Posts: 61 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Lancaster
Hello,

Here is my submission for Maemo Coding Competition 1. I run out of time to create a debian package and submit it to the testing repository. I hope this does not throw me out of the race.

Application name: Metre App (Name Changed From Ruler App)
Extra libraries needed: openCV (apt-get install libcv4 libcvaux4 libhighgui4)
Binary: Metre App (Archive RulerApp)
Debian Package Now Available: metre_0.0.1-1_armel.deb
Developed By: Klen Copic Pucihar

Description:
The Ruler App enables users to measure object dimension up to 1m long. The objects are measured by defining the scale of the captured image. The scale can be defined if the distance to the object from which the image was taken is known. The application estimates the object distance by focusing on an the object. As this method works only at close-up distances, the user needs to calibrate the image with a simple two step procedure described bellow. After the scale is defined the user can start measuring. The user can then save the image with the latest measurement and the scale indicator to phone gallery.

Note: The accuracy of the measurement is heavily dependent on the accuracy of the distance estimation which is influenced by the light conditions. The measurement error should range between 10 and 20 percent.

PROCEDURE:

Step 1: Move close to the object (7-20 cm) and press “CALIBRATE”. Two features will be automatically initialized and can be seen on the screenshot bellow as red dots.

Step 2: To measure the object make sure it fits onto the screen and press "CAPTURE". Make sure all the movements are slow as tracking of two red features might fail and you will need to start again.

Step 3: To measure drag your finger on the screen from point A to B. In order to save the image into your phone gallery press “SAVE”. To gain access to setting or quit application, exit full-screen.
Attached Images

Last edited by klen; 2010-07-25 at 19:34.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to klen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
Very interesting app indeed. I do hope you will still upload it to the repo's regardless of the competition.

I have just created a debian package. You can downloade it from
metre_0.0.1-1_armel.deb

I have changed the name of the app to Metre. The deb package is called metre_0.0.1-1_armel.deb.

It will be uploaded to extras-dev repo later on today.

Last edited by klen; 2010-07-23 at 20:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by klen View Post
It will be uploaded to extras-dev repo later on today.
Thanks dude!

If it's your first time and you need some help have a look at one of the easiest ways to upload to extra devel:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/python2.5-py2deb/

And don't forget to fix the bucktracker issue:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Py2deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Thanks dude!

If it's your first time and you need some help have a look at one of the easiest ways to upload to extra devel:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/python2.5-py2deb/
Tanks for trying to help.

I am now waiting to gain rights for uploading to extras-dev. I already made a deb package and it is not a python app so i guess it can't help me a lot.
Klen

Last edited by klen; 2010-07-23 at 20:57.

Hi Klen, welcome to the comp! Certainly having a .deb won't get you thrown out, we just have to let people know it's not on the repsitory and where to get it

You were registered on the wiki in plenty good time, as yet I didnt get any pm from you with further details to put on the voting thread. Most of the details are actually here on this thread and I can get them from here, but ofcourse you might well be better off choosing what you want written rather than me taking it for you

It says now on the wiki, above the participants table you filled in, that a good general outline to send me is:

*App name:
*Author:
*Brief description:
*Screenshot(s):
*Features/work to be judged:
*Package name and where to find the app/repository:
*Maemo.org thread or garage thread (if exists)

If you'd like to send me those details in a PM I'll be sure to use them when creating the voting thread. Im expecting the voting thread for System&Utilities to be created tonight or tomorrow.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
I have to give this a try. A very interesting approach to the problem.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Errors were encountered while processing:
account-plugin-salut
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

want to test app but recieve above error

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by knopow View Post
Errors were encountered while processing:
account-plugin-salut
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

want to test app but recieve above error
Well, that error has absolutely nothing to do with this application. It's one that's come up a few times before - I think the post-install script is broken or something. Anyway, use the Power Search on the right and you should find the relevant thread(s).

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by klen View Post
I already made a deb package and it is not a python app so i guess it can't help me a lot.
The name is totally confusing, I know. It's a python script you can use to create maemo autobuilder compatible files (you need more than only a deb file). It doesn't matter what kind of app you wan't to package using this script.

But good to hear you're working on it. I will give your app a try... in my imagination I have only to have a 6cm ruler with me to calibrate and then zoom out to measure a whole room.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, metre