Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
Hi,

From N900 (maemo) to iPhone4 (iOS) to LG Optimus 3D P920 (Android 2.2) in just 1 1/2 years. Talk about learning the intricacies of these operating systems.

Here are my 2 cents for these 3 platforms.

For me maemo was pretty good experience as far as customization was concerned and i did some little bit of tinkering with it. flashed it many times to recover during installation of Nitdroid and also while trying to install power kernal. Everything worked out well in the end and I had a triple boot (reg / power kernal / nitdroid) enabled.

Managed to hit 1100/125 settings successfully and still going strong. However removed Nitdroid just yesterday since i already have an android device now.

But as a phone it wasn't practical, Bulky as hell many standard features were/are missing. Earlier on even service message codes didn't work till the update after a few months. Than nokia dropped the ball on it on support. We were left hanging with no official support. Thus when i checked out iPhone4 and it's vast app database i thought of buying it.

Talk about painful learning process. iOS is such a closed enviroment it's suffocating. However after painfully learning on how to JB and using CYDIA, things improved as I could manage to change "Themes" and "ringtones" LOL as could be done on phones from last 8 years.

Good things about the iphone was the design/ Ui / practicality / quality. But since mine was a locked phone and was using gevey sim to unlock it, it was pretty bad when it got restarted and had to follow the unlocking process which sometimes worked and sometimes required 10 mins of redoing the same thing to unlock it.

So i had decided to buy ip5 when it would launch sometime in Oct but lo behold my gevey sim started acting up so much that i was unable to keep it unlocked for more than a day. So i got frustated and started checking up on the latest phones.

I found HTC EVO 3D and LG's OPtimus 3D as the next revolutionary devices since rest of the specs were all the same in all new PDAs in the market. After checking comparison videos / reviews etc online i decided to pick up LG's O3D.

Purchased on ebay on 5th and recieved the device in 1 1/2 day. Man what a device, smooth as silk like iOS with dual core Arm A9 1Ghz processors, dual 256Mb ram (512total), in dual channel so both cpus can access individually or simultaneously. Also it has powerVR SG chip as GPU as well. You can read the rest in here

http://www.lg.com/ae/mobile-phones/a...phone-P920.jsp

Loving the real time 3D recording albeit 720p with dual 5MP cameras at the back. Also records full 1080p in 2D. Plays mkv HD 1080 clips straight up as well as well SBS (side by side 3D) files and shows in the 3D screen w/o glasses.

Glasses less 3D screen has a bit tight sweet spot and only one person or 2 max can enjoy the 3D viewing at a time. 3D games included are pretty nice and work well with good popouts. Since i have 3D tv as well i can hook it directly to it via mini hdmi output directly from the phone.

2D recording is amazing as well.

As for the phone and other apps, those are straight up like regular Androids and it's o/s is upgradable to 2.2.3 in Oct since LG had been working on 2.2 interface for long time and didn't want to delay the phone to include 2.2.3 from get go.

The customization options after rooting are close to N900 and much better than iOS. The exception being having no keyboard to type in directly in terminal and relying on sw KB.

I think with 4.3 screen, it's a sweet spot between a tablet and a phone since it's still easy to carry around and the display is big enough to enjoy games/movies on the go.

My only peev at the moment is battery life. IT wont last more than half a day of good usage of net/games/3D recording etc. But the good thing is that it has usb charging so can hook to my car iph4 adapter easily and also to any NB.

It's mentioned in forums that the battery will be improved once the 2.2.3 upgrade is released.

I'm happy with my purchase of this phone and hope to use it for at least a year

I dont think any upcoming non 3D devices can up what these 2 3D phones have at the moment, even iphone 5 wouldn't be such a wow factor for me at least.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sak500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by sak500 View Post
But as a phone it wasn't practical, Bulky as hell many standard features were/are missing.
What standard features are missing? I can call and get called, even SMS those who still use this previous-century way of communication.
IM works great, calendar too. Addressbook nicely unifies all services.

I think I covered standard features....

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
too bad you left the N900

exciting times ahead, Meego 1.3 coming out and CSSU reaching to a mature state and all..

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
lol android. . if the n900 had that hardware wt would u buy?

I bought N900 for 2 months and a mate just bought it for $300 around, new.

@ HELLASISGREECE

I still have all the phones mentioned.

Primary usage P920.

N900 will mostly be used for experimental stuff and will try to install other o/ses on it. But it's used as a secondary phone since i have another number and i dont want to cut that sim into smaller size to put in iphone 4. Iphone now mostly using for angry birds since i have already finished all versions with 3 stars and only finishing the moon cake one. Dont want to start all over again on the android.

So dont jump on the bandwagon of hate just cause i dissed N900.

Last edited by sak500; 2011-09-09 at 19:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to sak500 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by petur View Post
What standard features are missing? I can call and get called, even SMS those who still use this previous-century way of communication.
IM works great, calendar too. Addressbook nicely unifies all services.

I think I covered standard features....
Standard feature such as immediately able to pick up a call rather than wait 4~5 secs before the phone can be answered w/o the need for overclocking the device to 1100mhz. Or when i wanted to transfer phone credit it would not let me use the special USSD or whatever it's call code from get go. Or that for the most part the phone has to be kept in landscape mode. The navigation software was pathetic with no turn by turn feature. Nokia stopped the support outrightly for the phone which was about 700+ at launch.

The Following User Says Thank You to sak500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Canada
yup sak500 is correct man. n900 lacks many thing.bt its best with the hardware it got!

The Following User Says Thank You to n70shan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Canada
as far as android is concerned oh i m loving it. extra ordinary features,apps and support also

The Following User Says Thank You to n70shan For This Useful Post:
What do you mean with no support from Nokia? Sounds like buzz talk to me, like "eco-system". What do you expect under support? I don't understand people saying that.

Most manufacturers stop support after one year. Specially for the non high end devices. Look at Samsung, they are notorious for that. Only Apple releases updates for ALL their devices after more then one year. Very few other manufacturers do that.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.