Active Topics

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
I dont think they should stop hardware changes. Technology is always improving and new hardware upgrades are necessary. If N900 had the specs of the N800 would it ever be as popular? I doubt it...iphone has hardware changes too but its mainly built the same, making upgrades possible, Nokia cannot do this because they have different types of phones, not just 1 like the iphone. Android phones are also basically the same. Nokia has business phones, media phones, and internet-centric phones, and basic dumb-phones. they cant all have the same software because they're entirely different devices with different purposes.

Also, the n900 was somewhat of a test-run for Nokia to get feedback and things, so i dont think it will have a long life, or future support. i think they're maemo 6 devices which will be more refined will have more support for updates and things.
Yes, Nokia has different products.
Most of them are using Symbian OS.
Different generation models use different version Symbian OS.
It is OK till now.

But I think Nokia should not use this rule on Internet Tablet Series product (N900).

Because the competitors do not do this.

The Following User Says Thank You to lanwellon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London UK
Not too sure what your on about here, the apple new OS or "update" was simply some additional bits of the same OS, copy paste etc. I have had the same update scenario on the Maemo on my n900 with the new version being installed. Its entirely upgradable as much as iPhone is.

Originally Posted by crsnwby View Post
Not too sure what your on about here, the apple new OS or "update" was simply some additional bits of the same OS, copy paste etc. I have had the same update scenario on the Maemo on my n900 with the new version being installed. Its entirely upgradable as much as iPhone is.
I mean iPhone can upgrade from OS 1.0 to 2.0, then to 3.0.

But for Nokia Internet Tablet devices,
N810 cannot upgrade from OS2008 to Maemo 5.
And it seems that N900 cannot upgrade from Maemo 5 to Maemo 6.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post

t-mobile g1 cannot upgrade from android 1.6 to 2.1

pentium3 perhaps cannot run windows vista properly

point is as time passes OS requirements for hardware change as it adds more functionaility.
i think this is only natural.
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London UK

iPhone cant run Max OSX or windows or linux, n900 can.

I think its a LOT more upgradable than any other phone.

Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
t-mobile g1 cannot upgrade from android 1.6 to 2.1

pentium3 perhaps cannot run windows vista properly

point is as time passes OS requirements for hardware change as it adds more functionaility.
i think this is only natural.
I think just as sxc said here :

Other vendors typically support their hardware with the latest version of their OS for at least 18 month after their introduction.

So, the G2 or G3 phone can upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1.
iPhone can upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0, then 3.0.

But N810 or N900 do not have such a chance.

It will be acceptable if N810 can upgrade to Maemo 5
or N900 can upgrade to Maemo 6.

Last edited by lanwellon; 2010-02-13 at 11:33.

Originally Posted by crsnwby View Post
iPhone cant run Max OSX or windows or linux, n900 can.

I think its a LOT more upgradable than any other phone.
N900 has a ARM CPU, but MAC OS X and Windows are based on i386 (x86&x64) architecture.

So N900 use a emulator to run MAC OS X and Windows.

It is very very slow and not practical.

waiting for upgradable ARM handheld wifi device.

N810 have good screen size and keyboard. hope open source Mer can be completed soon and run on it.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
All the worry about if and when the N900 will get Maemo 6 is really a non-issue. And comparisons to other OS upgradeablity are out of whack with reality.

Both iPhone and Android phone can upgrade their OS.
(iPhone can upgrade from OS 1.0 to 2.0, then to 3.0
Android can upgrade OS version from 1.5 to 2.1)
The iPhone can - so far. At some point - likely very soon - that must change as newer versions of OS-X become unusable on older hardware. For instance, the original iPhone can't run 3G due to hardware limitations. The iPhone OS upgrade train will inevitably come off the tracks.

As for Android, already some phones running Android 1x are unable to upgrade to Android 2x. And OS updates that have been released are causing many apps to break. Compatibility issues with apps on various versions of Android has become a serious headache for developers.

But N900 cannot.
You're making assumptions. That has not yet been determined.

But it seems that NOKIA's "rule" is to make the mobile phone and OS a bundle.
There is no such 'rule'.

So I am wondering whether NOKIA could provide a CD image or some thing like that to let the end user install the OS by ourselves, just like what Apple does.
That may be a possibility.

But regardless of whether or not the N900 ever gets Maemo 6, it will have little impact on the value or useability of the N900. From a post I made in another thread:

"Maemo 6 apps will be QT-based. But QT 4.6 is ported to Maemo 5, so most (if not all) Maemo 6 apps will run on Maemo 5. So Nokia's plan is...the N900/Maemo 5 will continue to be able to run new, cool stuff for a long time, even if it never gets the 5-to-6 upgrade.

Nokia (qgil, actually) has already publicly stated - here in this very forum - that right now, Nokia has more than just bugfixes already in the works for Maemo 5 and the N900. Speculate all you want as to what those improvements might be and when they will be implemented. But the point is that more is definitely on the way for the N900. It has not and will not be abandoned anytime soon by Nokia.

Now, given all that, where's the problem?"
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-02-13 at 12:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
By what I've heard from another thread "Qgil" said that it is may be possible that Maemo 6 might become available for N900 or N900 might be able to upgrade, he and his team is working hard on bringing the technology to people, but he cannot say more than that. Because it is classified information. But it is not yet official by Nokia. He adds that Nokia keeping some surprise for the N900 owners later end of this year. The surprise would be maemo6 upgrade. But don't take my word for it.

Tags
android, apple, firmware, fremantle, harmattan, iphone, maemo, maemo 5, maemo 6, n900, nokia should think, operating system, update, upgrade, versus