Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post

I say stock is just fine. Stock does everything just fine. Although overclocking can be fun (for a day or two) there is no real gain.
My recent experience is to the contrary: having re-flashed back to standard for a day with no apps, no swappolube, no overclock and no CSSU I found the device uninspiring, laggy and somewhat restricted for all but the simplest of tasks. Strangely enough, I did begin to appreciate the build spec & quality once again.

I soon began craving functionality and features found in basic Symbian S60 devices, nevermind Android or iOS UI goodness.

Restoring all my apps and performance tweeks also restored my conviction that N900 is still one of the most accomplished, powerful and under-exploited devices available.

A day as 'standard' is about all I could take!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Same here, I have only ever seen one guy with a N900. I went over and asked him how he was finding it... It was stock, he looked at me a bit odd, 'it's just a phone', I finished my pint, and left lol

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duffer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
omg! f*ck normality! we should all put mobile OS hacking on the top of our life priorities!
Thats what I do. Modding and twaeking my phone for atleast 1-3 hours a day. My life is a sad one in some eyes. Work-gym-modding my N900. /repeat. But thats what makes me happeh

And I have never met another N900 user. Everyone here use Iphones and have no idea what Linux is. they know Windows and iOS. wich in my eyes is really sad. 2011 helloo?
My best mate owns an Iphone 4, and when he is "bragging" about it I feel like putting a gun to my head. Everything he can do I can do better.

------------------------------------------
Alienware M15X
Razer Naga/Lycosa/Charcarias
Win7 - Ubuntu 10.10

Did I help you ? Then thank me ! --->

The Following User Says Thank You to futtawuh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
Same here, I have only ever seen one guy with a N900. I went over and asked him how he was finding it... It was stock, he looked at me a bit odd, 'it's just a phone', I finished my pint, and left lol
Then I am happy I never met another n900 user, I would have cry a whole week if that happened to me

I met people on both sides of the coin. One was happily modding his to bits just like me, the other was a teenager using it soley as a texting phone.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by jahknowledgelife View Post
Please just point me in the direction of the best book to start with for the basics. I am total lost but am willing to learn.
P.S. I know the advanced users hate step for step basics explaining I just need a foothold.
Thanks
PSST! I have a secret! The N900 Bible is hidden on this site! It's called the Wiki and is well worth browsing over and over. There is also a section called Terminal that will give you a foothold on that foothold you're looking for.

wiki.maemo.org

As for books, you need to find ones that specifically suit you. I wouldn't focus on books that specialize in Debian -- just Linux will do. It might be worthwhile to mosey on down to a bookstore (while they still exist) and see what Linux books tickle your fancy. A lot of people started with Running Linux.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
Well out of the stock this little baby still has the most outstanding browser out on the market (if they'll be able to put it on meego with some 1.2-1.5 GHz dual core and Flash 10.2 I'm sold ).... but which seems not to be enough to be a best seller...most people don't seem to need this kind of mobile internet...

Trying everything that OP mentioned ? Well that's another story...and if any N900 buyer would have some time to spend he should definitely do it....why? ...errr...just for the fun and the talent of this baby called N900, he will appreciate it.....even if I still think ridiculous to use some gimp or open office in easy debian in everyday stuff... But doing it and trying it ?? Definitely YES!

Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Note for any terminal noobs: Typing "rm -rf /" as root (first post) will delete everything, including the OS. If you're wondering whether to try it, don't.
smsl lol brilliant lol I've never met another n900 user either. on this site i've seen about 4/5 members in the UK

Last edited by corduroysack; 2011-03-15 at 20:47.

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Can we start funding a project for 3G video call?
I do Skype video calls over 3G all the time. Does that not qualify?

Originally Posted by park View Post
I do Skype video calls over 3G all the time. Does that not qualify?
No. In my country, not much people using Skype, let alone for video call (most of them using it for IM only, on non webcamed computer). While 3G video call enabled phone users are everywhere

Tags
awesome, modding