Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I installed Jaffa's Horizon in a Maemo 5 unit with accelerometer and it does show something green like a field of grass and something blue like a sky. It moves as you move the device.

The vertical axis seems to work well: pointing the device up/down/middle shows an horizon as expected. I'd say it misses some callibration based on the result when putting the device on the wall but maybe that's not even the app's fault.

But there is something wrong with the rest: when putting the device in portrait mode the horizon is just upside down. This means that your "spirit level" is mostly unbalanced all the time. Wrong math? Psychological terrorism?

By the way, there is already an application called Horizon and it was even ported to Maemo in the past.
Attached Images

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
that looks cool qgil,

does the bug imply jaffa has been watching indt too closely

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I'd say it misses some callibration based on the result when putting the device on the wall but maybe that's not even the app's fault.
I'd say calibration belongs into some framework/config plugin/whatever, but not in every single application.

Also, if you like accelerometers, get yourself a wii motion+. That's what i call precise inertial sensorics. My tilt dongle is stone age technology compared to that and so are all the cell phone things. The wii sensors reference coordinates are rock solid over several minutes of constant movent at all six degrees of freedom which is pretty cool for his kind of technology.

Is this really just a bug report on Horizon, or is Quim trying to tell us something about "Maemo5 hardware" ? :-)

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Is this really just a bug report on Horizon, or is Quim trying to tell us something about "Maemo5 hardware" ? :-)
Or about software like the nice blue theme he's using?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
By the way, there is already an application called Horizon and it was even ported to Maemo in the past.
Yep, I had forgot it. It's not bad as a scratchpad. Deserves some more love... would be fun in the new device, I bet. Quim why don't you test it also, if it can run on Fremantle?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, only thing missing now is a flying suit

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Not having hardware to test on is a bit of a *****, so I've gone off the wiki page - and, more particularly on the raw values it says are returned.

Does it rotate the correct way as you move the device and "flip" when you stand the device on its side? Or is it just rotating the wrong way all the way round?

On calibration, I was thinking about storing the values returned when a "Calibration" menu option is selected, and subtracting them from the current values (use case would be to take into account any non-vertical mounting in your vehicle). But I'm unsure how well that'd work from the maths point-of-view. However, danielwilms mentioned it was reporting -4 deg on his table, so there may need to be some system-level calibration of the accelerometers as well.

I was aware of the other app called "Horizon" but a) it's unmaintained (AFAICT); b) not in Extras. Suggestions for other names for my Horizon welcome :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Hmm, looks interesting. Might have to try changing the controller input to read from the wii remote.

Jaffa, now all you need to do is sort out the landscape rendering and flight model, I'm happy with subsonic and <60k', but if you can manage the whole hypersonic regime that would be cool

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Hmm, looks interesting. Might have to try changing the controller input to read from the wii remote.
Should be straightforward. Create a new provider class:

https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...er&view=markup

Then change the bottom of main.py to use in preference.

now all you need to do is sort out the landscape rendering and flight model, I'm happy with subsonic and <60k', but if you can manage the whole hypersonic regime that would be cool
Some indication of speed based on the GPS would be cool. Maybe as well as being a utility, a fork can evolve into a 3D version of CubeRunner.

Tags
accelerometer, fremantle