiles and got the following error, many times (many, many times), probably one per tile:

Code:
datatype mismatch: bind param (5) png as integer at ./mapconvert.pl line 80.
It also only created store.sqlite.0 - would I be right in guessing that the numbering is not relevant to the zoom level?

The sqlite store is 676M in size, so I tried it on the device anyway, without expecting it to work.

The tiles are Mapquest and I selected that on the device, and got it to download some tiles - store tiles is turned on. There was no MapQuest dir created in the .maps dir, so I just copied the sqlite files into .maps. When I then went to the are I had downloaded, the UI said it was downloading tiles (it was quick). Still no Mapquest dir was created.

So....am I right in thinking I messed something up?

1) Has anyone else seen the perl error - is my copy of the script out of date (I took it from the beermad link at theModRana wiki)?

2) Should there be a Mapquest subdir, and how should it be named?

3) What would be the best indicator that it all worked, when I get it sorted?

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
I was wondering - is there a way to convert arbitrary images to a map tiles layer? I have aviation maps downloaded from here: http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...chartlist_sect. And I want to use that as a map layer. I can crop the .tiffs to get just the map part, but then can this be converted into a tile layer modRana can use?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That would be because that is the latest version available in extras:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...ree/m/modrana/

Newer versions than 0.3.36 are in extras-devel:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...ree/m/modrana/
Fixed! I actually had extras-devel enabled, and Opera Mobile (also in extras-devel) was prompting to upgrade without fail, but Modrana wasn't. The problem was that my distribution was "fremantle-1.3", not "fremantle", and Modrana 0.39.11 only exists in "fremantle"

The content on the wiki http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-devel is thus misleading/incorrect: "Enter a distribution of ‘fremantle’ (‘fremantle-1.2’ and ‘fremantle-1.3’ now have the same content)"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Right, I tried to use the Perl import script on a set of tiles and got the following error, many times (many, many times), probably one per tile:

Code:
datatype mismatch: bind param (5) png as integer at ./mapconvert.pl line 80.
It also only created store.sqlite.0 - would I be right in guessing that the numbering is not relevant to the zoom level?

The sqlite store is 676M in size, so I tried it on the device anyway, without expecting it to work.

The tiles are Mapquest and I selected that on the device, and got it to download some tiles - store tiles is turned on. There was no MapQuest dir created in the .maps dir, so I just copied the sqlite files into .maps. When I then went to the are I had downloaded, the UI said it was downloading tiles (it was quick). Still no Mapquest dir was created.

So....am I right in thinking I messed something up?

1) Has anyone else seen the perl error - is my copy of the script out of date (I took it from the beermad link at theModRana wiki)?

2) Should there be a Mapquest subdir, and how should it be named?

3) What would be the best indicator that it all worked, when I get it sorted?

Thanks.
I finally had time today to return to this, and I found the bug report for mapconvert earlier in this thread. It's now chuntering through my downloaded tiles. Hopefully all will be obvious once it's finished.

It might be worth mentioning the bug at the beermad site's version on the wiki where it's linked.

Sorry for missing it when I posted earlier.

Right, all sorted, many thanks MartinK and all else who have contributed to this superb application.

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps