Active Topics

Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I will try to make this link available for a few days:
https://187.115.25.181/public/n900/jessie.dd.xz
uploaded to dropbox:
https://db.tt/UvPwWoUm

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
I didn't yet get this working. I have one major problem with booting and couple on details.

I have one ext2-partition for jessie on my internal card: /dev/mmcblk0p4

I downloaded and mounted jessie.dd on my computer and this is what I got:
Code:
fdisk -l jessie.dd
jessie.dd1   *        4096      253951      124928    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
jessie.dd2          253952     3911679     1828864   83  Linux

sudo mount jessie.dd -o offset=$((4096 * 512)) partition1
sudo mount jessie.dd -o offset=$((253952 * 512)) partition2
I copied files to N900:/dev/mmcblk0p4. Files from partition1 (uImage,uInitrd,initrd.img-3.12.0-rc5+) under the /boot (on that 0p4 partition).

Then I installed u-boot (package name u-boot-flasher), do I need something more?

Then created item:
Code:
echo 'ITEM_NAME="debian jessie"
ITEM_KERNEL="/boot/uImage"
ITEM_INITRD="/boot/uInitrd"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p4"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext2"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p4 rootwait vram=12M console=tty0 quiet" ' > /etc/bootmenu.d/jessie.item
And run u-boot-update-bootmenu. (No errors).

Reboot with keyboard open and I can see penguin-menu, very same than on first post on U-boot thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613 (but version number is 2013.04). So where is my jessie-entry?

-----
I compiled kernel from v3.12-rc5-n900 branch (with your instructions: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=14). And I got uImage generated with mkimage (help with u-boot -thread #1).

How will I generate initrd.img-3.12.0-rc5+ and uInitrd?

-------
I tried 'debootstrap jessie' on Maemo, but it won't work because dpkg is too old. At least libaudit is compressed with xz and it needs something like dpkg-0.8.13.1 (and maemo5 has 0.7.20.2maemo13.1). Do you get workaround for that?

I run 'debootstrap -foreign' on ubuntu computer and then planning to run 'debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage' on N900, but chroot gives "too old kernel" or "Exec format error". Do you have workaround for that?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Then I installed u-boot (package name u-boot-flasher), do I need something more?
You need u-boot-tools, but it is probably in as a dep.

ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p4 rootwait vram=12M console=tty0 quiet" ' > /etc/bootmenu.d/jessie.item[/CODE]
This seems weird, but probably a typo.

Reboot with keyboard open and I can see penguin-menu, very same than on first post on U-boot thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613 (but version number is 2013.04). So where is my jessie-entry?
I am running the same u-boot version. If you don't see the jessie entry, there must be a problem in your u-boot config. Check the messages when you run u-boot-update-bootmenu and look for messages related to the jessie item file.
How will I generate initrd.img-3.12.0-rc5+ and uInitrd?
inside debian or in a chroot, you should configure your fstab and run
Code:
update-initramfs -k 3.12.0-rc5+ -c
This will build the initrd inside /boot. Then you run mkimage as described in https://elektranox.org/n900/kernel/uboot.html at the very end.

I tried 'debootstrap jessie' on Maemo, but it won't work because dpkg is too old. At least libaudit is compressed with xz and it needs something like dpkg-0.8.13.1 (and maemo5 has 0.7.20.2maemo13.1). Do you get workaround for that?
I installed on device debootstraping to wheezy, and then upgrading to jessie. This has one additional advantage, as chroot works, and you can chroot into debian to make things boot quickly. Once you upgrade to jessie, chroot says that kernel is too old.

So why not stay in wheezy? Because e17 with illume is available in jessie, and in my view this is the most touch friendly option we have atm.

That being said, I built the jessie image using another arm device. A rooted android phone or tablet with external card should do the job. I used a cubieboard. In the end, that's why I published the image, as there are several annoying details to overcome.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Still uboot -problem:
(Yes, this is my first time to use u-boot)

1) I wrote jessie.dd to the SD-card. (with 'fdisk -l' I can verity this step worked)

2) installed u-boot-flasher which also installs u-boot-tools. (I also installed and then removed bootmenu, can it affect? )

3) Created file: /etc/bootmenu.d/10-jessie.item with content from post#1 (using ssh copy-paste -> no typos)

