Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
3G - Dark pink
edge - light pink
Attached Images

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
If you guys follow T-mobile on twitter, they're rolling out 3G pretty quickly over the year. That said, who here actually travels all over the US all the time? T-mobile 3G is awesome here in DC. It works great, and the coverage is good. Everyone I know that has AT&T and on their 3G network in the area barely gets faster than EDGE speeds.

The real solution is to move to an area with T-MO 3G coverage :-D

Originally Posted by theflew View Post
You need to study those maps carefully. The t-mobile map only shows 3G where the other makes show general cell service as well. The actually 3G coverage doesn't look that much different. Basically major cities.
i am looking at it carefully. the blue spots in ATTis at least 5-10x greater area than the t mobile spots.

http://coverage.t-mobile.com/default.aspx?MapType=Data

heres the map sachiin posted. the dark red marks are where the 3g is.

if you make the maps the same size as the ATT map, the 3g for t mobile wouldn't cover tip of your index finger. whereas the ATT maps..each state with coverage has more coverage than t mobile has in the entire country (slightly exaggerated but not really)..

and lol at phil

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
...and now I can sit back and watch the arguing and angst that this has produced among the folks that wanted a cell phone radio built-in. Meanwhile, the telcos shall enrich themselves upon the tears of everyone involved and not involved alike.

Originally Posted by phi View Post
If you guys follow T-mobile on twitter, they're rolling out 3G pretty quickly over the year. That said, who here actually travels all over the US all the time? T-mobile 3G is awesome here in DC. It works great, and the coverage is good. Everyone I know that has AT&T and on their 3G network in the area barely gets faster than EDGE speeds.

The real solution is to move to an area with T-MO 3G coverage :-D
Haha the only place I've seen my cousin's iPhone not work was in Ocean City. But the city of College Park also gets spotty service (particularly in the campus). Ironically considering that Maryland is pushing the iPhone. But they're planning on putting up a cell phone radio tower there.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

This is a better map for T-Mob coverage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc...pport=Coverage

I'm currently on At&t, since I had the first gen iPhone, sold it to get my Tilt. I'm still on the fence whether to get the new iPhone, or jump ship to T-Mob for an Android based phone, or now maybe, the N900.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
This is a better map for T-Mob coverage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc...pport=Coverage

I'm currently on At&t, since I had the first gen iPhone, sold it to get my Tilt. I'm still on the fence whether to get the new iPhone, or jump ship to T-Mob for an Android based phone, or now maybe, the N900.
That map is of voice coverage. You need to click the data tab for data.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
...and now I can sit back and watch the arguing and angst that this has produced among the folks that wanted a cell phone radio built-in. Meanwhile, the telcos shall enrich themselves upon the tears of everyone involved and not involved alike.
There's very little point in producing this kind of hardware and NOT having a cell radio built-in these days, whether you want to believe it or not. It's the major reason the previous tablets didn't sell.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
There's very little point in producing this kind of hardware and NOT having a cell radio built-in these days, whether you want to believe it or not. It's the major reason the previous tablets didn't sell.
It's also a missed opportunity to lead the way to make it modular and work on ANY carrier with a plug-in. Yanno.. where the circuit for the radio CURRENTLY resides.. right inside there with the battery and the SD card, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's also a missed opportunity to lead the way to make it modular and work on ANY carrier with a plug-in. Yanno.. where the circuit for the radio CURRENTLY resides.. right inside there with the battery and the SD card, etc.
There's probably a really good reason that it hasn't been done. I'm not an engineer at the FCC though.