Active Topics

you have Nokia stocks in your portfolio?
Yes i have - Stock Purchase (new entry) by 7,60 €

my purchase of the N900 is secured - but Nokia do not want

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by frank.wagner View Post
I have understood the Nokia Policy

Nokia had a technological advantage - at least 12 months (to start the N800)...

...And the worst case is -

When Nokia earns no money with the N900 - Then they let the project fall (faster than some people in the maemo Community think - because first priority at Nokia has Symbian)

and that would be very very sad - for the Maemo Linux Project

that is the reason - why I am so angry (grumble)
Maemo and the tablet form factor are 2 different things...
I don't believe Nokia had planned on making any money on the previous tablets... they just provided a platform with which to make steady, incremental steps with the development of Maemo.

If they "make" money on volume sales of the next Maemo device it will be an indicator of the quality of the OS and not the hardware or even the form factor that runs it.

It is in Nokia's best interest to provide the best hardware available for any Maemo device that they bring to market.
In the end it will be Maemo that sells these devices and it will be Maemo that will be incorrectly judged if the hardware is inferior, IMHO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
It is in Nokia's best interest to provide the best hardware available for any Maemo device that they bring to market.
I hope so, but Nokia also optimized (cost side) sometimes false

http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n97-4...wered-2842038/
Nokia N97 424MHz ARM11 CPU confirmed: underpowered?

Nokia have released hardware specifications for their N97 smartphone, and it makes for disappointing reading for anyone hoping the QWERTY handset would pack the same CPU and GPU grunt as recent rivals. According to Nokia, the N97 uses an ARM11 434MHz processor and 128MB of RAM; that’s actually less than the Nokia XpressMusic 5630, which musters up a 600MHz CPU.

Now in our hands-on experience with the N97 - running pre-production code, no less - it’s not exactly been sluggish in switching between apps, but neither has it shown the same perkiness as other devices we’ve seen. You can see a video demo of the N97 in action below, but bear in mind we shot that footage four months ago at CES 2009.

Nokia told us at the event that they’re working on streamlining the OS even further, and we imagine general use won’t exhibit too much slowdown when the smartphone launches. Anything that demands pure hardware grunt, however, might now show up the N97 as being significantly underpowered compared to not only rival manufacturers’ handsets but cellphones from Nokia’s own range.

Originally Posted by frank.wagner View Post
I hope so, but Nokia also optimized (cost side) sometimes false
The quote in your post and most of your concerns would be relevant if this were a Symbian forum.
In light of some of Nokia's statements and decisions I am surprised that more Symbian fanboi's are not upset.

To me it appears Symbian devices are being moved down a tier in Nokia's product line up making way for a more robust and flexible OS in the upper tier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Seems like a good thread ("no announcement no product") to point out that today's announcement is an excellent signpost on the roadmap...

Actually, if you notice, the roadmap ends at today's event, with only the cryptic phrase:

"Final release when ready. "

Ha, we might still beat Pandora yet!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I think part of the point being: You can take the best software in the world and pair it with either inferior hardware or inferior form factor and the result is (however unfairly) the software being judged a failure as well.

I suspect the announcement is coming within the next month...

Why you might ask?

I was all set to order a n810 from Amazon last Friday. I loaded it up in my shipping cart but didn't get it ordered.

Then, on Monday, I logged in to my account and noticed that Amazon has dropped the n810 from its direct sale inventory. There are plenty of resellers offering it on Amazon.com, but Amazon pulled it.

The only reason I can think of that they would do that is to avoid 500 returns from n810 purchases made in the 30 days leading up to an announcement!!

And this lines up with the release of the beta software and the mysteriously absent continuation of the SDK development time line.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinnov For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't know what to believe after qgil's discouraging posts (1) (2):

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Hold on. Today we had an SDK beta release, that will be a more solid beta in one month. "Beta SDK" refers to the platform components providing APIs and the SDK tool itself. But if you are talking about 'new devices brought to you' you need to take into account the components tied to the hardware that are not published in the SDK and the applications that are equally missing there.

This beta is out now because we (and you) wanted to give as much time as possible to application developers to have their software ready for the final release.

This beta is also out now because we (and you) wanted to support the Mer project aka Fremantle community edition for N800/N810 giving them as much time as possible to work.
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Sorry if that disappointed you. On the other hand, let me remind you that if we would follow your desired schedule probably yourself and surely others would...

blame us for not thinking about the developers giving them the time and the means to have their apps ready before sales start. And not thinking about the users missing dditional applications to install and expand their usage of the device.

blame us for throwing a release out without giving time to have a Extras community process in place and therefore upsetting users for offering them some apps that have installation problem, crash, drain batteries and so on.

probably also blame us for the quality of the software in the first release. Think that the frozen API is also frozen for ouselves.

Then somebody would go down to the us not-learning, not-getting-it and so on.

You want everything and you want it now. That's fine... but we have our timing and priorities to deliver stuff.

If you want to help to have better products sooner a good way to do it is to come up with great applications and a way to make them move from extras-devel to extras-testing and extras, rwaching good and stable quality at the end exposed to Maemo 5 users.
All in response to my comments that this was the last signpost on the Maemo 5 roadmap, so I was hoping for a June 21 date for the new hardware.

So I'm even more disappointed now, yeah. I can only hope for a device by September now.

But even in my sadness, I keep hoping... hoping he's just saying that, and we'll see a new device early this summer.

But I really don't think so anymore.

@qole

I'm much more interested in the what than the when. My warped logic says it's more advantages to me the longer it takes. It's given me ample time to express my displeasure at hinted or proposed changes of both hardware and software. And market conditions, both recession and competition, might have a positive effect on pricing. So, I'm actually naively optimistic. For the amount of use I plan on getting out of the device, I'd rather Nokia get it right than rush things. Sure I could be ultimately disappointed, but I've pushed that emotion out into the future. Where it belongs. In the meantime, there's plenty to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I don't know what to believe after qgil's discouraging posts (1) (2):

All in response to my comments that this was the last signpost on the Maemo 5 roadmap, so I was hoping for a June 21 date for the new hardware.

So I'm even more disappointed now, yeah. I can only hope for a device by September now.

But even in my sadness, I keep hoping... hoping he's just saying that, and we'll see a new device early this summer.

But I really don't think so anymore.
Now here is some hope for ya. Try this on for size...

Since Nokia and the Boys from Brazil (QG's and Canola Team) more active role in this community many of the things we bizached and moaned about during and after previous releases are being addressed.

Wouldn't it be lovely if not only would there be a Developer Device Program this time, but that program would get devices in developers hands in a more timely manner?

Like before the general release?

BTW, you're still young... It's good to hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?