4) run u-boot-update-bootmenu, full log:
Code:
Adding bootmenu entry for: 'Maemo 5 with attached kernel 2.6.28-omap1 (Internal Nand)'

Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu.d/10-jessie.item
Adding bootmenu entry for: 'debian jessie @ SD'

Generating u-boot bootmenu script...
And it generates /home/user/MyDocs/bootmenu.scr, which is binary file, but I can see it contains also jessie-entry:
Code:
strings /home/user/MyDocs/bootmenu.scr
bootmenu
setenv bootmenu_0 'Maemo 5 with attached kernel 2.6.28-omap1 (Internal Nand)=run attachboot';setenv bootmenu_1 'debian jessie @ SD=setenv mmcnum 0;setenv mmcpart 1;setenv mmctype fat;setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait vram=12M console=tty0 quiet;setenv setup_omap_atag 1;setenv mmckernfile /boot/uImage;setenv mmcinitrdfile /boot/uInitrd;setenv mmcscriptfile;run trymmckerninitrdboot;';setenv bootmenu_2;
Folder /home/user/MyDocs/bootmenu.img.d/ is empty. (I don't know how it should be, but it has same timestamp than bootmenu.scr)

5) reboot with keyboard open
-> uboot-menu without jessie-entry:

There are these five entries:
*Attached kernel
*Internal eMMC
*External SD Card
*U-boot boot order
*U-boot console

What I'm missing?

[EDIT]
I found that maemo5 can't mount ext4 partition on jessie.dd. So could this be an issue? (even u-boot supports ext4).
[/EDIT]

Last edited by AapoRantalainen; 2014-05-31 at 19:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Formating fat partition probably solve this issue. Check u-boot thread and similar problems: http://213.128.137.28/showpost.php?p...&postcount=618

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
Formating fat partition probably solve this issue. Check u-boot thread [...]
Indeed problem was ~corrupted MyDocs-partition. I had repartitioned internal card with backupmenu+gparted and there was something happened to the vfat-partition. Even Fremantle can read it, u-boot can't.

Code:
#backup MyDocs (if needed)
#cp -r MyDocs/ MyDocs_backup

root
umount /home/user/MyDocs
#if 'device is busy' use:
#lsof /home/user/MyDocs
#kill 

mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1

#reboot to remount, or 
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs -o rw,noauto,nodev,noexec,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=0133,rodir
exit
#roll backups back
#cp -a MyDocs_backup/. MyDocs
#You will get a lot of: "cannot preserve ownership of XXX #Operation not permitted" (because copying from ext to fat)
And then I got my entries visible on bootmenu.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Next problem:

Now I have jessie on my bootmenu, but choosing it doesn't work.

(With ubuntu computer) I downloaded jessie.dd.xz and uncompressed it. Then attached SD-card and checked what device it is. Run:
Code:
sudo dd if=jessie.dd of=/dev/mmcblk0
(With N900)
Attached SD-card and booted keyboard closed. Checked that first partition of SD card got automounted "/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmc1" and it contains files "initrd.img-3.12.0-rc5+ uImage uInitrd".
Note: it is /dev/mmcblk1p1. Is this wrong? What I can do for it?

Second partition (/dev/mmcblk1p2) can't be mounted because it is ext4 (and default kernel doesn't support ext4, I think). Is this critical?

Booted keyboard open and selected jessie on bootmenu, but it ends:
Code:
mmc0 is current device
reading /boot/uInitrd
** Unable to read file /boot/uInitrd

Extra commands
How to proceed? If my external card goes to mmc1, what is mmc0 then? And how to fix it?

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Maybe just typo now?

In bootmenu.scr you wrote /boot/uImage and in above post just /uImage?
Double check that.

About mmcblk: in the bootmenu mmcnum0 is the SD card and mmcnum1 is eMMC device. In the config entries you should use ${EXT_CARD} to avoid confusion.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
And how to fix it?

I suggest you install kp52 for two reasons: you will be able to validate your u-boot setup and it has support for ext4.

In a previous post you had an item file pointing to the emmc partition. Have you reverted that back to vfat on the sd?

Last edited by caveman; 2014-06-01 at 11:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Hello Aapo, I had the same problem (** Unable to read file /boot/uInitrd) and it took me hours to see that uInitrd and other files wasn't in folder /boot.
So mkdir boot and then mv files in boot dir.

Hope this helps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sakrabojski For This Useful Post: