Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Maybe in every subforum we should make something like "INDEX" thread, that would be sticky and add there most popular threads, because people never stop posting same threads and it would be easier for them to find the one they want. Also it would be nice to make taboo on update threads and only moderators can open ONE thread for each update (PR1.2/1.3 and so on i hope)

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Please consider to contribute to brainstorm if you have any ideas

http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47

You are moaning and that is ok but please dont start spamming the forums with it. Here aren't many moderators active and the noise is high. Feel free to report posts and threads you think are just noise useless and so on...

merged 1 post from 'some forum improvement ?'

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Maybe in every subforum we should make something like "INDEX" thread, that would be sticky and add there most popular threads, because people never stop posting same threads and it would be easier for them to find the one they want. Also it would be nice to make taboo on update threads and only moderators can open ONE thread for each update (PR1.2/1.3 and so on i hope)
In addition to what chemist said... the most popular threads by virtue of that alone tend to be on top. So an index is unnecessary. Unless you mean most valuable threads, and that can get subjective enough to spawn argument threads-- which ironically bury the useful threads and stay at the top due to popularity.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
In addition to what chemist said... the most popular threads by virtue of that alone tend to be on top. So an index is unnecessary. Unless you mean most valuable threads, and that can get subjective enough to spawn argument threads-- which ironically bury the useful threads and stay at the top due to popularity.
I don't think there is an example at hand of a most valuable thread thread spawning a lot of argument threads, since there isn't a most valuable thread thread that I know of.

I think that a most valuable thread thread (or index) would be valuable, especially if aggressively moderated by some particularly respected person in the community -- Qole or Texrat come to mind.If it spawned too many arguments it could simply be excluded from the popular thread list by rule.

I really doubt that there would be an outpouring of people who thought that the PR 1.2 thread was one of the most valuable.

I think it would be really useful to see the "most thanked" posts of the day. Every once in a while, someone says something genuinely important or useful & these tend to get lots of "thanks". It's a shame that these can get lost in the noise.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't think there is an example at hand of a most valuable thread thread spawning a lot of argument threads, since there isn't a most valuable thread thread that I know of.
See "subjectivity".

Frustration over N900 noise lead to a discussion of a new forum in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44479&page=17

From my perspective, I have tried Reggie's trick of subscribing to subforums. This allows me to see new posts in forums I care about. Then I subscribe to threads I care about. This works great for the N810 and OS2008 forums. However, with other forums the N900 content is still too much. For example, "Applications" has very heavy N900 content.

There is also an app purported to be very useful called "AppWatch", but it takes up a lot of space and so may be off-limits to those who haven't cloned their OS.

So I humbly suggest that, while the current solutions are very helpful, they are not enough.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
When threads are merged it ends mostly in a unreadable confusion.
I would suggest to add a "merged" mark to all by the admin added posts to a tread. (so you can see this specific post was initially posted somewhere else)

Tags
forum, rules, threads