Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
e2fsprogs-power tiem?
That made me chuckle

For now it's busybox-power time, well, uhm, tiem. A new release has been pushed to the auto builder. It incorporates the patch posted earlier and got synced up hotfixes for BusyBox 1.19.3.

I've skipped pushing busybox-power 1.19.3power2 to Maemo's extras, because it didn't play nice with the root shell functionality in BackupMenu. Busybox-power 1.19.3power4 will be pushed to extras-testing tomorrow, but that'll unfortunately require everyone to re-vote it up again (for good reasons though). Please submit this new release to some more testing than usual as the incorporated patch is relatively invasive. I'm not expecting any issues however .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
I have been using the patched version from the moment it was released and I have seen no issues. So I have all the confidence in upcoming 1.19.3power4 release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Add.: sorry for the off-topic rant!

Originally Posted by ade View Post
found the reason for my initial reboot loop: just before installing busybox, I replaced /usr/bin/camera-ui, but forgot to make it executable again. And camera-ui is loaded on boot...
There's really something broken in Maemo. I can just now accept a reboot loop just because some binary that is completely unnecessary for booting is not marked as executable.

*THIS* would be something worth a CSSU!

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by iDont View Post
A new release has been pushed to the auto builder. It incorporates the patch posted earlier and got synced up hotfixes for BusyBox 1.19.3.

I've skipped pushing busybox-power 1.19.3power2 to Maemo's extras, because it didn't play nice with the root shell functionality in BackupMenu. Busybox-power 1.19.3power4 will be pushed to extras-testing tomorrow, but that'll unfortunately require everyone to re-vote it up again (for good reasons though). Please submit this new release to some more testing than usual as the incorporated patch is relatively invasive. I'm not expecting any issues however .
I'm not sure I want to update. I actually prefer having a std. /bin/busybox and a suid /bin/busybox_root.

I mean, if using PING (among others) requires root priviledges, why should busybox bypass this? we can all use sudo when required.

Apparently there are good security reasons why TMPDIR and other env. vars are not inherited from suid binaries, and this is the standard behaviour in glibc, i.e. not considered a bug. I don't see why busybox also has to bypass this behaviour.

Aside from personal opinions or preferences, are there any *actual* problems caused by (1) having a separate suid busybox_root, and (2) leaving the TMPDIR behaviour as it is/was?

Would be happy to get an answer to the last question. Otherwise I might just stay with 1.19.3-power1, or do my own busybox, or get rid of busybox completely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I actually prefer having a std.
I'm sorry for being an off-topic bastard, but I just laughed out loud and probably woke up the neighbours.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raimu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Add.: sorry for the off-topic rant!

There's really something broken in Maemo. I can just now accept a reboot loop just because some binary that is completely unnecessary for booting is not marked as executable.

*THIS* would be something worth a CSSU!
Unfortunately, that's enabled for some sort of convenience reason by Nokia. The solution, of course, is to enable r-d mode.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Russia
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Unfortunately, that's enabled for some sort of convenience reason by Nokia. The solution, of course, is to enable r-d mode.
Installed last busybox-power, got reboot loop.
When I turn on N900, white screen appears, several seconds after it just turns off.

Enabling rd mode doesn't help.

I have (had) installed backupmenu-multiboot, but it's not starting by opening slide any more.

Is there any way to edit rootfs from PC? rescue-kernel from meego, I can start terminal but can't do anything to roots.

Can I somehow start backupmenu from PC with flasher?

Or should I just reflash rootfs and restore it from backup (I made some modifitions (customizations) after last backup, and I will get backup only at Monday, so I search for all other solutions)?

The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverYoung For This Useful Post:
using RescueOS, You need to mount rootfs somewhere (from terminal), before being able to make any changes.

I can't imagine, how installing busybox may be related to multiboot disappearance.

/Estel

// Edit

I'm also using backupmenu-multiboot (although, backupmenu component manually updated to latest one + tweaked to support ext4 /home - shouldn't matter, in this case) and update went without problems, rebooted many times since that.

So, it's worksforme.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-14 at 19:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I don't know, maybe my problem isn't related to busybox.
Reboot occured while I installed upgrade today (busybox and espeak), after that phone don't start.
Thanks for RescueOS, I'll try it right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverYoung For This Useful Post:
Big thanks for prompting RescueOS, I fixed phone without reflashing.
I had 0-sized /bin/busybox. Accidental reboot appeared in wrong time.

What is the reason of reboot I don't know, maybe enabled SR or ramzswap.

I think it was watchdog. 4Mb deb installs on my phone 15-20 minutes. (hildon-desktop starts to update menus from desktop-files, I have installed many-many programs)

Last edited by ForeverYoung; 2012-01-15 at 20:32. Reason: addition

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverYoung For This Useful Post: