Active Topics

i am waiting for this event ( PR1.3 & MeeGo ). If everything goes well, then will keep the n900 otherwise, will exchange it with HTC Desire HD & by the time comes for N9 to be released, i will get one.

Tnx

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Catorize and ApMeFo both expose a bug in hildon causing drain.

Python widgets cause a leak that causes heavy swapping in about 48 hours. This is also manifested as high CPU usage when unlocking phone. User tests in bugzilla suggest it also happens with no widgets, only slower.

I reboot every 48 hours. It's not unusable, but noticeably slower than after reboot and has noticeable delays due to swapping.

IIRC, not even 1.3 will fix this.
I thought the hildon-desktop folder bug (that Categorize and ApmeFo have) was fixed in PR 1.3 already. But not the python widgets.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
By watching this bug I'd say you were right. Why I was watching another bug I can't tell. Why I can't find it I can't tell either.

No matter. I'll gladly be wrong for a fix.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by jocefus View Post
to all of you complaining about device hangs, it was issues with hildon-home/hildon-desktop hogging cpu/mem and battery on my device. these are two different issues and there are plenty of posts about them on this forum. I traced the sources on my device through process of elimination to a couple of widgets I had installed.

custom operator name caused hildon-home to peg cpu/batt at regular intervals (every 5-6s) and hog memory causing device hangs. according to threads others have had this issue with other python widgets as well.

removing catorize remedied hildon-desktop issue, but reading threads revealed bug in hildon-desktop which can be fixed, I just dont use catorize. I rarely venture from the four customizable desktops and they are full of select widgets and shortcuts (even facebook).

uptime: 39d 14hr
avg batt life: 3d
and NO sytem hangs here.

*disclaimer*
I'm no coder, I just know how to search, learn, and troubleshoot. linux os and open source community makes that easy. in my opinion this device is not for your average windows user. linux assumes the user knows what he/she is doing and this is obviousy not always true.

Have you submitted bug reports on these?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Have you submitted bug reports on these?
They are known and have been submitted a while back.

One was even fixed and there is a workaround. The bug caused by Catorize only manifests if there are less items than there is space (thus no scrolling). Menu is bugged if no scroll (rubber banding loop). One can use ApMeFo to create folders and leave a few items out so it would scroll. Workaround works (as the name suggests).

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:

Tags
early start, firmware, fremantle, future, jump the gun, maemo, maemo 5, myth continued, not again, pr 1.3, pr1.3, product release, some1 shoot him, speculation, update, wait, wait for pr1.4, waiting, waiting more