Hi,

when I got my N800 some months ago, I played around a little bit and tried the device lock, too. Everything went fine. Since I didn't need to lock my device, I unlocked it again.

Now I locked the device by mistake, but I don't remember my PIN. Is there a way to reset/recover/disarm the pin without reflashing the whole device?

I enabled red pill mode, and OpenSSH server is installed. The "sudo gainroot" worked, too (locally). Although it is locked, the device still connects via WLAN. But SSHing into N800 as root with "rootme" as password doesn't work.

Some questions:

- what is the user name of the default non-root user on the N800?

- is there a default-passwort for this non-root user?

- what is the minimum length for PIN, can anyone check this? (I have a standard 4-digit PIN for such tests, but I remember that the PIN dialog forced me to enter a PIN with more than 4 digits, which is the reason I cannot remember my PIN :/ I think I have entered the smallest possible PIN. Knowing the length maybe helps me finding the PIN)

Thanks in advance!

P.S: the real problem is that the user isn't asked for his PIN when he _locks_ it. And there is not security question... I should wait for the next firmware release (Textrat? ;-))

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
Originally Posted by r3tro View Post
Now I locked the device by mistake, but I don't remember my PIN. Is there a way to reset/recover/disarm the pin without reflashing the whole device?
I've been wondering if re-flashing works as the manual says "send to nokia if you lose the code". further on it says that you'll lose all data, implying that re-flashing is the method.

Although it is locked, the device still connects via WLAN. But SSHing into N800 as root with "rootme" as password doesn't work.
hmmm, that's both interesting and annoying ....

- what is the user name of the default non-root user on the N800?
'user'

- is there a default-passwort for this non-root user?
not that I have yet been able to guess. if you attempt to run passwd as 'user' it says "The password for user cannot be changed.", but it appears to allow if you run 'passwd user' as root -- but I'm not yet willing to try setting a user account password

- what is the minimum length for PIN, can anyone check this? (I have a
not done any extensive testing, however the help docs say 5-10 chars and the default is 12345

P.S: the real problem is that the user isn't asked for his PIN when he _locks_ it. And there is not security question...
I agree that there should be something more here, tho not sure what -- asking for the pin to lock it might be an annoying extra step, while asking for a new code when locking would allow someone else to lock your tablet - probably even more annoying . disabling root login over ssh seems very much not right as by default I would expect root can do anything. assuming you did get in, any ideas where to reset the lock code? or are you just looking to copy files off the device?

rob.

Originally Posted by robmiller View Post
I've been wondering if re-flashing works as the manual says "send to nokia if you lose the code". further on it says that you'll lose all data, implying that re-flashing is the method.
Oh, i simply assumed that re-flashing would be the last resort if nothing else helps. I must confess I haven't read the manual. Having to send it to nokia would be even worse than I could image...

not that I have yet been able to guess. if you attempt to run passwd as 'user' it says "The password for user cannot be changed.", but it appears to allow if you run 'passwd user' as root -- but I'm not yet willing to try setting a user account password
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/InstallSsh

The tutorial for OpenSSH setup says that "user" could be unlocked, but then a password for "user" should be set. I didn't do that. I cannot connect as "root" with "rootme" to, I think

I agree that there should be something more here, tho not sure what -- asking for the pin to lock it might be an annoying extra step, while asking for a new code when locking would allow someone else to lock your tablet - probably even more annoying . disabling root login over ssh seems very much not right as by default I would expect root can do anything.
I think I have locked root, as the SSH install guide suggests. I need to find the right private key for SSH, I think I did create an authorized_keys for key-based authentication (I think for the "user" account), but I don't remember: it's a long time since i tested ssh access :/

assuming you did get in, any ideas where to reset the lock code? or are you just looking to copy files off the device?
No idea, just hope :-)

I would try to recover the files and settings, at least.

Thx,
Sebastian

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Texas USA
I just got a 800 tablet and attempted to lock the device on bootup which is what I had done with my Nokia 770. I entered what I thought was the pin i wanted to set (7 digits). But it kept saying it was invalid code. I tried the standard 12345 and it didn't work either.

What is strange to me is on the box where you input the password, above it is this:

1/3

What does that mean?

1/3 just means that you're at stage one out of the three steps to locking.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Texas USA
Okay that's kinda helpful. What are the other two stages? I feel like I did things right, I KNOW I entered those 7 digits correctly. Then what?

Update: That was the clue bat upside the head that I needed! Thanks! Step one was to enter 12345, then enter my 7-digit PIN, then REENTER that new 7-digit pin.

Works like a charm. Thanks so much!!!!!

Last edited by jonimueller; 2007-11-10 at 04:57.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Now what to do if you bought your device from eBay, had been using it for a while and flashed it 2-3 times but just realised the default pin was not 12345 ? :-(

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Now what to do if you bought your device from eBay, had been using it for a while and flashed it 2-3 times but just realised the default pin was not 12345 ? :-(
Contact the seller?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Contact the seller?
Ok, that's fine, i was able to find the password in /dev/mtd* ...
I won't say more as i don't want stupid thief to abuse this, Linux people will know.

edit: i did try to contact them but still waiting for answers, this was faster

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
BTW, I have reflashed my N800 several times and it still remembers the lock code that I originally set. So a reflash doesn't seem to be a fix for a lost code.