Thanks JMills!

Holy crap, it works! Forgive my linux ignorance, but does this mean there actually is a driver, or is this built-in demo a low-level hack?

How did you discover this?

John

Originally Posted by bigboote
Holy crap, it works! Forgive my linux ignorance, but does this mean there actually is a driver, or is this built-in demo a low-level hack?
Well... "sorta". :-)

Basically, what you're doing there is you're talking to the audio hardware directly, and telling it to flip a transistor-level switch to:

1) Enable the microphone input

...then another to:

2) Patch the microphone input directly to the speaker output

...then set some transistor-level variables to:

3) Increase the input gain
4) Increase the output gain (volume)

Originally Posted by bigboote
How did you discover this?
'cause I'm a nosy snot and spend my normal working hours looking at things we can do with -our- hardware platform (I work for VMware, Inc.)... so it was not unexpected that I'd spend some time nosing around the ProcFS and SysFS structures looking for as-yet undocumented things on the N770 as well. :-)

Rockin. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
An exploded(opened Nokia 770 ) image was posted at www.nokia770.com/forum.
It shows a Microphone within the Nokia 770. Whether it is still there in the final release of Nokia 770 is unknown.

Last edited by Arjun; 2006-01-30 at 22:24.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
I do knot know if this link will work.
But here it is anyway. This picture in the link shows that there is indeed an internal Microphone within the Nokia 770 IT.

img=http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2940/770explodedview1xh.th.png

Or try the following Link. Scroll towards the bottom and u will finda reply by " Ze3Sl@k "

http://nokia770.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28

Last edited by Arjun; 2006-02-03 at 16:59.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by JMills
From a shell prompt (i.e., inside `xterm` on the N770)
sudo gainroot
cd /sys/devices/platform/audio-i2c/
echo 1 > mic_enable
echo 1 > mic_loopback
echo 100 > gain_left
echo 100 > gain_right
echo 90 > volume_left
echo 90 > volume_right
Is is complicated to have the mic output piped into a file? If not, then instant voice recorder.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Cumberland Center, Maine, USA
Originally Posted by Odin
Is is complicated to have the mic output piped into a file? If not, then instant voice recorder.
Now that would be pretty cool. I think it'd be rather amazingly complex, though. But, with the new update, the increased built in features to support the VOIP might present a work around...