Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Today when I tried the Wifi Hotspot with my laptop, I got forwarded to the T-Mobile web site telling me to sign up for the Wifi hotspot service. Same result when I tried USB tethering with the laptop.

I use the hotspot or tethering a few times a week, so I think this is something new T-Mobile US has put in. I thought they asked the user to sign up only if they're using Android ICS, seems now they're moving to other platforms.

Anyone has seen this also? and know any workaround?

The block seems only on web only, using user-agent likely, as I can still use other data applications (also strangely enough some google sites still working, like search and image).

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2012 @ New Jersey, USA
Yes, Last week I was in Atlanta and was using my N9 as a Hotspot device to connect my laptop. It worked fine for 3 days and I guess from 20th Sept it stopped working.
It started showing the Contact Tmobile page..

No, it's the system detecting your regional options to comply with the FCC rules related to electromagnetic radiation, which are stricter in US than in Europe. You can bypass it by manually doing:

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/wl1271/allow_adhoc
As root, before trying to start the hotspot. It has nothing to do with T-Mobile specifically (except that it probably detects the country), and you don't need to pay them anything.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-25 at 03:44.

Will someone please explain where this "ad-hoc is now illegal" BS is coming from?!? I went straight to the horse's mouth at www.fcc.gov, and not only is there nothing there about it being prohibited, they actually talk about it like it's just another way to do wi-fi (which it is). As a ham radio operator, I have to know about exposure guidelines as well, and there is nothing about this WRT any sort of modulation or transmission modes.

As they say on Wikipedia, [citation needed].

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Well there was a statement released by Nokia early on that due to the exposure guidelines exceeding those set by the FCC marginally; ad-hoc had to be disabled on the n9...

Its not about ad-hoc being illegal just that a ad-hoc enabled n9 was exceeding the guidelines...

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
No, it's the system detecting your regional options to comply with the FCC rules related to electromagnetic radiation, which are stricter in US than in Europe. You can bypass it by manually doing:

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/wl1271/allow_adhoc
As root, before trying to start the hotspot. It has nothing to do with T-Mobile specifically (except that it probably detects the country), and you don't need to pay them anything.
It's definitely not that issue. I've been using the Spot On with the Wifi Hotspot on T-Mobile US very since the Spot On is available many months ago. It has working perfect until today.

As I've mentioned I could uses some data applications on the laptop, including SVN, but not going to most web sites using IE or Firefox on the laptop which will have the T-Mobile BS coming up.

The Android tablet (Asus Transformer), seems still works fine with N9 hotspot including the browser, email and Play Store, so the problem is only the web browser on laptop, to be specific Windows 7.

Last edited by mcdull; 2012-09-25 at 04:07.

If something is working, then obviously WiFi itself is working. You need to figure out why some ports work, and others don't.

Originally Posted by storkus View Post
Will someone please explain where this "ad-hoc is now illegal" BS is coming from?!? I went straight to the horse's mouth at www.fcc.gov, and not only is there nothing there about it being prohibited, they actually talk about it like it's just another way to do wi-fi (which it is). As a ham radio operator, I have to know about exposure guidelines as well, and there is nothing about this WRT any sort of modulation or transmission modes.

As they say on Wikipedia, [citation needed].
Specific Absorption Rate (SAR):

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/spec...lar-telephones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_absorption_rate

In short, EU sets acceptable SAR to <= 2 W / kg taken over 10 grams of tissue.
US sets it to <= 1.6 W / kg taken over 1 gram of tissue.

So N9 with ad-hoc WiFi must have fallen in between these two.

See: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Maem...1210195#M29219

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-25 at 05:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Interesting: so, in theory, this would seem to indicate that the measurement methodologies give different numbers, or simply that that 400 mW of power was enough to make it legal one place rather than the other. Again, though, I don't understand why ad-hoc mode vs infrastructure would make enough difference with SAR since it should be the same transmitter running the same 802.11x protocol (signalling/Layer-1/2 wise) . This is just so weird, and googling comes up empty for specific numbers or explanations.

P.S. I don't buy into the whole SAR business, anyway, but I readily admit I'm biased.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
No, it's the system detecting your regional options to comply with the FCC rules related to electromagnetic radiation, which are stricter in US than in Europe.
I could be wrong, but I doubt it is any thing to do with this.

Does your contract with your network operator allow you to tether?
They most likely do not, and so is the reason you are being redirected to a sign up page to pay extra for tethering support.

It takes time and resources for some network operators, like mine, to detect that you are tethering, once they have flagged you as potentially doing so they do more frequent checks on your internet activity.

Most commonly they check the browsers user agent, but the most effective way is by looking at the Time To Live (TTL) field of the packets; if you are tethering then this field will be +1 more than it should other wise be.

Try spoofing your desktop browsers user agent to that of the N9's stock browser, and by increasing the TTL as described here for Windows users, or for Linux/MAC simply, changing the value within this file: nano /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl to one greater, and then retry tethering.