Active Topics

can you do set-up the MMC card from a computer running windows ,

it seems to be that you need Linux, which I do not have...

thabks

Beaulieu

Originally Posted by aflegg
Indeed. It's also possible to get a working 770 by removing the MMC card: the unions just won't be mounted when you boot and you won't have dangling symlinks instead.
Good point.

Effectively you can mount the unions at any time, but the setup script includes an /etc/rc2.d script to mount them at boot, if the MMC card is present.
I'm afraid I still don't get the detail of this. I assume that when the 770 boots, the root filesystem is mounted as ext3 (or similar) on /. Then later, what we want is for the union as a whole to be mounted on /, and the old root filesystem to be one of the constituents of the union. So I'm curious about exactly how this is achieved, because my guess is that "mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/ unionfs /" would not work (because of recursion).

So, in my /home/user I have both the Ice Age 2 trailer which is in /home/user in the internal flash; and "Rise of the Cybermen" ...
Really? And I'm using your preset encoder to watch series 1 again on the tube.

Regards - Neil

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by beaulieu

Yes, you do - on the 770 itself. After faffing around with Mac OS X and VMware and Ubuntu through a dodgy card reader, I settled on using cfdisk on the 770 itself: job was done in 5 minutes :-)

Originally Posted by neiljerram
I'm afraid I still don't get the detail of this. I assume that when the 770 boots, the root filesystem is mounted as ext3 (or similar) on /. Then later, what we want is for the union as a whole to be mounted on /, and the old root filesystem to be one of the constituents of the union. So I'm curious about exactly how this is achieved, because my guess is that "mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/ unionfs /" would not work (because of recursion).
You only define unions for locations you want, so I have unions for:
  1. /home/user
  2. /var/lib/install
  3. /var/lib/gconf
  4. /usr/share/themes
  5. /etc/others-menu

As you say, unionising / itself could lead to interesting effects (but I assume unionfs would not recurse into itself).

[Doctor Who]Really? And I'm using your preset encoder to watch series 1 again on the tube :-)
Cool. I thought Christopher Ecclestone was great, but David Tennant's even better, IMHO...

What line? I've not yet seen another 770 when I'm on the tube, so I'll keep an eye out ;-)

Cheers,

Andrew

Originally Posted by beaulieu

thabks

Beaulieu
You dont necessarily need to have linux installed - I run a windows pc with virtual machine player (www.vmware.com/products/player/) . All I did was download a linux virtual appliance from the same site and I was able o follow the instructions for becoming root etc. You can also run Ubuntu or some other 'live cd'.

and as Andrew said - you can use 'cfdisk' from xterm on the 770 itself which is probably the quickest and most sensible solution.

Originally Posted by neiljerram
my guess is that "mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/ unionfs /" would not work (because of recursion).
It wouldn't recurse (the unions are built from what exists at mount time, not from what results from it), but you'd run into problems like with files being already open and becoming shadowed by the mount (to name one of the problems). While the running app would still read and write from/to the old location, all later opens would access the new one.

This could be solved by mounting at a very early stage (as Knoppix does). However, especially with software updates from Nokia, this could cause more grief than what you'd gain from it, so I (I'm the one who wrote it) decided to suggest using it for subtrees of the root FS only.