Active Topics

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by kazzie View Post
It can sometimes be used for good: see www.homestarrunner.com for example.
Ironically, I can't see what you like about that site because I don't have flash

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Ironically, I can't see what you like about that site because I don't have flash
+1

(10 chars)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I tried it from a Windoze machine at work with Flash installed.
It shows this:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  19.7 KB

Personally, I would not call it a "good use of Flash". It adds nothing of value and excludes the users without Flash.
My take on websites like that is, "you don't want me, I don't want you."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
All of the cartoons and games on that site are Flash-based. It really has nothing for you if you don't have Flash, but then it dates from a time when everyone had it.

It's really worth watching some. The earlier cartoons aren't so good, but they did some really funny material later on especially the sbemails and derived games like Trogdor and Ye Adventurer. Classic. I think the brothers that did it work on some top notch Cartoon Network stuff now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by abranson View Post
All of the cartoons and games on that site are Flash-based. It really has nothing for you if you don't have Flash
A good point. I did not go beyond the splash screen. I could say that the "come on in" option misled me into thinking there was something beyond without the need for Flash but in all fairness, it did not promise anything of that sort.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
You don't need flash.. but what do you really need? Food, water, oxygen and the rest is optional. I use Flash mainly for watching live streaming sites on my desktop that provide soccer matches. Granted, those sites are a bit dodgy but there are no other free non-flash solutions.
I will always prefer a non-flash alternative but have no problem using it if there is stuff I like.
Anyone that has doubts about flash security can download a Puppy Linux iso - create a bootable CD or USB. Make sure it will not mount your drives and start it fully in memory. Worst thing that can happen is a reboot. (and if you are really paranoid start it in a VM)

I will not install any version on my N900 though. That just seems like looking for trouble.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update