Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I've just added activesync and nokiamessaging to the list with no observable negative effect (assuming you do not use those services, that is ), although I did have to reboot once since removing the AS status bar plugin messed up the system menu until after a reboot.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
ezitext* can go if you don't use the predictive text.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
removing osso-systemui-splashscreen causes N900 to reboot instead of shutting down.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
removing osso-systemui-splashscreen causes N900 to reboot instead of shutting down.
No it does not. I do not have it and I can shut down just fine.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
It should not happen. That "splashscreen" is what you see when you poweroff the N900 (it also makes a sound, depending on the settings).

But generally I would not remove to remove that package, until we understand exactly what it does (it may affect actdead mode as well).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I've just added activesync and nokiamessaging to the list with no observable negative effect (assuming you do not use those services, that is ), although I did have to reboot once since removing the AS status bar plugin messed up the system menu until after a reboot.
Be careful, removing one of those sync daemons may kill your ability to use nokia suite!

I volunteer as a guinea pig I have removed osso-systemui-splashscreen and the only effect that I have noticed so far is that my N900 shuts down faster. If reinob's suspicion is right and it does something useful as a side effect then I guess I will find out sooner or later

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
I volunteer as a guinea pig I have removed osso-systemui-splashscreen and the only effect that I have noticed so far is that my N900 shuts down faster. If reinob's suspicion is right and it does something useful as a side effect then I guess I will find out sooner or later
to check if it does some magic with going to actdead state, you can try this simple test:
1. set an alarm for next 5 minutes
2. power off your n900 after, let's say, 4 minutes
3. wait and check if the alarm rings
if it doesn't ring then something messed up (maybe after removing osso-systemui-splashscreen).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Nah. I guess I was being too careful. When shutting down (when dbus is stopped in either USER or ACTDEAD mode), the splashscreen-util is run, which basically (as far as I can tell) makes that "dong" sound and waits to be killed.

The package also includes a module for MCE, which (I guess) makes it run when you poweroff from the MCE menu (the script in /etc/event.replace.d/ only runs the splashscreen-util if not already running, which makes me think that MCE runs it -- normally -- by itself when shutting down.)

I'll remove it from my "normal" N900 (the other two don't have it).

Last edited by reinob; 2012-11-19 at 20:47. Reason: s/thing/think

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
I am happy to report that misiak's experiment was successful (the alarm fired) and that, despite vi_'s warning my Nokia Suite was still working. (Thanks for the warning BTW, I would not have tried otherwise as I never use it.)

What is not working so well is eggtimer. It triggered but now refuses to shut up, even after booting to console in bootmenu and deleting the eggtimer binary manually. I doubt it is related though. It may never have worked: this is the first time ever I have actually let it trigger.