Active Topics

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Personally, this looks completely baseless to me:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10498.html
I think the article is nothing but unfounded speculation. However, I'm passing the link on for your information.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they indicate the browser on the N900 is Fennec, and it isn't, right? We're still getting a souped up version of Micro-b, now dubbed Maemo Browser but Fennec honing and perfecting is still in the labs (I don't know if the Beta which runs on the N8xx works on Maemo 5, so it may be a downloadable option)

I see their point, as most will agree that AT&T's subscriber numbers are currenty pumped up by iPhone users. Many of the early adopters are certainly on the tail end of their 2-year commitment right now. I don't know if AT&T would be worried that offering an N900 would disuad customers from getting an iPhone and a pricier data plan, but I think they recently implemented something regarding PDAs/smartphones requiring a PDA data plan. It may just be a matter of time before those using the $15 Media Net Unlimited and tethering are forced pay double for data if they switch to an N900 on the AT&T network. I suppose if they don't offer the N900 and thus may not have IMEI details which would normally red flag in their system to bump the subscriber to a higher-priced PDA plan, they may not notice.

I think the current mass lemming-natured iPhone owners would remain on their iPhone rather than switch platforms, despite the obvious areas of superiority the N900 has over the iPhone. (not so obvious to lemmings). They're comfortable, content, and have very likely invested in other Red Fruit products since acquiring their iPhone and won't care to throw out some of that investment.

Who knows what was signed by Nokia and T-mobile, nobody appears willing or able to tell us. (exclusivity or ?) The numbers speak for themselves- having an AT&T compatible 3G N900 would bolster sales of that device, subsidized or not. I personally don't care to drop AT&T in favor of the #4 carrier in our country. If all I did was voice it probably wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Perhaps Maemo community apprehension will keep N900 sales down initially and force Nokia's hand to partner with AT&T, if they haven't done so already.(yes I know, our numbers are small, relatively speaking)