Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I hope some people can modify the wiki page I started at "PR1.2 compulsory My Nokia subscription", especially the bottom "How to avoid the compulsory registration while upgrading to PR1.2" section. I can't do much more work on that myself at the moment, as I'm avoiding PR1.2 too!
I decided to test the workround. However, my device doesn't want to offer me the upgrade!? I have tried going into AppMgr and selecting "Update" but it isn't offering me the PR1.2 upgrade.

Does this mean Nokia have actually taken some action and taken the OTA upgrade down? It is still offered as a download for flashing (and they haven't changed the terms and conditions for accessing that page, which would have been an obvious thing to do).

Graham

The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Oh, FWIW, the CSD daemon will try like **** to send the message out.

I kept getting USSD messages every two seconds telling me my credit is down to £0.00 because I had no credit in the first place and CSD wants to get the message out. Deleted the one file in /var/spool/sms/outgoing and also deleted /var/spool/sms/regs_out.txt and it stopped.

So, if you do workaround it by using no SIM, make sure you check for those files before putting one back in.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Oh, FWIW, the CSD daemon will try like **** to send the message out.

I kept getting USSD messages every two seconds telling me my credit is down to £0.00 because I had no credit in the first place and CSD wants to get the message out. Deleted the one file in /var/spool/sms/outgoing and also deleted /var/spool/sms/regs_out.txt and it stopped.

So, if you do workaround it by using no SIM, make sure you check for those files before putting one back in.
Many thanks for that. Please add this to the wiki page if you can. What's CSD, by the way?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
I decided to test the workround. However, my device doesn't want to offer me the upgrade!? I have tried going into AppMgr and selecting "Update" but it isn't offering me the PR1.2 upgrade.

Does this mean Nokia have actually taken some action and taken the OTA upgrade down? It is still offered as a download for flashing (and they haven't changed the terms and conditions for accessing that page, which would have been an obvious thing to do).

Graham
The OTA upgrade is still showing up for me, even if I have done "touch ~/.cherry_state".

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Many thanks for that. Please add this to the wiki page if you can. What's CSD, by the way?
I guess it's the phone stack in a way, look at what it provides:
ii csd-base 0.3.16+0m5 Cellular Services Daemon
ii csd-call 0.8.3.5+0m5 CALL service plugin for cellular services da
ii csd-gprs 1.0.13+0m5 GPRS service plugin for cellular services da
ii csd-info 0.2.6+0m5 Phone info service plugin for cellular servi
ii csd-sat 0.4.0+0m5 Transitional package from CSD SAT plugin
ii csd-sms 0.6.23+0m5 SMS service plugin for cellular services dae
ii csd-ss 0.4.1+0m5 SS service plugin for cellular services daem
CSD is the daemon itself and the others are modules for it, found in /usr/lib/csd/modules. Most of them provide D-Bus services for control (Cherry uses the Phone.SMS service...).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
How easy is it to customise the firmware image before flashing to remove the cherry package completely, so that it is never on the device? I realise that the device will then no longer receive OTA Maemo 5 updates but that's fine with me.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
It is probably easier with OTA. The procedure that should work (non tested):

Download mp-fremantle-generic-pr package (e.g. with command apt-get install -d mp-fremantle-generic-pr ).

Unpak it (with ar command), and unpack the file control.tar.gz.

This file includes a text file called control, which includes a list of dependencies. Edit this file, removing cherry.

Repack control.tar.gz and replace it in the deb file (again, with ar command).

Create your own repository, and put this modified package in it.

Add your repository to apt sources.list, and run apt-cache policy mp-fremantle-generic-pr to make sure it will be installed from your repository, and not from Nokia's.

Then, apt-get dist-upgrade should update your system OTA, without cherry package.

If you want to create an installable fiasco image, download the firmware image, and use the flasher-3.5 tool to unpack the fiasco image. The largest file is the root ubifs image. See instructions here for mounting it: http://osl.sed.hu/wiki/ubifs/index.p...oad_the_source . After mounting it, you can change it, unmount, and repack the fiasco image.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Upon OTA upgrade I got the "terms", actually read all of it, didn't agree to it, looked for the "I do not agree" button and couldn't find it.... No way to revert to the earlier version, either.
Apparently clicking outside the window cancels.

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Curiosities: As Nokia isn't in my contacts list, and receiving didn't add it, that message is only retreivable through the Conversations app, and no number is shown for it. Selecting the face icon and "call" leads to the phone app which then says "this contact's application does not support calls".
Number-based SMS is for mortals. SMS have a CHAR header that allows anything to be sent as a source. For inter-mortal communications, they are sent as phone numbers, but providers can replace that with characters, to verify the sender.

A SMS sent with a character signature (say, "Vodafone") can only come from either Vodafone or some other provider that has been linked into the network.

I remember back in the old days there were open, free pages from providers that allowed one to send SMSs with whatever signature you wanted, making for a fun time. They also allowed for special "flash" messages to be sent from their gateway, which are the messages like credit reports that are only "flashed" to the user and never got saved unless you selected "save". Flash messages also have special payloads, like settings from providers, as well as special notifications: you have voice mail, you have mail, etc (those icons that lit up on your screen).

1999 was a lot more fun.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
That's it! got today my bill just as i expected. Didnt help even after flashing . What i found out that its a cover up number from Vodaphone no matter who's sending sms text message behind it.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Apparently clicking outside the window cancels.
Although people have suggested to try that, I don't think it actually works, as it's a full-screen window, not a dialogue box.