Notices

liked ur app
just voted!

Just installed 0.12.6 and it's not working.
/opr/modrana was set 754, as were other directories.
chmod -R 755 /opt/modrana got it running, and no doubt broke some features.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by droll View Post
btw, is this supposed to work with the built-in GPS because i can't get a fix on my location. it keeps defaulting to some place in europe..
Yes, the N900 build in GPS is supported through the standard method (liblocation), so it should work. You can check a few things:
  • is the GPS turned on ?
  • are you running modRana the right way ?
    • modRana needs to know that it is running on a N900 to turn on the liblocation support
    • this is taken care of by this script: /usr/bin/modrana (this is what you run, when you type "modrana" to the command line)
  • was there installation flawless (no error messages during install)?

Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
this may be wierd, but after

after trying to open it 6 times with crashes, i have typed this feed for you.
Well, I can say thats really pretty weird. Well, there are a few more things you can try:
  • make sure you are root when installing/removing/purging modrana from the command line
  • purge modrana
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge modrana
    this should completely remove modrana from your system
  • after purging try to reinstall with the app mamanger
  • if this fails, purge again and try to install from the command line
    Code:
    apt-get install modrana
    this really should not install cloudgps
  • if launching modrana using the desktop icon fails, try tu run it from the command line (as a user) by typing:
    Code:
    modrana
  • if you get some (copypastable) errors, when running or installing, please PM them to me

Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
liked ur app
just voted!
Thanks !

Originally Posted by akurtz View Post
Just installed 0.12.6 and it's not working.
/opr/modrana was set 754, as were other directories.
chmod -R 755 /opt/modrana got it running, and no doubt broke some features.
Well, it can run even with 777, it doesn't break anything in the app.
But following the standard packaging practices, only what needs to be writable should be writable and so on. Therefore I set the permissions for the code to be read only and configs/tracklogs/cache/etc to be writable. So either I set wrong permissions somewhere or the installation failed during the postinst script, which is when the permissions are set.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
i agree with akurtz... when running as user the first step is a cd to /opt/modrana. user needs the x bit for that cd to be successful. chmod'ing /opt/modrana is exactly the correct solution.

EDIT: My orignal post may be slightly ambiguous. /opt/modrana needs 775 permissions, but in case it's unclear, all of the subdirectories under that path also will need this same change.

Last edited by zvogt; 2010-07-28 at 02:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to zvogt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zvogt View Post
i agree with akurtz... when running as user the first step is a cd to /opt/modrana. user needs the x bit for that cd to be successful. chmod'ing /opt/modrana is exactly the correct solution.

EDIT: My orignal post may be slightly ambiguous. /opt/modrana needs 775 permissions, but in case it's unclear, all of the subdirectories under that path also will need this same change.
Damn, that would be it ! I just totally forgot about the folder entry permissions. Thanks a lot for noticing!

I just pushed a new build (0.12-8), where this is added to the postinst script:
Code:
find /opt/modrana -type d -exec chmod o+x {} \;

Last edited by MartinK; 2010-07-28 at 02:42. Reason: change styling

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
I could be wrong but i *think* you need a space between "-" and "exec" in that command. EDIT: I'm an idiot; I don't know why I thought that.

Also, the image that's being used for the desktop shortcut looks like it's much larger than the button size, and it's getting trimmed rather than scaled.

Last edited by zvogt; 2010-07-28 at 03:06.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
root
apt-get install modrana

it installed cloudgps
Probably a bit late now. But since you used the command line you would have a running commentary on what was being done. So what did apt-get really fetch and install?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I just pushed a new build (0.12-8), where this is added to the postinst script:
Code:
find /opt/modrana -type d -exec chmod o+x {} \;
Unfortunately the version of find on stock N900 is even more cut down than the usual busybox one and doesn't support the -exec option. Here's what works:

Code:
find /opt/modrana -type d | xargs chmod o+x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Nice looking app! Definitely with a future in store for it, but...
1. New yesterday's update crashes on the icon start (only x-term)
2. Routing poin2point and all others, in fact, don't work but freeze and make the app unresponsive (might be my distant away-from-routable area location is in blame, but why freeze?).
3. "Log track" button....and you get a blank screen forever. Have to terminate the app, because it's the only way out.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Tried to upload route to OSM; OSM said:
Found no good GPX points in the input data.
The log is fine, I can see it in modrana program. But something is wrong with its format.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/G...ad_properly.3F

First, it has a lot of 'ns0' inside it. Second, it doesn't have <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>. Third, it misses timestamps in points.

It was an old version of modrana (when the options weren't saved at all). Later I will try to install the newest version.

Request feature: when logging is on, show new log in green colour as it is recorded so that it is easier to see that it is recorded.

And allow zooming out and seeing the whole world on one screen. It seems it cannot have zoom lower than eight now?

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps