Hmmm... Nokia was teasing solar technology on their conversations site not long ago (something to the tune 'summer is coming' in Feb? might've been overinterpreted by MNB and it was just about upcoming summer announcements, no idea). The OH gives this quite a spin. With a solar panel the size of normal back cover solar is not an option with today's tech, you might prevent the charge going down on a sunny summer day, maybe gain a couple of percents of charge after keeping the phone idle for a few hours. With OH: deployable back cover making the area 3x (or 5x) larger, this might work. So futuristic too (queue in ads showing space probes/ships deploying solar panels, future is now, in your pocket...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
It would be nice if "Other Half" covers connects to a physical USB 3 interface on the phone that support host mode and plug-n-play, rather than NFC/blue tooth/wireless.

A "Other half" with usb hub that you can plugin a 4 TB hard disk, keyboard, mouse, bar code scanner, RF id reader, or what ever USB devices you my have.

A "Other half" maybe something that allows us to plug in a standard SDXC card with the feature(s), instead of carrying around several "Other half" covers that just offers us 1 extra feature. Just carry around a bunch of SDXC cards will be much easier and more practical. Other half may even support multiple SDXC slots. This makes it easy for developers to come up with SD cards instead of a full back cover.

Other Half/SD Card options I am thinking of.
  • A car key that allows you to start/stop the car.
  • A key that recognizes when I am away and locks my PC.
  • A secure payment method
  • A key that provides extra security for emails, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
A "presentation" OH. It would have a laser pointer, wireless button device to advance slides, maybe a thumbdrive or retractable USB cord to xfer the slides to the PC.

Just brainstorming. Its UMPC periferals!

The Following User Says Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:
An "erector set" OH. It would basically just be a robotic platform with a back with lots of mounting brackets / holes and an interface for a microcontroller.

A "pilot buddy" OH. It would have the minimum required FAA instruments and the emergency locator beacon. Useful for hikers too if they get lost.

One thing that worries me... Apple was dumb for making a proprietary connector that generated an entire market for iphone accessories with that connector.

Without some kind of standard connector, I see the OH resulting in the same thing... a slew of peripheral devices that are only compatible with one phone.

Do we think the second Jolla will have the same OH or will it be like the new Apple connector and completely different?

There needs to be some way to make it generic so people who want to can cut up and hack together their own OH with off-the-shelf components.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Renders of the Other Half on the Jolla website are remarkably lacking on fine detail, although it would appear that NFC tagging would be the most logical choice for the current half being shown, if only based on the "trigger" to change themes, colours and icons etc.

We will wait and see, but since Marc said anything is possible, there's certainly no harm in throwing ideas around.

I'm sure some of the jolla sailors will pop in at some stage to see what is being discussed

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
use SLI / BigLittle mode, "Other Half" can add cpu / gpu / ram~~

That's what i want.

The Following User Says Thank You to colakang For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Nokialand
Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
A "presentation" OH. It would have a laser pointer, wireless button device to advance slides, maybe a thumbdrive or retractable USB cord to xfer the slides to the PC.

Just brainstorming. Its UMPC periferals!
And a pico projector.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by colakang View Post
use SLI
Well...

Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
There needs to be some way to make it generic so people who want to can cut up and hack together their own OH with off-the-shelf components.
On the more sane side of discussion:

Last edited by Hurrian; 2013-05-23 at 12:44.

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo