Active Topics

Poll: What are your thoughts on "humor tags" on threads?
Poll Options
What are your thoughts on "humor tags" on threads?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
if somebody really uses the tag system as a search tool... if he or she does a search for threads tagged with "mms"... how would the quality of this search suffer if some of the threads returned as results were also tagged "so funny" and "fart thread"?
One potential problem I can see is that over time, the tag cloud, which I do use, may become overrun by the humorous tags. Both "annoying thread" and "worst thread ever" are there already.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
One potential problem I can see is that over time, the tag cloud, which I do use, may become overrun by the humorous tags. Both "annoying thread" and "worst thread ever" are there already.
Surely some value there though! One would hope anyway... Mister "Make with the funny and I'll thank your threads".

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i really don't see the problem.
Well, tag cloud becoming a graffiti wall means that the tag cloud will have "lol" "fag" etc etc, in time, which gives it the appearance of a kindergarten game forum.

Not that it's bad, may forums have this and do just well, but it's a pity since most of the forum is quite grown up.

Useful tag is already buried under all-too-common tags, like "N900", then the typos, then the too-specific, etc. reducing the tag cloud from 100 to 20, most in very small script.

I do, however, see a solution to this half automated (no tags get in the cloud under 5 threads) and part manual (mods can ban tags that get through, like "worst thread ever").

And by "ban" I mean "don't show up in cloud".

A(n) UI that suggest tags when adding would also help with tags in general so "PR1.2" and "PR 1.2" wouldn't fight.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Well, tag cloud becoming a graffiti wall means that the tag cloud will have "lol" "fag" etc etc, in time, which gives it the appearance of a kindergarten game forum.
OH! I'm so sorry.. you must be new here and haven't had time to look around yet! We should have welcomed you sooner!

Welcome to Pre-School Talk; where we teach you your A, B, C's - and to whine and moan every time you don't get your way!!!

You'll understand what I mean once you get a chance to read some of the message boards around here.. these kids - their on this new "tagging" kick.. it's a GREAT way to express yourself!!!!!

(for the record I voted humor tags OK but with a percentage.. as it's really the only one that also implies by nature that there is a limit to the amount of tags per post.)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
...it's really the only one that also implies by nature that there is a limit to the amount of tags per post.
There is a limit on the number of tags per thread. Not only that, but our beloved PR1.2 speculation thread has hit that limit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
There is a limit on the number of tags per thread. Not only that, but our beloved PR1.2 speculation thread has hit that limit.
Well I'll be! Learn something new every day! Shows you how much I actually tag anything lol.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I was wondering why I could still see the posts - I expected the thread to become tags only at some point. Then people could use posts to tag the conversation.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Tags
admin, moderation, tag, tag policy, this is ugly